Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost to Have a Pinball shop Redecal a Cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To do it properly takes experience, products and equipment. Most people don't have proper spray guns, compressor, and the proper filler materials I use just lying around. I see lots of people just using "bog", fine for slight blemishes but on a corner or a major repair with it is just asking for trouble. I certainly don't charge $2000 for a cab with decals but I don't have the overheads of some. Anyone can slap decals on and it looks good for a while from a distance but to make it last and be super flat and a professional look takes more. Just my 2 cents and I've done work for a few people on here who I'm sure will vouch for what I'm saying.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by LEX View Post
      Did my Indiana Jones cabinet a few years ago and it took me about 40 hours - but I did it properly and it was my first time so was learning on the run. As everyone says the actual preparation is 90% of the time spent.
      This is a great thread for those interested in doing it right (he covers a whole restoration but a lot of info on doing the cabinet/decals):
      https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/to...tu=bryan_kelly

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade
      Just read that entire Bryan Kelly thread he posted a few years back on the IJ - really good informative read with comedy also.

Comment

I'm still doing my Fishies and it's been a tough son bitch !

Just removing the old cab decals was a mongrel. The cabinet is sound but still tons of prep on this one as well.
        At least 30hrs so far. Glad I have learnt so many good tips from fellow forum members.

Yes it is very time consuming, but the satisfaction from doing it yourself is great
        If you are gonna do it don't forget safety first. Get a good mask. The dust and paint fumes are toxic as hell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FT Cab.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1852809
        Pinball, Its an Addiction

Comment

As you saw in the video factory fitted decals were applied straight onto bare plywood. So if you think after removing the old decal you really need to sand, prime and paint to get a factory finish then that involves many hours of work, but by going by some figures it takes guys weeks. I think if you just bogged and sanded then sprayed all edges in black then applied your decal you wouldn't be any wiser, and this has been proven to be the case by Bally/Williams themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by hotty View Post
            As you saw in the video factory fitted decals were applied straight onto bare plywood. So if you think after removing the old decal you really need to sand, prime and paint to get a factory finish then that involves many hours of work, but by going by some figures it takes guys weeks. I think if you just bogged and sanded then sprayed all edges in black then applied your decal you wouldn't be any wiser, and this has been proven to be the case by Bally/Williams themselves.
            Yes true,
            It just sucks being an OCD perfectionist

Comment

Originally posted by Ando77 View Post
              Yes true,
              It's OK to be a perfectionist, just avoid the OCD part, it will destroy you.

Comment

Originally posted by hotty View Post
                It's OK to be a perfectionist, just avoid the OCD part, it will destroy you.
                Good advice, Thanks

Comment

Good advice, Thanks
                  OCD n pinball go hand in hand
                  Yes true,

Comment

Know the feeling mate.

Comment

I'm still doing my Fishies and it's been a tough son bitch !

Just removing the old cab decals was a mongrel. The cabinet is sound but still tons of prep on this one as well.
                      At least 30hrs so far. Glad I have learnt so many good tips from fellow forum members.

Yes it is very time consuming, but the satisfaction from doing it yourself is great
                      If you are gonna do it don't forget safety first. Get a good mask. The dust and paint fumes are toxic as hell.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachm...hmentid=153824
                      That fishies.. The one that got away!

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Aussie Arcade mobile app
                      The HillDweller

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                      Working...
                      X