The danger of working on pinballs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The danger of working on pinballs

I have been playing around with pinballs for almost 20 years now. Today, two things happened to me that really made me think about all the newer pinball owners working on their own games.

Having 2 very young children, I try and be extra careful, working around electricity.
    I was working on an older Williams solid state game today, I was removing a burnt out knocker coil with the playfield raised and the power turned off at the cabinet switch. The knocker is located halfway down the lefthand side of the cabinet beside the power line filter. Not thinking, I started removing the knocker assembly screws with screwdriver when the assembly fell and pushed the screwdriver onto a live 240v terminal. Lucky for me, I have a very good safety cutout switch in the fusebox. This is dangerous location for the knocker assembly and I should have unplugged the power at the wall.

Then less then 20 mins later, I was rebuilding a pop bumper on an old em pinball, these have very old and thick solder, heating the solder to remove the gi wires was taking ages, I pull the wire as I heated, flicking hot solder into my eyelid. What a stupid thing to do, it really hurts when that happens, would have been bad if it burnt my eyeball.

It goes to show, that we all must be very careful working on our games, if in doubt about any live wires, just unplug and be extra safe to live another day.

And wear safety goggles when soldering All sound advice.

Comment

I allways turn off at the mains, I didnt allways, and have learnt by a small buzz lol

Comment

Woka just tests it with his mouth.

Comment

i always unplugg at the mains

ive learnt to never trust a switch recently
          you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

Unplug from the mains, don't trust anybody.
            Who knows if the switch or the machine are wired switching neutral.

Comment

Great message. Just when you think your an expert at something it sneaks up and bites you on the arse. Or flicks you in the eye...

Safety begins at home an really there is really no such things as accidents just events that were not under control.
              Last edited by bigdaddy; 19th May 2009, 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling. Skool Taut me nofin

Comment

Tony you are simply getting old
                I will take all your machine off your hands so you do not injure yourself again

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
                  Woka just tests it with his mouth.
                  BAHAHAHAHA id forgotten about that

Comment

Glad to hear that you're OK Tony ....

Yes electricity is an invisible danger that you usually only get one chance with (lucky for you , you had a RCD installed ). Good reminder to us all to be extra vigilant and remove all sources of power by unplugging machines before maintenance.

You should go and buy a lottery ticket Tony .... And if you win a million $ then you can shout all of us 1 pinny each ...

Comment

shit T
                      hope that wasn't a disco fever that nearly cooked you had a couple of close calls myself lately. RCD's! or residual current devices save lives - install them if you don't have em guys and I also use one of those live wire buzzers, it's a good habit to get into into.

Comment

Thanks for posting this Tony. Some very good advice by other members too.

Working on pinball machines must always be treated with caution and safe working practices.

Cheers,

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserMan View Post
                          Glad to hear that you're OK Tony ....

Yes electricity is an invisible danger that you usually only get one chance with (lucky for you , you had a RCD installed ). Good reminder to us all to be extra vigilant and remove all sources of power by unplugging machines before maintenance.

You should go and buy a lottery ticket Tony .... And if you win a million $ then you can shout all of us 1 pinny each ...

Yes I will do that tomorrow and if I win it will be drinks and pins all round.

Originally posted by stuba View Post
                          shit T
                          hope that wasn't a disco fever that nearly cooked you had a couple of close calls myself lately. RCD's! or residual current devices save lives - install them if you don't have em guys and I also use one of those live wire buzzers, it's a good habit to get into into.
                          No Stu, it was the World Cup thats now on ebay. I haven't got to those ones of yours yet.

Originally posted by Fair Dinkum Dan View Post
                          Thanks for posting this Tony. Some very good advice by other members too.

Working on pinball machines must always be treated with caution and safe working practices.

Cheers,

Dan
                          We all can't thank you enough Dan for all your help to any body in need. Also a big thanks for posting all those pictures from the weekend. I'm disappointed that I missed catching up with everybody.
                          Last edited by The Pinball Shed; 19th May 2009, 09:55 PM. Reason: Auto Merged Double Post.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinball Shed View Post
                            No Stu, it was the World Cup thats now on ebay. I haven't got to those ones of yours yet.
                            So the World Cup is 'used' and perhaps 'dangeous' now, and you can let me have it for half price!
                            Wish List : Nugent, World Cup 78, Joker Poker, Silverball Mania, Cosmic Princess.

Comment

there's a big danger working on ems getting hit on the head by the playfield

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X