Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

WWF RR Data East Coil Issues

Holty

Question

Hi all,

I've been restoring my WWF RR back from the dead for the past few months and its now very close to being playable but I'm having the following coil issues that i cant seem to find the cause.

Hopefully someone here can help me track down the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Coils not working via diagnostics menu:

- Lock Out

- Ball Release

- Left Slingshot

When i start the game, no ball is released into Trough 7 and no ball is ejected into the shooter lane. Even if i manually release the lock ball, the ball release still doesn't shoot the ball out.

What i have done so far:

- Confirmed all switches work in trough (left sling doesn't - but i don't believe it has any relevance to the trough issue)

- Tested the coils via continuity to the CPU board - all ok

- Can activate all coils when shorting out on the CPU board via alligator clip to ground strap

- Reflowed all connectors to the CPU board

- Replaced multiple 2n9304 transistors and TIP122's on switch lines - can see via pics and all readings looks fine except for a slightly low reading on Q38 - seemed to be half of the others. When I took it out it had the correct reading (so not sure why its dropping significantly when soldered into the board).

Thanks all :)

5e25c5ecdbf98e93770f2bf69536c967.thumb.jpg.f89a174876cb50001ff12bc8200204dd.jpg

7f2bdb35630bf6eae6ad5fd2faf04d21.thumb.jpg.9883d3f6c5689c978446f57462eb688a.jpg

51b38ad1825ce09841404d74a4a803e3.thumb.jpg.2bb50a3500f86e14f49c7cc8f89539af.jpg

8 answers to this question

Probably dry solder joints on the PPB board

Have you done the fuse holders on the boards?

This is a weak point on DE games and causes crazy stuff to happen

Hey mate, thanks for the message.

I will go over the PPB tonight and see how we go.

On a side note, I did put the PPB into another DE machine a month ago and it worked as expected so i believe it shouldn't be the issue but will verify :)

Thanks Boots!

Hey all,

@GIBO - it was the 7408 that was the problem, checked and fixed, now the trough area works perfectly - thank you!

I have now found another issue.. all pop bumpers and slings don’t work (except for the RHS sling) I’ve gone though the same exercise and traced through the tip 122 through to the 7402 chips, and all seems to be ok from a reading perspective. I can also activate the coils by shorting the tip 122.

any ideas? I have noticed two pins are soldered together on one of the 7402 chips and also noticed the person before me has jumped a few pins at the connectors.. is there something else that could take out a whole row of coils? Fuses all seem to be ok.

any help is appreciated :-)

thank you!

a53bafa92b4edd49d3f6871f6b9a6de2.thumb.jpg.e2ba585fcbe5ffaafd6e803a625bc134.jpg

513087c938030d77b862a51ed09302e7.thumb.jpg.d09ec1ab47a92857b089faaf35894fe5.jpg

• Administrators

Those are just the ground tied together for the TIP102, obviously the through holes have been damaged previously probably due to the tyranny(s) burning out.

Not uncommon to see on DE boards.

The two pins soldered together on the IC is also normal from looking at one of my boards now.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Usually around this time with this type of problem I get out the logic probe and follow the schematic.

I would be checking the 7407 and the PIA,as AK said they have just joined the grounds on the TIPs.

I have been caught before with 7402s even though they test good,under load not so much,this where a good desoldering tool comes in handy.

Just had another thought ,hey its early here in Perth,try with the special switch connector off the board short each of the switch pins to the ground pin and see if the appropriate coil fires,if it does this will tell you if there is a break in the switching side on the playfield

• Like 1

Usually around this time with this type of problem I get out the logic probe and follow the schematic.

I would be checking the 7407 and the PIA,as AK said they have just joined the grounds on the TIPs.

I have been caught before with 7402s even though they test good,under load not so much,this where a good desoldering tool comes in handy.

Just had another thought ,hey its early here in Perth,try with the special switch connector off the board short each of the switch pins to the ground pin and see if the appropriate coil fires,if it does this will tell you if there is a break in the switching side on the playfield

Thanks Gibo and AK. I don’t own a logic probe so I’ve now given my board to Boots and I’ll report back on the issue. Thanks a lot for the quick response and help!

Cheers,

Nick