Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

EM Chime unit rebuild

kimbleseven

Question

16 answers to this question

Yes, definately should be loose. Nuts should be nylock so they don't move once set and the chimes need to be tuned so they are the right note. On the set you have pictured you can use a metal fork or spoon to hit the end of the chine bar to hear the note and move along all 4 chimes making sure the notes are all equal steps and adjust the nylock nuts to tune so they all sound correct. If you tighten the nuts down to much, the note will change tune and sound flat. Equally, if you back them off to much they will ring for to long. Not as difficult as it sounds but when tuned correctly, the notes will all sound crisp.

Thanks guys. I will have a tinker with it. Appreciate your help.

Tuning isn't absolutely necessary after all most people shoved cardboard under the chime bars to quiten them but if you are not likely to do that and taking the time to overhaul the chime unit including replacing the rubbers etc, I would take the time to tune because they do sound so sweet when they are done exactly like they did when they come out of the box.

I've heard some EMs that sound like a marble in a tin being shaken.:o

• Like 1

My understanding is that the nyloc nut is tightened so it just sits on top of the grommet holding it in place.

The grommet sleeve for a chime is longer than a standard grommet so as to allow the chime to move.

Then when seeing a SS Bally chime unit there is a brass rivet that sits inside the I.D. of the grommet so when tightening the nyloc you only go as far as the head of the rivet thus preventing squashing the grommet and allowing the chime to move up when struck.

and having the grommet move will result in the inner diameter of it wearing away on the thread.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

Due to covid. I think they did send stuff but customers were complaining at wait times. They usually don't get paid until the stuff arrives. I had a work around with shipito but they were a rip off with fees and charges. So for the time being they were not shipping internationally. :(

Could be but it could be mechanical. Make sure the plungers are polished, sleeves aren't damaged or the plunger tips aren't shorter than the others. The plunger tips do wear down and can break. Make sure the tips are all the same size or swap the plungers around to see if it effects the operation.

Also make sure when you are testing the chime bar is mounted flat.

If none of the above helps then I would start closing up the contact slightly so it extends the pulse. Dirty contacts, I doubt it. They are working and should be self cleaning if set correctly.

• Like 1

Still working on the chimes tonight. So all is working fine but on 500 and 5000 points the chimes are sometimes only dinging 3 or 4 times. Coil is still firing but not reaching the chime bar. Could it be dirty contacts on score motor?

I was going to mention, clean and re tension the 10,100,1000 points relays. That’s the final tuning you need to make them pop.