Data East Power Supply C2 cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data East Power Supply C2 cap

Been recently working on some Data East machines and have come across what seems to be a common problem.

I have found the cap at C2 a 100uf 25v to be leaking, in the past few weeks I have now repaired 4 powers supplies all with leaking caps at C2. A friend checked his machines after experiencing problems and found the same problem on his two machines.

The problem is you can only see the leaking after you remove the cap.
    WANTED

Another Holiday

I am assuming that this would apply to early Sega machines as well.

What are the symptoms that caused you to look at replacing the cap?

Any pics of the leaking?

I have got a JP and Frankenstein and would like to address the problem before it starts

Comment

Originally posted by Talby View Post
      I am assuming that this would apply to early Sega machines as well.

What are the symptoms that caused you to look at replacing the cap?

Any pics of the leaking?

I have got a JP and Frankenstein and would like to address the problem before it starts
      Yes I would imagine that it would include the Sega games as well.

First machine wouldn't bootup reliably.

Second machine the sound board kept rebooting.

Third had no 5V.

I now check the C2 on every machine I repair.

The first 2 power supplies had corrosion from where the cap had leaked.

Sorry didn't think at the time to take pics.

Should also be noted that these were all DMD games.
      WANTED

Another Holiday

Comment

Thanks for the info, may go and hunt down some replacement caps and do both my machines. Can these particular caps be sourced easily at somewhere like Jaycar?

I've got a couple of spares but they are 15000uF 25V unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by humpalot View Post
          Been recently working on some Data East machines and have come across what seems to be a common problem.

I have found the cap at C2 a 100uf 25v to be leaking, in the past few weeks I have now repaired 4 powers supplies all with leaking caps at C2. A friend checked his machines after experiencing problems and found the same problem on his two machines.

The problem is you can only see the leaking after you remove the cap.
          I would also replace C7 (330uf cap from memory), I have had a heap of Data East pins come in the last couple of months for repair and more to come.
          I pretty much replace these as soon as they come in.

Originally posted by Talby View Post
          Thanks for the info, may go and hunt down some replacement caps and do both my machines. Can these particular caps be sourced easily at somewhere like Jaycar?

I've got a couple of spares but they are 15000uF 25V unfortunately.
          Jaycar do stock the smaller caps
          Last edited by mooncresta; 10th June 2009, 05:59 PM. Reason: Auto Merged Double Post.
          "You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today.
          They left a little note on the windscreen.
          It said, 'Parking Fine.' So that was nice."

Comment

Yep I change the C7 as well, but have only found 1 leaking one so far.
            WANTED

Another Holiday

Comment

OK so on a Data East/Sega machine, what should I be looking at changing as preventative maintenance?

Comment

Change all the caps and fuse holders on the power supply board.
                I'm getting in 3 a week now with power supply problems caused by leaking caps corroding tracks and these bloody crappy fuse holders, everytime you check a fuse, you can feel one lose its tension and snap off.
                All these games are now around 16 years old. This sort of stuff happens with electronics.

Comment

I've tried changing one of those fuse holders before and although it had snapped, it just didn't want to let go of the board and it started peeling the green layer off the board. I got scared after that and abandoned any more repairs on that board.

End result was a pretty ordinary looking solder on the fuse holder to cover up the tear in the green layer.

Sounds like just another job to add to the never ending list of little niggly repairs to take care of.

Comment

These power supply boards always seem to give you grief
                    They are not a very expensive board only about $100 au and sometimes are
                    just easier to replace
                    At least it give you peace of mind specially if you are on selling

Comment

Originally posted by morrieman View Post
                      These power supply boards always seem to give you grief
                      They are not a very expensive board only about $100 au and sometimes are
                      just easier to replace
                      At least it give you peace of mind specially if you are on selling
                      Is there anyone in Aus selling them at that price? I am looking at peace of mind for myself knowing the machine will work when I want it to.

Comment

I have bought them from rottendog for $75us before but i just checked his site and he seems to be out of stock
                        Give wayne a try as i think he is a distributor or at least stocks rottendog boards

Comment

Originally posted by mooncresta View Post
                          I would also replace C7 (330uf cap from memory), I have had a heap of Data East pins come in the last couple of months for repair and more to come.
                          I pretty much replace these as soon as they come in.

Jaycar do stock the smaller caps
                          I wouldnt use Jaycar 105 deg caps (Suntan brand ) if they were free .They dont like the heat in power supplies . The local store near by has admitted there's issues with them .Their low ESR caps seem ok . I buy else where now anyway.
                          Wanted Hot Hand back Glass in GC

Comment

Marco specialties have replacement power supply boards which have been modernised at $100 US - check them out .

Comment

Originally posted by morrieman View Post
                              I have bought them from rottendog for $75us before but i just checked his site and he seems to be out of stock
                              Give wayne a try as i think he is a distributor or at least stocks rottendog boards
                              Be cautious of the Rottendog power supply boards. A component used as part of the high voltage section to power the DMD is run way over spec. I spoke with Jim at Rottendog about this and he told me it was an Australian problem. I don't agree with that. According to one of his distributors in the USA, it was a known fault and was being fixed.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X