Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of offering a dmd repair service.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of offering a dmd repair service.

I have a technical background and I know replacement displays are $200+
    I can repair scrambled sections and stuck lines. Basically anything except problems with the actual tube.

Is there much demand for this?
    For those interested, what sort of pricing would you want to pay for repairs like these?

This is inspired by an ic replacement I just did on my own dmd to fix a vertical line which was stuck on
    Always remember you are unique; Just like everyone else.

Share the love and teach us how and keep the hobby alive! Post your fix in Pinwiki for the world to see! Other wise I guess I'd pay around $50 for a guaranteed repair, mind you I would do a lot of my own fault finding before I would send it off to anyone.

Comment

Great idea but postage at $15 each way would hurt...

Comment

Theres really not much to it, it's either broken traces or one of the driver ics.
        If its horizontal lines its probably the horizontal driver ic, if its vertical follow the traces back to the ic to find out which one it is.

The difficulty is in desoldering the old chip and soldering the new one, theyre all surface mount with pins on four sides.

Even if it's just a local service I dont mind, I just thought I'd put the idea out there I was thinking $50 each too

Comment

Great offer, even if it is only for local Adelaideans

Comment

I'm sure at $50 you'd get interest. There are people who like to keep their machines as original as possible who would gladly pay to keep their DMDs alive.
            The Barn - 2020 - 7th and 8th of August
            SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

Comment

Lets give it a go then, anyone got any to be fixed?

Comment

How about an exchange service offering next day turn around..?

You have a repaired one on hand, I send you my failed one, you send out a fixed one, repair my failed one and put it back into stock.

Comment

I like the idea but I'll end up stuck with a blown tube if I do that. We'll see how many Irreparables I get first.
                  Also no fix no fee.
                  If I have the parts in stock itll be an hour turnaround anyway.

Comment

I suppose you have to factor in the 'fail to fix' rate and price that into the service accordingly.. But I understand where your coming from.

Though its similiar to your 'no fix - no fee' service.. It takes time and time is money to diagnose to the stage where you determine its irrepairable. Say, one in 20 non repairable v's time to determine if they are indeed repairable. Where's your time (money) better spent..?

Comment

What's your success rate at fixing missing lines as this is a more common problem than stuck on lines

Comment

Most of the irrepairables would be easy to spot based on what displays onscreen. I'm happy enough to do exchanges on dmds with scrambled images (assuming I can get a spare one) because I know those are repairable, ones with other issues are more case by case basis.

I understand where youre coming from with the flat rate exchange and just factoring dead ones into the price, and it could be viable but I'll need a couple of spare dmds before I can start that.

For now I'll have to repair yours and send it back.

Comment

Missing lines are one of those problems that need to be attempted before knowing if it will be successful. Most of the time it seems to be the ribbon whih is easy to bypass but if the line is cracked inside the glass it's not really repairable. The glass can be ground away a bit but its risky.

Comment

I think its a great service.
                            Anytime someone cant fix something themselves, its good to know someone else can.
                            I would gladly pay.

Comment

I have a spare one, missing 2 lines that will need the glass ground away, prob worth a shot as it is nice and bright.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X