Indiana Jones path of adventure problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Jones path of adventure problem

Hi all. The PoA has been playing up on my IJ for a while so thought I'd better get it sorted.

So I got underneath the playfield to check the poa motor driver board (I have the homepin and couldn't see anything wrong there. led still showing power at least).

Then I got to the opto board which limits the left and right movement and when I use the switch edge test and block off the transmitter/receiver leds I don't get any action on the switch edges.. if i block off the upper and lower holes on the poa the switches fire in the matrix but those optos don't appear to do anything. is that normal behaviour? Didn't seem like it to me.

Wonder where to go next.. dead opto board/optos?

Cheers,

Chris

Check for a wire off the motor first, That happened to me a few years back.
    Also check the grub screws are tight so the motor shaft isn't slipping.

Comment

Motor appears to be all good, it attempts to go left and right in the test. The grub screw was a bit loose last night which I tightened but yeah something is strange. I've adjusted the screw again and it just seems to try and push past the limit, and the opto switches still don't seem to trigger in the switch tests. Are the optos only powered up while the mp is active or are they supposed to be always powered?

Comment

Comment

Yep that seems to be the case. You can only test the optos when in test mode for the mpf. The annoying thing is that I go into that test, manually adjust the position the of the mpf to be perfect so both left and right optos fire and the mpf doesn't smash into either ramps.. but as soon as it activates in proper test mode with the motor it goes right and immediately smashes into the ramp on the RHS and then knocks the alignment out by loosening the grub screw.

I don't know what else I could be doing wrong. Maybe the grub screw just isn't catching any more and as soon as the motor runs it comes lose and stuffs up the alignment.

Comment

I also think this is this case

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure. I did have a strangely hacked up motor controller board when I got the machine and while the machine worked I found the poa to be a little temperamental. So I ended up ripping that out and installing the Homepin poa replacement board.

I just don't know if that would be dead already after a couple of years of minimal use really.. but yeah I suppose that could be the problem. I remember asking Homepin a while back when I was having problems again and the consensus was that if the red led was lit and had power and the motor was working then it wasn't the board. I don't really want to buy another replacement board as it will be the same board.. dunno if it will solve the problem.

Maybe I can borrow the orig board from a mate and swap out the Homepin and see if it fixes it.

Comment

Yeah try that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In my mind those optos are there to send a signal to the motor board to stop turning in that direction. So if the opto is working either the signal isn't getting through or the motor board is faulty? If the grub screw is loose on the mpf I don't think that would have anything to do with the arm pushing further past the opto than it should.

Comment

No unless the interuptor is already past the opto when it tried to test it on start up

Comment

On start up it pushes right and stops. Given the optos do seem to working either the motor board is screwed already or the signal isn't getting back down to the motor board from the CPU or Driver.. I haven't traced the wires back to their corresponding connector.. I'll try and do some continuity tests.

Comment

Reseat the cables and connectors on the small board on the top right corner of the backbox

Comment

I'd try cleaning the optos with a cotton bud. While they may be working, they need to work well. Have you seen the motor go in both directions and not just one direction?. Had to change a couple of those motors in the past when the brushes worn down and one symptom is motor only going in one direction. It seems when they wear, the brushes contact harder in one direction than the other. You can pull the motor apart and turn the brushes around to get a bit more life out of them.

Comment

I'll try cleaning the optos and reseating cables thanks. It could be the motor I suppose. It really only seems to want to go right at this stage but I still don't think it should push past its limit when it does turn right.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X