Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Stern Nugent 1978

well not sure if i'm allowed posting in this unfamiliar section of the forum.

some background. recently put feelers out for a mate since 1970 (that's 50 years and showing my age) who bought a stern nugent back in 1980, who was looking to sell.. as i was collecting pins back then helped him buy it.

we grew apart and reconnected about 5 years ago, he still had the game but it hadn't been played and wasn't working then. he contacted me a few weeks back looking to unload the game.

as nugent was one of the games we played so much back in the day started to think maybe i should take this one. had been casually looking for a nugent project and kept thinking will regret this if someone else buys it with the history this game has.

so went back through the forum and read @Jesder old posts about his restores on nugent and was inspired then and I am now.

so i need the guys that are into ss pins for guidance for part location places etc.

as mentioned the game has been in my mates place for the past 40 years and plan to restore from the ground up.

as im semi retired it's great having a queue of games being restored at the same time.

plans for this are a brand new playfield (and yes you may say they aren't available) but they are 😉 new backglass from bglass resto and all new boards etc.

great base to start off and looking forward to this different journey.

so please be patient, this restore is an entirely new world for someone that has just tinkered with electo mechanical pins since 1978.

no expense spared, this will look and play like new once done.

some pix as it stands right now.

• Like 5

Hey Tony, I picked one up not so long ago nearly as good as yours, but not buying new playfields and back glasses, so if you haven’t had anyone else ask, I would be happy to buy your Backglass and be in on shipping for bits and pieces too. Wazza
  • Like 1

Many won't like this but I tell it as I see it and saw it working on SS pins when they were current. Any opportunity to swap out mechanical playfield Stern parts for Bally parts, I would. Many are directly interchangable but Bally are just made out of stronger metal. This is especially true with the flipper assemblies and bumper assemblies where the parts are completely interchangable.

None of these changes will make the Stern game feel any different, just more reliable and few would spot the difference below the playfield either.

Here is a quick list of problems on Stern flipper assemblies that I have noticed fail.

Coil backstops that snap on the bend. Plunger stops that fall out of the backstop.

Front coil mounts that snap on the bend.

Bolts that hold both in place onto the flipper base plate snap or threads strip out of the base plate or strip the thread off the bolt.

End of stoke switch mounts bend.

Flipper pawls pull the post the link goes on out of the pawl.

Bally flipper mechs were just made a whole heap better and the Stern flipper coils fit straight in them. The flipper stroke is also exactly the same.

I always got the impression Stern copied Bally in every way but just tried to do it all cheaper.

The Bally SS mechs aren't bulletproof, they did occasionally strip or snap the same coil mount bolts but you can easierly put in the next imperial size up and use allan head cap screws, ( hex bolts) and then they are pretty well bullet proof.

Any piece of metal that was press bent on the Stern like the backstops, standup target mounts etc will break. It was as if the metal they used fractured slightly when bent to 90 degree if you know what I mean and Stern SS never did get it right.

I would also check if any of your Gottlieb metal spares are compatiable. Gottlieb learnt real early in the piece how to bend metal and not fracture it.

Like I said, I say it as I saw it. No cheer boy for any make or model, just reliabilty. Good luck Tony. Enjoy your SS journey.

• Like 3

Railways reproduced the rails off my Meteor. They are 1290mm long.

Thanks Pete. Yes we have done a few sets for Meteor now but none for Ted yet. Since Ted precedes Meteor by about a year Tony and I would like to be sure of the lenght. The 3 measurements for Stern solid state that we have recorded so far are 1290mm , 1300mm, 1360mm long .

Thanks Pete. Yes we have done a few sets for Meteor now but none for Ted yet. Since Ted precedes Meteor by about a year Tony and I would like to be sure of the lenght. The 3 measurements for Stern solid state that we have recorded so far are 1290mm , 1300mm, 1360mm long .

should explain don't get the game until next saturday, just looking to order a set now

• Like 2

• Administrators

One Meteor set for me please my man. I am well and truly over-invested in the game already, I may as well spend a bit more!

• Like 2

It looks in great original nick Tony. have you thought about maybe preserving it rather than restoring it? . I mean get it running a 100% but leave the rest as a good original survivor.

indeed, now I have after a few beers.

first of lots of questions:

looking for a ding free stern front door

drop target decals

backglass trim

can bally flipper kits sub for this era stern

source of quality hex head screws

source of 40 cent front door decals.

• Like 1