Atari Space Riders Repair/Restoration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, I have been working through that.
    Changed all the strobe chips and all the solenoid driver chips, was working through the switch circuits just using the watchdog that runs with no EPROM in and all the F3 to 13 are dead too.
    Anyway, after replacing the CPU and making sure the nmi signal was good on pin 6 it looks like it runs with Leon's rom, I can see pulsing signals at all outputs of the chips I have replaced.
    RS components have the 74145s I need, so ordered them. Currently at 17 chips dead.
    Have you seen anything that says which chips would normally be affected ?
    My machine has been dead for at least 6 years
    Lots of other stuff to do, wiring needs work and fuse boards are a bit 'confusing' however the manual is quite good.

Comment

Come on [MENTION=5936]raysco[/MENTION], you can do it!

Comment

Ok, It's been a while but I'd have a functional Space Riders MPU and AUX board in their way back to me.

I'm just quoting John's Email here, but apparently the issues were -

The 74LS14 at C9 (pin 13) was damaged (switch return) and was always LOW on output so the CPU read all switches as active, the second issue was the 74LS08 are C/D-8 which had pins 6 (D3B) and 8 (D1B) stuck low which knocked the data lines D3B and D1B out and accounted for bad scoring data and missing Solenoids as that affected the Data lines selecting on the 74LS157/9334s @ C19 & C17....

So there it is folks. Can't wait to get this all back together and start doing fun stuff like replacing rubbers, globes and making thing shiny again.

Comment

[MENTION=8741]Dedrok[/MENTION]
          FYI Edy-boy
          ************************************************** *******************
          Remember--The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Comment

Atari Space Riders Repair/Restoration.

Originally posted by furballx View Post
            [MENTION=8741]Dedrok[/MENTION]
            FYI Edy-boy
            Thanks doofus.

Space Rider and Middle Earth burning smell is the power supply.
            Need to work out the test bench.
            But sys 80ís first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            The Artist Formally Known As #1

Comment

Ok, so I received the boards back from John and reinstalled them. And no dice. Still broken.

I'd say I was surprised, but I'm really not. Things are rarely that simple.

Now when I turn the machine on, all I'm getting is some weird output on the credit/score display.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20190506182054.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	1848156

On the upside, it doesn't seem as if the board is in constant reset anymore. I've sent an email off to Johns Jukes seeking advice so I guess it's a matter of wait and see for now.

Comment

Did you miss a pin when the cables were plugged in, It's easy to do.
                Gemini2544's 4th Pinball meet Saturday 21/03/2020

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini2544 View Post
                  Did you miss a pin when the cables were plugged in, It's easy to do.

Nah, I triple checked the cables.... They all look good.

Now for the good news. I now have a fully function Atari Space Riders MPU in my possession. After a lot of head scratching and cursing, not to mention some Email pong with John in BC, it turned out that my issues were caused by a dodgy connection in the 6-pin plug on the AUX board. I just gave it a slight wiggle and it all came to life. The score display is still wacky, the right kicker switches aren't working, half my globes are bung and all the rubbers are shot (naturally). And then there is all of the cosmetic stuff that needs fixing.

Just with that score display, it is functioning. As in it is counting the score properly but it has a bunch of dead segments. My hunch is that the problem must be in the display unit itself... Any ideas?

I gotta give a shout out to John @ Johns Jukes in British Columbia. The guy did what he said he was going to do, when he said he'd do it and for a good price. The shipping cost more than the repair itself. He was really quick to reply to my Emails and seemed determined to help me get things up and running when it looked like it was all going pear-shaped. I can't speak highly enough of him.

Comment

Glad to hear. I think my boards are working but transformer dead.
                    Post a vid when it's all running.
                    Would love to revive the old Ataris.
                    Mine looks like it's destined to be a VPCab

Comment

Looking at this pix of yours seeing that all the displays sections are doing the same thing I'd be looking at the display driver i.c or even the ribbon cable and connectors.
                      Gemini2544's 4th Pinball meet Saturday 21/03/2020

Comment

Yeah start with the ribbon cable, they are shocking in these games.
                        In fact start at all connectors seeing as that was the mpu issue at the end too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        The Artist Formally Known As #1

Comment

Originally posted by raysco View Post
                          Forgive my ignorance here, I know I'm probably over simplifying things but wouldn't it be possible to remove the original PSU entirely and replace it with something that can supply the correct voltages and enough amps? I'll get a video up for ya once I have it all sorted.

Originally posted by Gemini2544 View Post
                          Looking at this pix of yours seeing that all the displays sections are doing the same thing I'd be looking at the display driver i.c or even the ribbon cable and connectors.
                          https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachm...131611&thumb=1
                          I'm thinking driver IC too, but I'll be sure to check that cable out.

Comment

I found you another Transformer? Was it too expensive?

Comment

Hi Doug,
                              I spoke to Mark and he said he will dig it out at some time. Haven't heard anything else and no mention of a price

Comment

Hi Doug,
                                I spoke to Mark and he said he will dig it out at some time. Haven't heard anything else and no mention of a price
                                hes been away ill see if i can find out for you

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X