Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gottlieb Count-Down cabinet restoration

Collapse

Post your SS Pinball Project pictures and logs here.

X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gottlieb Count-Down cabinet restoration

Since I'm stuck at home with no current projects, I thought that I should get off my butt and do something.

I have had a Gottlieb Count-Down for awhile now and it just needs a few things done to it.
    The playfield is mylar protected and is really nice and it was updated before I got it with new bits and pieces, so no need to touch it.
    The backglass is a new repro one, so that's all good.
    Also has a pascal board so no problems there either.

It basically just needs and good clean up and a cabinet repair and re-paint.
    Also some parts are not quite correct and will need to be replaced. eg. no power button, shooter is the wrong one ...

The cabinet itself is painted red with a few dings that will need to be filled etc.

I plan on doing things a bit differently this time, starting and finishing the main cabinet, including the power board etc, before starting on the backbox. I find trying to do it all in one go gets a bit over whelming, so trying this approach. Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	194.3 KB ID:	2123767
    Attached Files
    Last edited by thejudge; 12 April 2020, 09:10 PM.

Today I stripped down the cabinet and partially sanded the side to hopefully see enough of the original artwork so that I can make a stencil.
    The design is not too hard just a bit easier when you have something to trace.
    I might have to do a bit more sanding but I can see enough to get the stencils close enough.

Attached Files
    Last edited by thejudge; 10 April 2020, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Countdown1.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	2123781 You could try this version for your stencils. Not original but I think it looks better.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by shedstuff View Post
        You could try this version for your stencils. Not original but I think it looks better.
        Yeah I have seen this version of the art work, but I'll stick with the original design for now.
        Thanks.

Comment

I would be very keen on all the details you can provide on making your own stencils.

Cheers
          Craft

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty View Post
            I would be very keen on all the details you can provide on making your own stencils.
            Cheers
            Craft
            The way I do the stencils is to firstly sand off enough of the paint to see the original art work. I then highlight the objects as best that I can. In this case I can get almost all of the design from this side, hopefully I will get the rest from the other side of the cabinet. If not I will just estimate based on the pictures on ipdb.org.

Name:	2020-04-12 12.49.07.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	2124411

I then put down the stencil media and trace the objects for each of the colors.
            This one I have started for the white objects. I also mark the objects for the orange color in the areas where they overlap to help with lining up the stencils.

Name:	2020-04-12 13.34.39.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	2124410

These are the orange objects. Also noted that I mark where the flipper button goes and also the leg bolt holes to help with lining up the stencils.

Name:	2020-04-12 13.58.17.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	2124412
            Once the all the objects have been drawn on the stencil media, then I get a sharpie and cut out the specific objects for that color.

Comment

Ok stencil media ?
              Please explain ?
              I assume you make multiple stencils? As in one for each colour?
              Where do you get it from and what is it exactly, Thank you for the extra detail so far. Much appreciated

Comment

Very simple and basic design I would just
                Transfer what you have done with your tracing sheet onto the cabinet when you have finished your main base colour of course and just mask it up and do one colour at a time.
                I know some people will disagree but with something so basic I think masking tape would work fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                Putting out the feelers for my next early Gotlieb project

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty View Post
                  Ok stencil media ?
                  Please explain ?
                  I assume you make multiple stencils? As in one for each colour?
                  Where do you get it from and what is it exactly, Thank you for the extra detail so far. Much appreciated
                  Stencil media I have used in the past is acetate sheets and card board for more detailed designs.
                  Not quite sure what the stuff is i'm using at the moment as another AA member gave it to me.
                  But basically you need something transparent that not too hard to cut with a sharpie and doesn't curl too much.
                  You can get acetate sheets from an art store and I think Spotlight has them as well.

Yes, you do a stencil for each color, so 2 stencils for the one side and you just reverse for the other side.
                  And of cause 2 for the front, 2 for the back box sides and one for the headbox front.

Comment

Gottlieb Spiderman is a very detailed cabinet compared to countdown. Might be worth finding another person on here or pinside that would go halves in the cost and get Jeff the pinball pimp to make them up.

Sent from my AGM A8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thejudge View Post
                      Since I'm stuck at home with no current projects, I thought that I should get off my butt and do something.

I have had a Gottlieb Count-Down for awhile now and it just needs a few things done to it.
                      The playfield is mylar protected and is really nice and it was updated before I got it with new bits and pieces, so no need to touch it.
                      The backglass is a new repro one, so that's all good.
                      Also has a pascal board so no problems there either.

It basically just needs and good clean up and a cabinet repair and re-paint.
                      Also some parts are not quite correct and will need to be replaced. eg. no power button, shooter is the wrong one ...

The cabinet itself is painted red with a few dings that will need to be filled etc.

I plan on doing things a bit differently this time, starting and finishing the main cabinet, including the power board etc, before starting on the backbox. I find trying to do it all in one go gets a bit over whelming, so trying this approach. Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	194.3 KB ID:	2123767
                      I remember seeing that for sale awhile back, was that Nathans one?
                      Can Play while not spilling the beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Defender View Post

I remember seeing that for sale awhile back, was that Nathans one?
                        Yes, it was Nathans 2 owners back.

Comment

After finishing the tracing for the stencils, I sanded the cabinet back and filled up all the scratches and gouges etc.

Name:	2020-04-23 12.18.25.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	2128967
                          I then gave it a few coats of primer with sanding in between costs.

Name:	2020-04-24 14.14.55.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	2128969
                          Normally I spray my cabinets with automotive acrylic at a mate's house, but I wasn't able to do that this time, so I thought I'd try doing it with a rattle can.

I matched the color as close as I could and after about 3 coats it's come up alright. I also normally go for a satin finish but I could only get the color I wanted in gloss, so it's shiny

Name:	2020-04-29 12.18.18.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	2128968

Name:	2020-04-29 12.19.03.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	2128970
                          I used 2 cans to do this and about $15 a can, not too bad.

The color looks a bit light in the pictures, but I think that's because of the glossy finish and the sun was out as well. In real life the color match is pretty well spot on.

Over the next day or so I'll do the speckle effect and let it sit for a few days. In the meantime I have to cut out the stencils and get them ready.

Comment

Looks really good! Colours don't have to be perfect. Compared to pinball pool cabinet this one is a breeze.

Sent from my AGM A8 using Tapatalk

Comment

the thing is it's all blue atm, once the other colours get applied it will be sweet (looks great btw).

...also you still have the boat
                              looking to buy gottlieb electro mechanical pinball machines from any era

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X