Flash is going to get a makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash is going to get a makeover

I bought my Flash from Virgil Tracy a couple of years ago, it has been a great machine and apart from one or two minor issues a trouble free machine that gets played to death by any visitors (and myself).
    The cab is however a bit shabby, and has been gouged and dinged over the years so I am going to give it a tidy up and respray.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P9130053.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1867385 Click image for larger version

Name:	P9130054.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1867386

Name:	P9130055.JPG
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1867387 Click image for larger version

Name:	P9130056.JPG
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1867388

So how long does it take to gut a Flash, well.....2 hours later

Name:	2 hours later.JPG
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1867389

This is my task for the next few weeks, I am working shiftwork so will get plenty of daylight hours to work on it.

Will post as I go on.

This will be fun to watch. (meant in a nice way)
    Prowler Pinball Restorations

Comment

Top machine, cab doesn't look too bad considering its age.
      Its taken many years to give it the look it has which gives it character and appeal, it's original.
      A new paint job and it's all gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
        Top machine, cab doesn't look too bad considering its age.
        Its taken many years to give it the look it has which gives it character and appeal, it's original.
        A new paint job and it's all gone.
        The playfield is good, it has a repro backglass and no errors. I dont expect this to improve its value at all, just make it feel better (and me).
        It may have taken many years to get shabby but its also taken some moron with a stanley knife carving their initials and some bashing about.
        Lets see how it looks when finished
        (Also I bought a stencil set many moons ago and need to use it)

Comment

I thought a bit along the same lines as Rich after looking at the "as is" pictures.
          I have cabs with similar, relatively minor, battle scars and have wondered if touching up rather than a full paint would be a good idea?

Anyway be good to see the full job - thanks for posting Raysco.

Comment

I meant no harm by my comment but yr reply speaks CHARACTER!!!
            Yes it got taken to with a stanley knife but that gives it appeal, once you repaint it you remove its history, i am not against making your pin look tops.
            I have repainted many pins for people coz thats what they want, no prob, I am now looking at my own Old Chicago cab thinking how nice it would look all new, but it isn't new, it is oldish, and its cab speaks to me," I have history."
            Just coz a machine looks old duznt mean u cant iron out the wrinkles, tip top the playfield and have a nice backglass.
            It all comes down to what u enjoy doing yr machine, yr call

Comment

Yes it got taken to with a stanley knife but that gives it appeal, once you repaint it you remove its history, i am not against making your pin look tops.
              I have repainted many pins for people coz thats what they want, no prob, I am now looking at my own Old Chicago cab thinking how nice it would look all new, but it isn't new, it is oldish, and its cab speaks to me," I have history."
              Just coz a machine looks old duznt mean u cant iron out the wrinkles, tip top the playfield and have a nice backglass.
              It is interesting to discuss the reasons for doing this type of restore, and I absolutely agree with you about character and history. But also wouldn't it be nice to bring something that has had many years of bashing around back to its glory days. I can tell you that I very much appreciate these old girls. I dont know if the attached picture shows the yellowing of the main cab compared to the back box and the 40 attempts at touch ups over the years, I just want to dress her up nicely.....

Name:	P9150061.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1790928

I spent 4 hours today just cleaning and sanding the inside. And as per a Prowler tip making measurements of where all the artwork goes so it is replicated exactly. This will be no Prowler job, but it will give all due respect to the machine as she is supposed to be.

Comment

I have spent all this long weekend filling and sanding, and putting a couple of coats of black paint on. I took a few photos but the flash on the camera shows up every minor detail on a black base coat.
                There was a bit of swelling on the rear of the backbox but I have sanded it back and it looks ok. Also because it is a plywood body I would have to do a complete filler coat just to get rid of the grain, which is not really what I want to do.
                The photo doesn't really do it justice so far. The main body is actually looking very nice, and will be getting a bit more work over the next few days. The sides and top of the back box had some huge chunks out of the wood as well as the right front part of the cab. All these have now been filled and you cant see the join, so I am pretty pleased with that.

Name:	P9180068.JPG
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1790954

Comment

A lot more work done over the last week, I have put the stencils on the back box and sprayed the white,

Name:	P9220069.JPG
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1790996

(The black mark is for the lock), left that dry for a few days and now have removed the stencil from the backbox so this is the result of white only on the backbox.

Name:	P9220071.JPG
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1790997

I couldn't get the stencils off without ruining them but there is very little, if any bleed into the surrounding paint so I wont need to redo this anyway.

I wanted to check out how the back box came up before spraying the main body, so I will do that this week, stencil already on one side, but had to do a tiny touch up on the other so will stencil it tomorrow and post a pic later.

The small mark at the top of the white circle is where a retaining bolt will go.

Comment

Looking good...keep the updates coming. Anybody that has resprayed a cab knows what a massive undertaking it is.

Will be well worth it in the end
                    looking to buy gottlieb electro mechanical pinball machines from any era

Comment

I agree with this point. I think erasing the past can be problematic. I have resprayed three of my machines but on the forth I have decided to keep the graffiti. Who was Mary? Why did Ju up and leave without finishing? One friend suggested it might have read Julie 4 me, but up and left before he got busted. It's intriguing.

That said you have done a fine job on your Flash.Click image for larger version

Name:	edit.jpg
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	1791008

Comment

Originally posted by patric67 View Post
                        I agree with this point. I think erasing the past can be problematic. I have resprayed three of my machines but on the forth I have decided to keep the graffiti. Who was Mary? Why did Ju up and leave without finishing? One friend suggested it might have read Julie 4 me, but up and left before he got busted. It's intriguing.

That said you have done a fine job on your Flash.[ATTACH=CONFIG]39648[/ATTACH]
                        I can see the appeal to keeping those 'etchings' , now thats history. A gouge or scrapes from mishandling or uncaring and a wanker carving initials doesn't do it. I agree with you I would be looking at it and thinking who was 'Mary', who was 'JU'.....cool

Comment

I have expressions of love on Volley as well, it would be sad if I re-sprayed the cab and lost them. Your Flash is going to look awesome

Comment

I have let the cab dry for a few days and have just applied the stencils, (with help from the wife) so the cab is ready for its white coat.

Name:	P9230072.JPG
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1791022

Name:	P9230073.JPG
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1791023

I should get this finished over the next few days, I like to leave a full day between coats. I will probably put the red stencils on the back box by about Thursday having given it plenty of time to dry the previous coats.

Comment

coming along nicely, I would love to do something like this

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X