Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gottlieb Count-Down cabinet restoration

Collapse

Post your SS Pinball Project pictures and logs here.

X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A month has gone by since my last update and I have stalled at bit on this project.
    I have finished making the stencil but haven't had a chance to used them on the cabinet yet due to the weather etc.

I have spent a few hours cleaning up the bottom board though, I did the following:
    - stripped off everything and gave the wood a good sanding
    - reproduced all the labels as the old one were torn and filthy
    - replaced the power cord and plug
    - replaced the EMI line filter even though it was still working, it is over 40 years old so time to change it
    - added the 2 extra fuses to protect the small transformer

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-05-31 19.15.24.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	2136766
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice work Judge. I have replaced the EMI filter in my Joker Poker the same as yours. I purchased again now for Genie but it looks a bit fatter than the one pictured. Where did you purchase the filter from?

Sent from my AGM A8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kimbleseven View Post
        Nice work Judge. I have replaced the EMI filter in my Joker Poker the same as yours. I purchased again now for Genie but it looks a bit fatter than the one pictured. Where did you purchase the filter from?
        https://www.jaycar.com.au/240v-ac-emi-filter/p/MS4001

Comment

A long time between posts on this "quick" project, but as I have fully retired now, hopefully full steam ahead.

I have completed painting one side of the cabinet, just waiting for the weather to heat up a bit before finishing off the front and the other side.

Name:	2020-12-30 11.05.29.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	2184714

I didn't have any problems and I am happy with the result. Pictures not that good as it's a bit gloomy today.

Comment

Looks great Trev .. nice one . Looking forward to retiring myself , mid 2021

Comment

Cabinet painting and stenciling finished at last.

Name:	2021-01-14 09.12.53.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	2187426

I am very happy with the results, the stencils worked out fine with only a few over-spray areas which I fixed up.

Now starting to populate the cabinet.

Name:	2021-01-14 09.12.39.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	2187427

Have installed the base board which I refurbished a few months ago. Put in a working power switch and cover which was missing.

Working on the coin door now, just have to finish the re-graining on the front.

Comment

Finally got the coin door finished today. So much time pulling it apart, de-rusting the metal parts, re-graining the door and polishing everything, then of cause putting it back together again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-01-17 13.56.14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	264.1 KB ID:	2188039

There were quite a few dents in the door but it didn't come out too bad in the end. The only things missing are the coin return flap and the Gottlieb decal. As I don't need anything else at the moment these parts are a bit too expensive to just order by themselves. I would normally also replace the red coin entrance plates but managed to find a couple that were acceptable for now.

One thing that I did spend a fair bit of time on was the coin door frame. As you can see from this image, someone damaged the frame near the lock with a crow bar or something similar.

Name:	image_162540.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	2188040

Using several different metal punches and a metal file, I managed to get it looking respectable.

Name:	image_162541.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	2188042

Next thing to do is to nail on the new side rails. I put them in position today but I will have to slightly move the flipper buttons to make them fit.
                I've had enough today so thats a job for tomorrow.

Comment

Great job on the door and trim judging by the pics !

Comment

Machine looks sweet. It looks better than I remember on the street and they were only 1-2 years old then. The frame is fine. Why bother replacing it I say. Credit to your repair skills. I really appreciate a good repair over a replacement. As a tech where replacement was often out of the question, I have a bit of an idea how hard it is to do such repairs. Under a hour to swap a door frame or a couple of hours with a pin punch with the frame in a vice. I know what's quicker but you miss the satifaction when done the hard way.
                    Great job.

Comment

That door frame repair looks really good in the photos. Good job!
                      This is where it ends!

Comment

The cabinet is now done.
                        New rails and ball shooter have been installed and the playfield is in.

Name:	2021-01-20 12.53.06.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	2188590

Now have to de-rust the legs and start on the head.

Comment

Nice work! I'm about to start on a Count Down resto myself

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                          Working...
                          X