Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottlieb is Dead

mrwolf

Question

Hi Guys

I have a Gottlieb Machine which had a badly corroded CPU board, the machine was dead. I purchased a new CPU board and put the old chip in the motherboard and the machine is dead. No Power.

We checked the Power and it comes in and goes to the PSU at the front and then power goes to the transformer but seems to have no power after that.

We have checked the switches at the front and they seem ok.

The machine was not working when i got it and was advised it is a faulty CPU board.

Could the ROM chip be faulty and be causing no power?

Any thoughts?

THanks

Matt

21 answers to this question

Hi there

can you give us some information

1) - which machine is it - i assume either a system 1 games (77-80) or a system 80 (80 - 85) as these had indemic problems with battery corrosion -

2) have you checked the fuses?

3) have you checked the power coming into the power supply board and then going out (unplug driver board and displays when doing this) - be careful as there is high AC power going into the PSU

4) have I already completely confused you?

PM me or post if you need further help - Gottliebs are painful but rewarding - actually that applies to all pinballs

Ric

Power to the front? Do you mean power to the on/off switch under the cabinet? The power should stepdown from 240V to 110 at the transformer, this then goes to the power supply board located in the headbox. Is power making to there?

OK Sorry i should have included more information.

THe unit is a Wipeout Unit. A System 80

I have checked ALL the fuses, there seems to be ALOT of inline fuses, but all have been checked and ok.

We have checked the 5vdc power going into the CPU board at the top and there is no voltage getting to there.

There is power getting out of the PSU at the front, it goes the transformer and there is voltage coming out the plug which goes into the transformer from the PSU at the front.

Hi Ric

Thanks for the reply and i agree..

I just need to find out i guess why there is no power getting there which is an issue. I suspect the large transformer in the middle may have a fault.

Has anyone changed these and if so is it an easy or very hard job and what is the availbilty of these?

Thanks

Matt

Hi Humpalot

We checked last night with a multimeter when the switch is switched the voltage comes on and off so we believe this is ok.

I guess the next step would be to actually find a replacement any ideas where and price?

Thanks

Matt

I assume you mean the large power transistor that sits on the heat sink that is mounted in the centre of the boards in the backbox?

This regulates the 5V to prevent ripple (i think) - there is a section in the Clay Harrel guide about this (link is the 2nd post in the thread).

From memory you can either look to replace this OR you can even bypass it

If I am wrong and it is the main transformer - which will be mounted in the cabinet - different story - however these rarely blow, particularly in the newer machines (which had extra surge protection etc in them - another cool story for another day)

maybe take a pic of the part you suspect?

Hi Guys

I suspect it is the part which i have attached a photo which i downloaded from marvin3m.com as i am not at home. As you can see in the photo we have tested the small plug on the right and have power there. If you look at the left "looped" type plug, there is 7vdc out of there but the plug was actually missing. Is this important???

Also my machine doesnt have any of those fuses.

Thanks

Matt

untitled.jpg.cfcfc50bca07b63638a33be46615e76b.jpg

Have you checked all the fuses with a multi meter, and not by sight?

If they are ok, use the guide from the Marvin site previously posted and go through all the steps.

Get a copy of the manual which includes the schematics so that you can follow the correct wiring.

Here it is again, go to the Gottlieb System 80 listing - http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm

Do all the grounding fixes as well.

The Power Supply board will output the 5vdc, which can be adjusted with the potentiometer on the board. If this board is receiving voltage to the input, then it may well require a rebuild. This is a good place to obtain parts - http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/default.asp.

You should be looking for 5vdc after the PS board to the CPU board.

Xygt

this is a system 3 game not a system 80

sorry for the confusion early on - when you said battery damage I assumed sys 1 or sys 80 where this is/was common

this plug may be important however I have never worked on sys 3 so cannot say

others here haveowned sys 3's and may be able to help

Hi Guys

I have checked the fuses again and all are ok. I have posted some pics of the unit as the main transformer in the cabinet seems to have ALOT of modifications done. Can someone who has had experiance with these have a look and give me any feedback. I spoke to the guy i got it from and he said before it left for me the unit powered up, lights came on but nothing else due to faulty CPU board, which i have now replaced. I am now at a loss as to where to go from here. Any thoughts?

P8240040.JPG.3643d289c14493acd3ba9c76a7a87629.JPG

P8240041.JPG.f8970dea492641398036de4d613cee9d.JPG

P8240044.JPG.bd482b6bd2f06695fc48cc11492d4e29.JPG

P8240045.JPG.754c9c1f33a2c8299bd21e702064ff66.JPG

it looks to me - and this is on my limited experience and only based on what i have read - that someone has attempted to do certain ground mods to the transformer and maybe even replaced the large filter cap.

However i really cannot tell the effect of this

additionally, the fourth picture - furtherst to the right appear to have wire that have been cut and then re-joined which always concerns me

can anyone else chime in?

sorry this is so vague

Hi Ric

I have spoken to a tech were i got the machine from and from another guy and reading the info on the links above supplied it seems they have an issue with the Fuse Holders on these. I have bought some from jaycar today and will try that tonite.. Will advise how i go

Thanks for the reply and yeah i am concerned re all the mods that seem to have been done on this.

Cheers

Yeah the 2 vertical fuse holders on the power box are common failures, so just replace them. Until I saw your posted pictures, I too was thinking of a different system. Also jaycar sell stepdown transformers just in case (although highly unlikely that you will need one).

Hi Guys

OK GOOD NEWS!!

I went and say the guy at Mr Pinball today and got some replacement parts and also had a good chat with him and we have put some jumpers on the main transformer and replaced the fuse holders and bingo the machine has sort of come to life.

We are getting a number of different LED flashes on boards in the backglass and after swapping CPU boards over the machine made some clunking noises, the ball came out and the lights flashed.

We have swapped a number of other boards which i got and the only common thing between them all is the EPROM chip, when swapping the old CPU board and the new CPU board i get the same error.

Does anyone know where i can get an EPROM programmer from on a Saturday in Melbourne

Thanks

Matt

Good News

After replacing the fuse holders still didnt get very far.

Tried programming a new chip and still had issues.

I replaced the main MPU board on the pinball today and bingo it fired up and all is working well. I have ordered a new rubber kit for it and will install that and i should be all up and running.

Thanks everyone for there help in getting my first pinny running :)

Cheers

Matt