Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

weak flipper

Shock_And_Awe

Question

Hi guys,

just having a few games on the Twilight Zone and over the space of a couple of games I noticed the left flipper became weak. I then noticed the upper left wasn't activating properly every time either. Lifted the playfield and had a fiddle with the flipper button opto switch couldn't find anything, lowered playfield and now the top left works fine but bottom left is still weak.

What could cause a flipper to become weak over a period of just a few games? Any ideas on what I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Mark

18 answers to this question

Sorry bud, but Im pretty new to pinnie ownership. Can i have more info on how you fixed your flippers? Ive got a Getaway with the same problem. This may sound dumb, but what are 'opto's?

Sorry bud, but Im pretty new to pinnie ownership. Can i have more info on how you fixed your flippers? Ive got a Getaway with the same problem. This may sound dumb, but what are 'opto's?

optos are optic sensors used to activate the flippers instead of the old leaf switches. They are on the inside of the cab where the flipper buttons are. If dirt or dust is on the lense then may not detect properly that the switch has been activated. You can easily clean these with q-tips and windex. Keep in mind my problem wasn't a general weak flipper but one that went weak in the matter of a few games.

Who'd have ever guessed I would be able to give advice on a pinball repair:lol be careful though I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Cheers guys, My Getaway seems to have leaf style switches. But Im having the same problem. Flipper is ok for a game or two, then starts to get weak before it starts to stick on.

getaway will have leaf flippers as it is pre-fliptronics (the optical based flipper system) but that is by the by

one question, two answers:

when you switch the game off:

a) does the flipper stay up/stuck OR

b) does it return to the down position?

If a), it is a mechanical problems, the parts may be rusted, have been previously lubricated (BAD) and crap has built up which will effect the flippers (happened on my tomcat)

if b) could be electronic

either way read the guide and posthere and we can help more

Ric

Thanks Ric,

Looks like it may be mechanical, I just had a good 5 games before it started to get weak and stick. But it will release the sticky left flipper if there is any movement eg- use right flipper, tap side of cab or lauch ball etc. The thing that I cant understand is, if it is mechanical why does it take a few games to surface? Is it a pinball thing!

I guess the best thing to do is order a rebuild kit and go from there.

Parts are on the way! Hopefuly the dvd's get here soon so i'll have some idea of what im doing!! Is there many pitfalls to look out for when rebuilding flippers?

If its your first rebuild do one side at a time and use the other for a guide, are you replacing the coils and EOS switches aswell ? If so remember the order the wires go or better yet take a photo. Have fun :D

Rebuilt the flips today, all I can say is 'Holy shit'!! The power is unreal!! No more probs with the flipper going limp aswel.

Anyone out there new to pinnies like me, do yourself a favour and invest in some 'This old pinball' dvd's. Just trust me!

Rebuilt the flips today, all I can say is 'Holy shit'!! The power is unreal!! No more probs with the flipper going limp aswel.

Anyone out there new to pinnies like me, do yourself a favour and invest in some 'This old pinball' dvd's. Just trust me!

Nice one busboy. I hope to be a pinball owner real soon. ;)

I hope to be a pinball owner real soon

so for all these years youve had this "Pinny Parlour" user name, but no pinballs :tomato

thats bloody funny ian youve got to admit :lol