Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

US delivered machine info needed.

Boof Head

Question

Gday all.

Theres a US delivered MMr machine that I’ve noticed for sale for a long time.

Just wondering if it can be used here in oz or is it just a piece of art to look at. I know you can get the step downs for voltages but do they change the hertz too?

cheers.

Boof

• Like 1

13 answers to this question

• Super Moderator
Ha Gibo remember the guy with the buzzing transformer?? its a 60hz it will run hot and cook, so the main transformer needs to be changed to a 50hz

There you go ,wondered what the outcome from that one was,never heard back from him.

I found an original one so I guess this guy can keep telling people it will work on a step down even though he could do that to show people......Oh wait he can’t.

Thsts like the old it’s an easy fix claim in a sellers spiel. If it was that easy you would have already done it my friend.

Unfortunately one day someone will believe his baloney and buy it.

• Like 1

So do modern Sterns have 2 different rated transformers (230V 50Hz and 120V 60Hz) depending upon the country of destination?

How was the different Hz rating handled in the past, with say B/W machines? They had two primary windings depending on whether you ran 220-240V or 110-120V, but were they simply rated at 50Hz and therefore could handle 60Hz as the magnetic flux is reduced (unlike going the other way)??

So do modern Sterns have 2 different rated transformers (230V 50Hz and 120V 60Hz) depending upon the country of destination?

How was the different Hz rating handled in the past, with say B/W machines? They had two primary windings depending on whether you ran 220-240V or 110-120V, but were they simply rated at 50Hz and therefore could handle 60Hz as the magnetic flux is reduced (unlike going the other way)??

They were wound at around 55 Htz so they could handle both ratings like all twin Htz transformers. Not the best of either world but exceptable. Why not have the transormer redone locally?. Not a hard process and that way you will end up with a pure 50Htz tranny.

I do doubt that is the only thing stopping that US import machine from running though. My understanding was there was also software to stop illegal imports. It was a major problem where large operators would buy up big pushing for a large discount per unit and only operating half the amount and onselling the rest at a slightly higher price. This took sales away from the "dedicated" supplier of that area and those "exclusive" sellers would stop selling the factory supplied machines because others were selling NIB machines cheaper.

At one stage the factories, ( Williams/Bally), were looking at locking to state locations and as far as I know the data is stored on that machine so the exact buyer can be traced to prevent machines being sold across borders in the US.

If any buyer was found to be onselling NIB machines they ordered with a large discount and onselling elsewhere, the factory could identify this and possibly stop future sales to that onseller.

The machines can not be geo locked without a net connection so maybe the software is relient on the Htz the machine is powered by and could be disabled if the Htz of the machine's intended country isn't correct.

There is such a thing as a frequency inverter which is used to adjust the Htz of the line cord supply. The boys in the bowling centers were using these to run the 60Htz motors in the pinsetter machines when they were forced to use old US made motors.

• Like 1