• Show
Clear All

• EM troubleshooting assistance Flying Carpet

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200912_1809411.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	2162949 Hi All,

I have a flying carpet that was working at someone elses place, got it home and its not kicking a ball out after the start relay is engaged. Nor is it 'starting'a game - in that if i manually hit the start relay, it will reset coils to 0, reset the bank, decrement credit wheel but not activate the O relay, nor kickout the ball, nor activate the flippers or any scoring.

Now i'm an amatuer when it comes to EM repairs and schematics, but giving it a crack.

The pic is the portion i think is relevant

So the wire on the farm right of the diagram that is common to most bits is the red/white - i have a alligator clip on that wire and am connecting it at various points across the schematic in relation to the O relay. What i have found:

If i connect the red/white to the Blue of the O relay it works and kicks the ball out

Also, i jumpered the NO switch on the O relay which was blue and Yel/Blue, from there, if i connect red/white to Green/black on motor sw 2B, it activates O and kicks ball out

However, if i then go to the DB relay (reset sequence completed), the green/black wire is meant to be one side of a NC switch, and the other side of this switch is red/green. If i connect my main red/white to the red/green (right side of NC DB relay switch), nothing happens. However, if i jumper the green/black and red/green switches on the DB relay, it will activate the O relay when i connect red/white to red/green.

So....by my reasoning, the issue is the DB relay switches, before i pull it out and have a good look, i just would like confirmation that my logic is correct? Or is there anything else i should test/look at?

Well it turns out my logic was corrrect! Cleaned contacts on DB relay switch stack and it is all good.

Next problem now is the 1000s reel is not resetting. It increments up with scoring no problem, but doesn't even try to reset, the motor just keeps spinning and never activates the coil in the reel during reset

Comment

Check on the score reel itself there will most likely be the 0 position switch not activating so the game thinks it’s in zero when it tries to reset

Comment

Was another switch on the DB that needed cleaning. Then no playfield lights and followed the schematics and found a NC switch on the tilt relay stack that was snapped. Replaced that and it's running sweet!

Kids love the new machine Click image for larger version

Name:	20200914_175636.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	2163586 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200914_183127.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	2163587 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200914_175652.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	2163588

Comment

OK Rob, I've been trying for years to do what you have done - read the schematics and patiently and logically trouble shoot. Call into my place anytime and help me solve my Grand Slam problem. Well done and Flying Carpet is a classic.
          Wanted: Aquarius backglass, any Gottlieb EM bits and pieces - nothing is junk to me

Comment

Originally posted by bossninja17 View Post
            OK Rob, I've been trying for years to do what you have done - read the schematics and patiently and logically trouble shoot. Call into my place anytime and help me solve my Grand Slam problem. Well done and Flying Carpet is a classic.
            Thanks mate. I must admit it's all been black magic to me for years and years. However I got some guidance from an old tech but also was determined to understand it. I'm far from across it all but think I'm learning the basics. Was thinking I should do a video with the next issue in real time as it will help me understand better if I've got to explain it and maybe help someone else that's interested.

Comment

Nice work there Rob! You'll be an EM master soon. Having the schematics is essential on these games for fault finding. When you get used to reading the diagrams its pretty easy to fault find.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
              Working...
              X