Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Quicksilver Resto

OK guys a thread I should have started 6 years ago. I am going to keep it quick and simple, with mainly before and after shots, with a bit of text in between in point form. This is also not hard core resto like some of you experts do (especially Falcon's Quicksilver resto thread which is just friggin' awesome) I bought this game 6 years ago, started on it straight away, and then sort of dropped off with it, not even sure why, but i've always been stoked that I own it. I do have old pics so I will start with them. I'm sure there are things I have forgotten, due to me being mentally challenged, so I am sure I will pick up on some things to add as I go along.

Why this game? - When I discovered IPDB, I decided I was going to buy a machine, so I went through all the SS games from around '78-82, and printed out pics of the games that I thought looked cool. Quicksilver was part of that list and I have never seen or played one. When it came time to buy sometime later, the nearest dealer (who will remain un-named) had pics of games on his site, and had a Quicksilver. So it was out of Quicksilver or Gorgar, and since the Quicksilver had been sold, I grabbed a Gorgar, a game I was familiar with. So my first pin could have very well been a Quicksilver, even though I never played one. A year or so later I end up buying a Stern Galaxy, my first Classic Stern, and the gameplay had me immediately looking for more old Sterns, so with Quicksilver not only do I get a cool Classic Stern, but I also get to experience what my first pin experience may have been like as a bit of a bonus, kinda like going back to the start, cause I am a weird dude when it comes to things like that....

(I'll add to this soon, for some reason the forum is resetting on me, so i'll have to do short posts until I work out what's going on.)

I noticed I have posted in the wrong place, I have not been here for a while. Can this get moved over to the SS resto's?

• Like 10

The main worry I had about a QS is wear around the bonus area so that was the first thing I looked at, and it looked good, so that pretty much made the decision for me without worrying about anything else. A lot of the playfield is mylared, and I LOVE mylared playfields, I have never understood why people remove this stuff, the playfield will never wear, I will not need to keep it waxed, I could probably even get away with using a half rusted ball without damaging the art. The top of the playfield has a run of wear when the ball shoots into play along the rail, with text worn off. Not sure yet what to do there. Why the whole thing did not get mylared I do not understand. I will keep it heavily waxed for now. It all needed a good strip/clean.

6.thumb.JPG.99c92c8abaead6e6cd9f142759c40212.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.883509653e23870c214145af11e1f8b8.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.f8f0e38043395e7b3c28564afa97db05.JPG

9.thumb.JPG.26fa150a5c467c16800a3b401994191c.JPG

1.thumb.JPG.4a46ff7275cc1b52301502247b432785.JPG

• Like 5

Everyone knows sweeping a bank of classic Stern drops is one of the great things in pinball. I have yet to play the QS, but with fast crazy whacky ass games like my Seawitch I was snapping drops in half, so I pulled the drops banks out, and glued some pins along the back. Never had a problem since. I also clean them, made some decals on a free art/photo program on my computer and covered with mylar (before decals were available from Pinball Rescue which I now have but have not applied yet). I also gave the drop bank case a bit of a going over with metal polish to clean gunk off.

BIG thank s to classic Stern kingpin @Ballywannabe for sending me some original drop targets. Not sure if things have changed but I have read many times that repro drops do not sweep as good as the originals, so I am sticking with originals even though some are showing their age. It's ALL ABOUT THE DROPS.

I have included pics from my Seawitch work years back because I did not take a lot of pics of the QS target work.....

24.JPG.9add5764287a3dc3f8328c5c6e05b46e.JPG

23.JPG.6c4f430ffba9de96e49ee43fd4ec5e99.JPG

21.JPG.9689ea2e087b57e4e7755073557fd27e.JPG

25.JPG.d026cc67fa5dc806d718f7b8314ac502.JPG

22.JPG.5ff5325afc3e998aeeacc7385ee3d3eb.JPG

20.thumb.JPG.cbce79e58377c23da442399c650759d2.JPG

19.thumb.JPG.b34fffd050a539f471bf62c8cbc1148f.JPG

• Like 2

The backglass was not great, I did not care. There is art missing from the bottom corner, and a bit of lifting around the centre. My plan was to scan it, touch up on computer, and then somehow print a glass up. When I put it in my Galaxy and powered it up to see what it looked like, it actually turned out pretty good, the missing art in the corner just looked dark anyway, so I would have taken out bulbs behind that area, so I could have lived with it as is.

@rod71 informs me that repro glasses are getting made in the U.S., WTF?? what are the chances??? So AA nice guy @Railways organizes a massive group backglass buy, where I grabbed not only a QS backglass, but a replacement for my average Seawitch baclglass as well. My memory is a bit sketchy here, I needed new lift channelsfrom U.S.for my new glasses (before they were available here), and I think it was @skids who helped me out here with a group parts buy. I will post up pics of the glasses when I unbox them, hopefully the art is still intact....

