Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Cost to Have a Pinball shop Redecal a Cab?

punkin

Question

Hi all, was looking at a widebody pinball i'm interested in. The machine is at a resellers business and it comes with new decals. When i asked if they could put the decals on for me they said it would cost $2,000 to apply them.

Does this seem at all reasonable just to fit the decals that come with the machine??

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Unless they are sanding, filling, prepping and using automotive quality paints and top quality decals, with a high degree of workmanship and care, finished to a Hot Rodded Pins level...then expensive but reasonable.

As this is most likely not going to be the case, then no. You may not want nor care for this level of finish and as such, you can attempt to put them on yourself and buy a nice EM as a reward with the savings.

At $80 an hour one would think they are not working for a boss especially in this context. You don't need to be a tradesman to decal a machine lets be honest.

Although it's a lot of work and hours to decal a machine properly especially if your removing old decals first.

Edited by hotty

At $80 an hour one would think they are not working for a boss especially in this context. You don't need to be a tradesman to decal a machine lets be honest.

Although it's a lot of work and hours to decal a machine properly especially if your removing old decals first.

True but it certainly doesn’t hurt to have a trade background

The expectation that 40 an hour is right is partly why you see the variation. 40 as a business gets a guy who’s seen some YouTube videos and works from home. Decent tradesmen with actual skill in a real business cost double that easy
Sorry, this is rubbish. I mean seriously....

Punkin honestly have a go, if you really don't have time I'm sure some one near you would do it really well for half what you have been quoted. They are taking the piss at 2k, decals already supplied. They obviously dont want to do it.

It seems Victoria has its own perceived pinball economy..

Sorry, this is rubbish. I mean seriously....

Ahh right. Cool. Rent is about 20 an hour. Wages. Holidays and super for a reasonably skilled unqualified monkey works out about 40. A business quoting services at cost wouldn’t be very clever would it. But yeah ok it’s rubbish. Cool.

If saying commercial rates are rubbish because you can “have a crack” at it in your shed cheaper works for you then good luck to you. It’s true you can do it cheaper. But it’s not rubbish. It’s what it costs commercially

Anyway punkin sorry for diverting your topic.

Doug and I are at opposite ends of this hobby in viewpoint in pretty much everything.

Don't pay the 2k, get another company or person to do it that you know how there work is or can get good references or have a go at it if time permits.

Good luck with it.

600 - 1200 is what I have seen depending on extra internal work or bare cab.

Have a crack yourself punkin, heaps of info on here to help.

Expensive paint job with a sticker going over it.:blink:

I've seen $1000 decal jobs, they're shit

Yes maybe it is expensive and a quick paint with stickers slapped on is exactly what you get for $1000

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all, was looking at a widebody pinball i'm interested in. The machine is at a resellers business and it comes with new decals. When i asked if they could put the decals on for me they said it would cost $2,000 to apply them.

Does this seem at all reasonable just to fit the decals that come with the machine??

$1500 should get you a job like Hurricane :)

I've seen $1000 decal jobs, they're shit

Yes maybe it is expensive and a quick paint with stickers slapped on is exactly what you get for $1000

- - - Updated - - -

$1500 should get you a job like Hurricane :)

Ive seen 2000 shit jobs too!

When I write my estimates, I write them as a backyarder, I have no interest in trying to take into account a business, because this is a hobby for me, and at heart this is a hobby forum!

No doubt the retail guys need to charge more, and get a more consistent result. not sure who would not accept that...

The patience it takes to get the prep perfect is beyond me!!

I'm thinking many think the customer needs to pay for the paint drying time as well.

Seriously, 40 + hours. It's not a car, they are all flat, wooden surfaces you should be using the right tools to do the work with and you should only be paying for the time spent on the machine. 5 days sure but not 8 hours per day for 5 days. That is paying for paint drying time.

who said it takes 40 hours? im thinking you misread ?

Maybe but that is around the mark on what is being implied here. Just out of curiously, from those that have done this job, how long did they actually take to do this job?.

The job being working on the machine, not admiring your work, not working out how to do it best with what you have, not getting materials from Bunnings, actually working on the machine hands on.

Now a bigger question, just how much do you think an amusement machine technician actually gets paid an hour?

Just for interest I have been logging the hours spent to re decal a Judge Dredd.

This was a cab only that already had the decals removed and mostly filled and sanded.

I only had to remove the leg brackets and earth braid then do the inside paint only and prep it for new decals.

I am up to 18 hours mainly this is due to filling and sanding , corners and small dings take the most time, and trying to hide the massive amount of grain that shows through even with a filler putty primer coat.

The rear of this cab looks like it is corrugated and to try to do a good job takes time.

I reckon to do a full strip and first level repair I would be up to 30 hours.

Bear in mind I haven't fitted the decals yet.

I am also a hobbyist but trying to do a good job. If I was in a business then I would think $2k would be around the right ball park figure.

To do a good job on decals on a 30-40 year old cab is an awful amount of work that many people don't realise.

If you are doing it for someone else then it's even more pressure.

Maybe but that is around the mark on what is being implied here. Just out of curiously, from those that have done this job, how long did they actually take to do this job?.

The job being working on the machine, not admiring your work, not working out how to do it best with what you have, not getting materials from Bunnings, actually working on the machine hands on.

Now a bigger question, just how much do you think an amusement machine technician actually gets paid an hour?

Why wouldn't the time spent getting materials be counted?

The painting or paint drying is really a small part of the job, and like anything all the time is spent on the preparation.

Removing any crappy Bunnings style reinforcing brackets, properly repairing the cabinet structurally, repairing chips and damage properly not just slapping bog on, sanding the inside of the base clean.

All this stuff and more are what make a quality cabinet restore,that is easily worth $1500, even more for a business with overheads.