Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Hole Restore

Been meaning to upload these for awhile but been distracted

This game is the USA model with the spinning disc.

Pics are in my album in the Photo Gallery but I'll put them in here also.

Backglass

I'd rate the glass a 9 but there spots of green missing where the display has rubbed against the glass. Pretty common apparently.

Worst of the wear

At some point the back has broken away from the cab and someboay has used angle iron to reattach. Will remove it and fix it properly.

Lower Playfield.

Close up of Acid Damage from battery.

Battery decapped.

Battery removed

Connector J5 and J6 missing

Wires soldered directly to the PCB.

Things to get and do.

Repair boards
    Do mods
    Fix cab
    Repaint the black part of the headbox.
    touch up playfield
    replace all bulbs
    get playfield glass

Things I've bought so far.

6 new bumper caps.
    Rubbers.
    motor
    lockdown bar
    missing connectors.

Don't think I'll bother clear coating this one. Mylar is ok and pulling it off is a pain.
    So far I've neutralised the acid on the CPU board with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water then isopropyl alcohol. Just need to get the parts from David_AVD then I can start repairing and testing the PCB.

Nice AK. Should keep you busy for a while!
    sigh... one for the archives eh vbulletin?

Comment

Good to see it finally. The playfield won't need too much work either.

I will be laying down some new mylar on mine after all the touchy/feely.

Comment

Very Nice Travis

Should come up a Treat

Best wishes for the Restore

Acetone and toothbush should to the trick on the CPU PCB

I will be ordering some RIOT Chips soon if you need some ?

Regards,
        Ando
        Pinball, Its an Addiction

Comment

nice to see the pics!

That battery damage looks not too bad - at least no one else has tried to "fix" it yet, so you're ahead of the game there.

Shame about the soldered to fingers though I know can be fixed, but the original problem caused by laziness...

Cheers
          Jacob

Comment

Machine looks in pretty good shape overall.....should come up looking really nice.

You've got a bit of work to do with the cpu ,but on looks it doesn't seem too bad....although that's easy for me to say cause your the one who has to do it

Comment

Damm that back glass is in great nick!
              "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Comment

good one. fair bit of board work but you generally enjoy that. will watch with interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ando77 View Post
                  Very Nice Travis

Should come up a Treat

Best wishes for the Restore

Acetone and toothbush should to the trick on the CPU PCB

I will be ordering some RIOT Chips soon if you need some ?

Regards,
                  Ando
                  Thanks Ando I have a full spare I pulled off bootleg Qbert PCB's but if I need more I know the man to see

I've ordered the missing connectors from Great Plains Electronics and the other parts I need from David_AVD to do the board work.
                  My plan of attack is get it up and running first then tackle the cosmetic stuff.

Comment

Got my bits off David_AVD today so I decided to work on the power board.

Had a bit of a no power issue when I fixed up the board and tried to turn the machine on for the first time.
                    I ended up removing both playfields so I could check the 110v wiring. Turned out the main fuse holder was a bit dodgy.

Powerboard all modded up and working

Components replaced as per Clays instructions.

Zener diodes at CR7 and CR6
                    Resistors replaced at R3 and R10
                    New trim pot installed
                    Grounding mod done.
                    I've only connected J1 for testing purposes.

Connected up J3 (48 and 60 volts) and the chaser and backbox lights worked

one of the displays is locked on no CPU board is even connected.
                    You can see somebody has socketed the IC's. This board looks a tad different from the others with some extra components.

For a larf I connected the sound board which I've tested on my Q*bert arcade machine. With the jumpers set to demo mode it repeats "Dare you enter the Black Hole" and "Enter the Black Hole"

Next I'm going to check the transistors on the Driver board then tackle the dreaded CPU board.

Comment

Love that the BG , must have one of the best effect BG's of all time
                      Never played a BH, but sure looks a game I could sink my teeth into
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DKong View Post
                        Love that the BG , must have one of the best effect BG's of all time
                        Never played a BH, but sure looks a game I could sink my teeth into
                        I used to play it in the same arcade as Black Knight and Firepower, the 3 of them were lined up together. At the time I played BK the most as it gave the best value for money but I sank a few 20's into BH just to try and get the ball down to the lower playfield

Good work the repairs as always AK
                        "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Comment

nice pin AK, have it ready in 7 days time?

Comment

haha yeah right...Still waiting on connectors, a lockdown bar and the disc motor.
                            I found 2 bad trannies on the Driver board last night but no idea what they did. once looks like its been replaced before @ Q15. the other dead one was Q3. Probably means something is bad on the PF. The manual is no help.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                            Working...
                            X