Pic of original backglass in the QS machine. I resprayed the black cabinet trim, and you can also see where I resprayed the Seawitch cabinet trim blue next to it...

863760292_backglassold.JPG.fcad04326906cd662c7dc07515a239a1.JPG

• Like 3

When the game was in parts, I took the cab and backbox to the garage and gave them a clean with Nifti. Never done this to a game before. The amount of gunge that seeped out was incredible. I did not get pics but the cab art is in pretty good shape. No fade on these old Sterns.

Coindoor and legs sandblasted, primed, and painted hammer grey (did my Seawitch at the same time). I also have new beehive shooter casing which will need to be drilled out a tad before I put it on, to fit the shooter rod. Apparently my original beehive and shooter rod is a Gottlieb??

The apron that came with the game was generic black/orange. I have seen pics on QS's with black/orange aprons so I am thinking it left the factory like this. So another surprise. Pinball Rescue are making QS aprons, plastics, and decal art. Again, what are the chances?? I bought an apron decal along with new plastics and sinner/target decals. I bought a can of green spraypaint from bunnings, and it's a perfect (pics don't show this) match to the playfield, total fluke.

I can not put into words with a keyboard the difference a new/clean green apron makes to the appearance of this game. It is the single biggest improvement to the playing area by far. This game now looks like it is going to be one hell of a player, the apron has bought it all together.....

76707426_apronshooter.JPG.7b27d614dc6048c1aeec2711972f9c59.JPG

1889744653_apronfront.JPG.93c78f7672aaf272e7728dca6ff13adf.JPG

• Like 3

Yeah nah, not me, but you’re welcome :laugh:

Hahah OK wrong guy. Whoever it was, really sorry for forgetting. Someone also dropped off my new backglasses, and I can't remember who they are either. Please guys chime in and let yourself be known....(and to think I have not had a drop of alcohol in 4 friggin years or so🙄 I can't even remember when I stopped drinking the stuff) so much for that.

• Like 1

Wow this game is looking a lot better.

That BG resto group buy of 16 backglasses delivered to 4 different addresses must have been 5 + years ago. Mostly forgotten about how long it took to get them off ol' mate overseas:rolleyes

• Like 3

Wow this game is looking a lot better.

That BG resto group buy of 16 backglasses delivered to 4 different addresses must have been 5 + years ago. Mostly forgotten about how long it took to get them off ol' mate overseas:rolleyes

You put in a huge effort mate....

• Like 2

You put in a huge effort mate....

Thanks. it was a long haul but we got there. It wasn't till ol' mate had left his "cell number" on an email and I worked out when was the best time to call him personally to say WTF.

• Like 1

I did the obvious stuff. All plastic posts soaked in detergent, all metal polished. Any posts holes that were loose/worn beyond repair, which is was not many, were redone by putting a new screw up through the playfield and screwed tight at the top with a nut on top of the plastic post, then topped off with a white rubber cap. Works a treat and is super tight and solid.

post.JPG.22431f3f0b2a0aa9ca883d049bc117d4.JPG

The boards had parts missing including all the chips. So off to Ken @Skybeaux to do his thing. The sound board was missing but Ken a repro one on hand just at the right time so I grabbed it.

I have no idea when the machine was last powered up. I installed boards, wired it up, plugged the power cord into a long extension lead, stood back with a fire extinguisher, and fired her up....(you can see thin white lines/marks on the playfield which is the cleaned edges of the mylar.)

Straight into attract mode, no problems.

1965320370_sparkup.JPG.89dc7d429ead4c270cd7b37d161dbb71.JPG

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

OK spinners finished. Painted yellow to start, did not really need it but i did it anyway so the sides are matching. Really edgy experience putting decals on, took me a while to get the balls to do it. Pinball Rescue did a great job of making the mylar a touch shorter around the edges, trying to line up clear plastic is not easy, but it the size made it a lot easier to not mess it up. I tracked down some original photos before applying decals, it seems some people are putting the 's' the wrong way up, as well as the stars. The stars design top and bottom are not identical.

I'll be back soon with this resto. I need some parts, and my pathetic hifi addiction has come calling again which is taking up my time, so bear with me....

Almost forgot to mention Tony @illawarra_steelers supplied me with a spinner, mailed to me, free of charge, and it was a classic Stern spinner too. AA legend.😎

DSCN3073.JPG.38750ceb5d54792981b90fd0676e3752.JPG

• Like 5