Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What paint??

Shock_And_Awe

Question

I'm looking for a black paint to do the inside sides of the cabinet and also the inside sections of the head box around the translite. Can anyone recommend a paint? I have used matt black and gloss black and neither are right. I have tried to get some satin black but it appears they don't make it??

Has anyone done this before and can tell me what kind of paint they used?

Thanks,

Mark.

14 answers to this question

If your going to use spray paint I cant recommend belton highly enough especially there molotow range, its probably the best paint in a can money can buy (in my opinion).

Only problem is it can be hard to find, try looking to street type shops - its popular with street artists.

I use deep-black-OTR for most of my work.

Rob

Guest Wotto

What about going to a sign maker / sign writer and getting some vinyl that they make new sign images out of these days, get it in a matt black and cut it to size and stick it on?

They make it VERY VERY thin and it will look like a pinted/ flat matt surface once it is down. That gets you around your issue of not being able to spray it. :unsure

but I don't want to take this thing apart to paint so rules out spraying it. Are there other options?

just mask it up and then paint it. only takes about 10-20 minutes to mask up. good old masking tape and newspaper does the trick.

just mask it up and then paint it. only takes about 10-20 minutes to mask up. good old masking tape and newspaper does the trick.

Yep I agree, mask it up... Make sure you use a couple of sheets od news paper, tends to blled through just one.

Or a really really thick Nikko :D

thanks guys, bought the paint today and will give it a go.

Just another quick question.....would there be any problem using enamel based paints for touching up a playfield? I have used some enamel model paints and just read some instructions on touching up playfields and it said to use acrylic paints. It did not say that enamel would be bad but I just thought worth checking out. Thanks.

The problem with using enamel on a playfield is if you have a bad colour-match you can't just wipe it off and start again. Colours often change once dry and then removal becomes difficult. I only used acrylic paints on playfields that I have touched up. Again, mainly because of colour matching which is bloody difficult. At least with acrylics a damp rag will wipe it right off. If you add some paint softener to acrylics it will dry smoot like enamel anyway. If you are only touching up black etc then the colour-match doesn't really matter a great deal and you could use whatever you want. Hope it goes well.

just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions! I was hesitant to mask up the head box and around playfield but just did it and sprayed with satin black spraypaint and it has come up awesome.

Hey Savage, I like the idea of iron on wood trim but I need ~180mm and they don't make that width. Did you find some or just carefully cut some down to size?

just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions! I was hesitant to mask up the head box and around playfield but just did it and sprayed with satin black spraypaint and it has come up awesome.

Hey Savage, I like the idea of iron on wood trim but I need ~180mm and they don't make that width. Did you find some or just carefully cut some down to size?

The size I got was a tad wider than I needed, so after painting it black (took about 5 coats and let it dry for the day)

Ironed on (used paper in between the iron and wood trim), then got a razor blade (the type the real old razors would take) available from super cheap or a paint shop, craft store etc. Ran the razor blade down the side of the back box, it's amazing on how good it looks!

The size I got was a tad wider than I needed, so after painting it black (took about 5 coats and let it dry for the day)

Ironed on (used paper in between the iron and wood trim), then got a razor blade (the type the real old razors would take) available from super cheap or a paint shop, craft store etc. Ran the razor blade down the side of the back box, it's amazing on how good it looks!

thanks for that. I'll get onto it and let you know how I go.