Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gottlieb is Dead

Hi Guys
    I have a Gottlieb Machine which had a badly corroded CPU board, the machine was dead. I purchased a new CPU board and put the old chip in the motherboard and the machine is dead. No Power.

We checked the Power and it comes in and goes to the PSU at the front and then power goes to the transformer but seems to have no power after that.

We have checked the switches at the front and they seem ok.

The machine was not working when i got it and was advised it is a faulty CPU board.

Could the ROM chip be faulty and be causing no power?

Any thoughts?
    THanks
    Matt
    "When life hands you lemons - Grab the salt & pass the tequila baby..."

http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm
    BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When your down here with us, you'll float too!

Comment

Hi there

can you give us some information

1) - which machine is it - i assume either a system 1 games (77-80) or a system 80 (80 - 85) as these had indemic problems with battery corrosion -

2) have you checked the fuses?

3) have you checked the power coming into the power supply board and then going out (unplug driver board and displays when doing this) - be careful as there is high AC power going into the PSU

4) have I already completely confused you?

PM me or post if you need further help - Gottliebs are painful but rewarding - actually that applies to all pinballs

Ric
      Ric
      looking for:
      the baseboard for a Gottlieb Royal Guard
      Zaccaria Devil Riders Backglass
      Williams OXO, GTB Volcano

Comment

Power to the front? Do you mean power to the on/off switch under the cabinet? The power should stepdown from 240V to 110 at the transformer, this then goes to the power supply board located in the headbox. Is power making to there?
        WANTED

Another Holiday

Comment

OK Sorry i should have included more information.

THe unit is a Wipeout Unit. A System 80

I have checked ALL the fuses, there seems to be ALOT of inline fuses, but all have been checked and ok.

We have checked the 5vdc power going into the CPU board at the top and there is no voltage getting to there.

There is power getting out of the PSU at the front, it goes the transformer and there is voltage coming out the plug which goes into the transformer from the PSU at the front.

Comment

if there is no power to the CPU - ie 5V that is why the game is dead (to be very simple)

can't write now but will post something later today
            Ric
            looking for:

Comment

Hi Ric
              Thanks for the reply and i agree..

I just need to find out i guess why there is no power getting there which is an issue. I suspect the large transformer in the middle may have a fault.

Has anyone changed these and if so is it an easy or very hard job and what is the availbilty of these?

Thanks
              Matt

Comment

Bypass the under cabinet switch first to rule it out, these do go bad. Once you've done that then it's the transformer and yes it's pretty straight forward.
                WANTED

Another Holiday

Comment

Hi Humpalot
                  We checked last night with a multimeter when the switch is switched the voltage comes on and off so we believe this is ok.

I guess the next step would be to actually find a replacement any ideas where and price?
                  Thanks
                  Matt

Comment

I assume you mean the large power transistor that sits on the heat sink that is mounted in the centre of the boards in the backbox?

This regulates the 5V to prevent ripple (i think) - there is a section in the Clay Harrel guide about this (link is the 2nd post in the thread).

From memory you can either look to replace this OR you can even bypass it

If I am wrong and it is the main transformer - which will be mounted in the cabinet - different story - however these rarely blow, particularly in the newer machines (which had extra surge protection etc in them - another cool story for another day)

maybe take a pic of the part you suspect?
                    Ric
                    looking for:

Comment

Hi Guys
                      I suspect it is the part which i have attached a photo which i downloaded from marvin3m.com as i am not at home. As you can see in the photo we have tested the small plug on the right and have power there. If you look at the left "looped" type plug, there is 7vdc out of there but the plug was actually missing. Is this important???

Also my machine doesnt have any of those fuses.

Thanks
                      Matt
                      Attached Files

Comment

Have you checked all the fuses with a multi meter, and not by sight?

If they are ok, use the guide from the Marvin site previously posted and go through all the steps.

Get a copy of the manual which includes the schematics so that you can follow the correct wiring.

Here it is again, go to the Gottlieb System 80 listing - http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm

Do all the grounding fixes as well.

The Power Supply board will output the 5vdc, which can be adjusted with the potentiometer on the board. If this board is receiving voltage to the input, then it may well require a rebuild. This is a good place to obtain parts - http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/default.asp.
                        You should be looking for 5vdc after the PS board to the CPU board.

Xygt

Comment

this is a system 3 game not a system 80

sorry for the confusion early on - when you said battery damage I assumed sys 1 or sys 80 where this is/was common

this plug may be important however I have never worked on sys 3 so cannot say

others here haveowned sys 3's and may be able to help
                          Ric
                          looking for:

Comment

And when you're checking fuses with a multi, make sure to pull them out first (at least pull out one end of the fuse).

Leaving them in could give you a false reading

Comment

Hi Guys
                              Thanks for all the quick replys. I have checked the fuses with a multimeter and all are ok.
                              Thanks

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X