Setting playfield angle without inclinometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting playfield angle without inclinometer

I'm sure this is nothing new - but I am finally using my high school trig to setup the playfield at the recommended 6.5 degrees.

I wanted a way to setup my playfield angle without having to get an inclinometer, so worked this out so I can use my normal level.

A picture tells it better than I could in words - I used a level, a ruler a g-clamp and some maths:

Oh, and don't scratch your playfield - use some masking tape on any sharp corners....

Apologies for rough pic - my phone is all I have handy right now for pics
    Attached Files
    Last edited by askjacob; 15th April 2008, 12:19 PM. Reason: actually mentioned the angle :)

Good post Thanks
    AROUND THE LEFT ORBIT, THROUGH THE POP BUMPERS, OFF THE STAND-UPS, INTO THE RIGHT VUK, DOWN THE RIGHT INLANE, UP THE CENTRE RAMP;NOTHING BUT JACKPOT!

Comment

Originally posted by askjacob View Post
      I'm sure this is nothing new - but I am finally using my high school trig.

I wanted a way to setup my playfield angle without having to get an inclinometer, so worked this out so I can use my normal level.

A picture tells it better than I could in words - I used a level, a ruler a g-clamp and some maths:

Oh, and don't scratch your playfield - use some masking tape on any sharp corners....

Apologies for rough pic - my phone is all I have handy right now for pics
      ****, I think I will just buy the inclinometer

Matthew

Comment

Pretty simple really. Instead of clamping something at 90deg to the spirit level you could just tape a piece of 35mm wood(very common size) to it at 309.1mm
        Better than lashing out on a tool that you would hardly ever use.Good one askjacob
        AROUND THE LEFT ORBIT, THROUGH THE POP BUMPERS, OFF THE STAND-UPS, INTO THE RIGHT VUK, DOWN THE RIGHT INLANE, UP THE CENTRE RAMP;NOTHING BUT JACKPOT!

Comment

Originally posted by indazone gav View Post
          Pretty simple really. Instead of clamping something at 90deg to the spirit level you could just tape a piece of 35mm wood(very common size) to it at 309.1mm
          Better than lashing out on a tool that you would hardly ever use.Good one askjacob
          True, but lashing out on a tool I hardly ever use might end up being cheaper than fixing a scratched playfield, which is likely to happen in my case

Matthew

Comment

Fair enough

Comment

OK, this might not be as complicated as I first thought, but let me just check my understanding:

1) Using a G clamp, clamp a ruler to a spirit level 309.1mm from the left edge of the level.
              2) Make sure the angles between the level and the ruler are 90 degrees.
              3) Make sure the ruler hangs down 35mm from the bottom of the spirit level.
              4) Place the left edge of the spirit level on the playfield, then bring the level down so that the ruler also touches the playfield.
              5) Adjust the front leg levellers as required until the spirit level bubble is exactly in the middle.

Is this correct?

Matthew

Comment

yes or find something that is 35mm thick and tape it to the level @ 309.1mm. Less chance of scatching this way.

Comment

Originally posted by indazone gav View Post
                  yes or find something that is 35mm thick and tape it to the level @ 309.1mm. Less chance of scatching this way.
                  Ummm sorry to be a pain in the arse, but which way would the "something that is 35mm thick" thing be taped to the level?

Matthew

Comment

Yeah, thats the ticket.

I was hoping to find some nice even numbers, but this was as good as I could get it...

It does look a bit over the top at first, but is really quite simple.

felixthadog, your description is quite good for the method!

For the taping method - intead of the ruler hanging down 35mm at 309.1mm, you would tape the block to the level at that same location.

.... or use a wooden ruler rather than metal or plastic to prevent scratching...
                    Last edited by askjacob; 17th March 2008, 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

And who said Maths and Triginometery at school wouldn't come in handy later in life ......

Comment

A mate of mine who own's a Bally Corvette made a simple little platform with the top being flat and the taper of the flanges being 6.5 used in conjuction with a short spirit level you can set up games across as well as up/slope. Takes about 5 mins to go across the P/F and adust leg levelleres to suit. Any one interested and in this miraculous device we may have a patent pending on it
                        http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/forum.../138-RAIL-WAYS

Comment

Originally posted by JPD View Post
                          A mate of mine who own's a Bally Corvette made a simple little platform with the top being flat and the taper of the flanges being 6.5 used in conjuction with a short spirit level you can set up games across as well as up/slope. Takes about 5 mins to go across the P/F and adust leg levelleres to suit. Any one interested and in this miraculous device we may have a patent pending on it
                          I'll happily purchase a prototype from you now rather than wait for the patent to be approved

Matthew

Comment

Is 6.5' the 'universal' recommended angle of all playfields?
                            My Projects
                            sigpic

Comment

On my machines the glass looks like it is the same angle as the playfield, so if you didn't want to scratch your playfield, couldn't you just set it up on the glass?

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X