Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottlieb "Cleopatra" Restore

Hey Guy's, Well I got Cleo home & yes I drilled the lock out, dismantled it & breaking nothing. Now to business! There is good & bad news-

The Good news- no problems with the power supply, displays, driver board, transformers, retifiers.

The bad news- The control board is beyond the cost & time to rebuild due to major corrosion on both sides, the translite has a lot of paint cracking, the front coin door ply panel needs replacing.

Today-

i've checked the power supply & transformers...All Good, correct voltages everywhere.

I've ordered a new Flipp P1-1 control board (MPU).

I've replaced all the corroded & worn pins in the PCB harness & plugs.

I've removed the coin door panel & metal hardware to start making a new Ply front panel.

Next to do-

Finish the wood work & prime for base coat.

Rebuild power supply ( Replace Caps ).

Start cleaning the playfield & replacing all rubbers.

Fit new legs & feet.

Source a few minor bits.

Any recommendations on repairing or replacing the translite, I'm all ears.

Some more pixs soon!

thats what they cost. 250-350. you get the odd 150-250 bargain .. but its patience vs dollars.. they are out there. its not overly rare.

My Wife says she has a friend that does Art on glass with special paints, Might look into her friend. :lol

thats what they cost. 250-350. you get the odd 150-250 bargain .. but its patience vs dollars.. they are out there. its not overly rare.

Yep, I'd be after a better one if the game warranted it. Sure it's not overly rare, but the majority are flaky.

Good to hear it arrived in one piece :D put it together & have some fun, collect what you need then tear it down :o

Don't worry I plan to, however some repair work had to be done on the front panel first due to the bottom falling out.

Well today I completed the front panel, fitted new locks, re-rubbered the playfield & fitted the new chrome legs. Next to do will be cabinet scratch repair & painting of the front panel to match. It's going very well!

Not much to report today other than I got an email saying my Flipp PCB is in the mail, I painted & speckled the front panel, filled in the deep scrapes on the sides ready for touch up paint & refitted the coin door & Ball launcher properly. Cleo is looking younger everyday!

What paint did you end up using?

Oil base paint. I've now done a test repair on the side to see how it would go. I made a masking tape and paper stencil, worked great but some of the finer details will be troublesome.

Edited by Gemini2544

It's Friday and the front panel is finished. I was amazed that I found paint that matched the 38 years of fade & stain matching the side panel's background white.

I recreated the original design the best I could. The first photo was at purchase & last photo is off the internet to show what it was like. I'm happy with my result.

Edited by Gemini2544

Well it's Sunday & over the weekend I put my wife's art skills to work- see pixs.

She has very steady brush control, She should have been a sign writer (old school).

Once the Purple is dry & finished she'll be on to the Orange parts.

Not too much done over the last couple of days, However the replacement for my cracked plastic sent over from hamo54 is already on.

I'm very grateful for your generosity.:ty Geoff.

Edited by Gemini2544

Update, My wife finished the art work on the right hand side today, and I finished cleaning, waxing & replacing globes on the playfield. The first photo is how I found the machine. There really isn't much more to do now at lest till the Flippp PI-1 mpu board arrives. I need to play it now to see if there are any problems.

Cleopatra Lives

Well The Flippp PI-1 finally arrived, fitted & everything works 100%. Only had to change 3 bulbs. The bell chimes are bit different when your used to electronic sounds, a bit of nostalgia. Anyway Cleo is about as far as I'm prepared to go to with this restore, she looks great & is now fully operational.

I would like to thank Boots, Wiredoug, Hamo54 & my clever wife "Leanne" for their input & parts to see "Cleo" living again! THANK-YOU!

Edited by Gemini2544