Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottlieb Genie Restoration

The next restoration is a Genie from 1979. This big and wide beauty was originally an export to Japan. Lots of work to do, looks like she has had a hard life. I will post more pics and a todo list shortly.

Sent from my AGM A8 using Tapatalk

image_149235.thumb.jpg.a609d2e4134746a769c9e6a998dd778e.jpg

image_149236.thumb.jpg.3c3d936998d8c2add0e3ab46e53a965e.jpg

image_149237.thumb.jpg.360b90518eadb00bb253a992989de64f.jpg

Edited by Arcade King
  • Like 5

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a few games on this machine and for the most part it works. The 10 point switches are not working and sometimes when the ball ejects to shooter lane 10 points is added to the score. Ball save feature is intermittent and the skill shot does a weird thing where the a b c d lights cycle but then one doesn't flash. I am going to re pin the connectors and hopefully this helps solve some of the problems.

The playfield is super dirty. Not sure what I should use to clean it. Looks to be in good condition. Not sure if I should get it cleared or because of the mylar on parts just leave it and wax it up, or maybe get a German playfield protector.

The backglass is in fair condition but has lost the red completely. The blue shade over the 4 digit display has peeled. I will most likely be getting a bgresto backglass. Even with the poor exchange rate I think this game needs it.

The legs don't tighten up and have nuts on the inside for each bolt. Although the legs are in okay condition I have some better 27inch legs for the front and I will try to clean up the 31inch legs on the back. I might make a pvc tube and buy evaporust and soak. Will also put new bolts and leg levellers on.

The coin door is in good condition except there are 3 holes where a latch used to be. I have already cleaned up a coin entry plate with new red coin inserts and labels.

• Like 1

The cabinet is in average condition with a few chunks of timber missing here and there. But it is solid without water damage. I'm hoping to get pimp stencils or if it's too expensive I will try to make my own. The design is fairly simple but I'm not sure of my skills on round edges etc.

The worst part is the lock mech is missing for the backbox. To open the door I have to remove a screw...Not only is the lock missing but the whole system 1 assembly that the lock actuates. If anyone has a spare one(and also one of the two latches on the door) I would love to hear from you.

I have had a few games on this machine and for the most part it works. The 10 point switches are not working and sometimes when the ball ejects to shooter lane 10 points is added to the score. Ball save feature is intermittent and the skill shot does a weird thing where the a b c d lights cycle but then one doesn't flash. I am going to re pin the connectors and hopefully this helps solve some of the problems.

The playfield is super dirty. Not sure what I should use to clean it. Looks to be in good condition. Not sure if I should get it cleared or because of the mylar on parts just leave it and wax it up, or maybe get a German playfield protector.

The backglass is in fair condition but has lost the red completely. The blue shade over the 4 digit display has peeled. I will most likely be getting a bgresto backglass. Even with the poor exchange rate I think this game needs it.

The legs don't tighten up and have nuts on the inside for each bolt. Although the legs are in okay condition I have some better 27inch legs for the front and I will try to clean up the 31inch legs on the back. I might make a pvc tube and buy evaporust and soak. Will also put new bolts and leg levellers on.

The coin door is in good condition except there are 3 holes where a latch used to be. I have already cleaned up a coin entry plate with new red coin inserts and labels.

The 10 points sounds like you have a switch touching, they are all in parellel so one touches and none score until the ball being shot out makes the touching switch momentarily untouch and scores.

Ball save feature, on Genie, are you sure?

Skillshot, again are you sure?

Genie...1979....basic. Such features come out years later. Maybe the board has been changed allowing such features but the original Gottlieb board certainly didn't have a ball save or skillshot.

The machine looks in great condition and I'd be happy with it just working correctly myself and as clean as you can get it. A Genie is just to easy to spend more money on it than it is worth if you go buying backglasses and playfields etc. That is my honest opinion.

Clean it up the best it will come up, get everything working on it and just enjoy it. It's a hard game to master and enjoyable to play.

• Like 2

Thanks Steve :) I will suss out the 10 point switch tonight mate. Forgot to mention it has a pascal janin mpu with those extra features. I know I won't get my money back on it but I just want to make it shine. Or at least do what you said with a new backglass.

Make sure someone has put a fuse in to protect the small transformer. You don't want to need to track one of those down. Mod is easy to find on the net. Any system one Gottlieb needs it done as the factory never did it.
  • Like 1

Thanks again Steve. I should have checked all fuses first damn it. Lucky you said as there was a fast blow approx 10amp protecting the primary side of the small transformer! Changed it to what the label says (1amp slow blow) I will check all fuses.

10 point switch stuck on. Has fixed everything mentioned above. :)

Happy days, I always wanted to do a Genie or Haunted House resto mod. Good layouts but just needed a couple of later model parts, ( probably not Gottlieb), to make them nice and quick. Like I said....Resto mod.

• Like 1

Vacuumed the playfield and got rid of all the dust. I used some novus 1 on the mylar and a microfiber cloth to clean. Looks like the mylar was added later as there is some gunk under it. But the mylar has protected the playfield and kept it in good nic. In the shooter lane and in some areas where there is not mylar I have used some novus 2 and gently cleaned.

I have replaced the shooter rod assembly with a better one and replaced all the screws/washers on the lane guides with new. Cleaned up the arch metal piece. Cleaned up the ball eject metal protector. New shiny acorn speed nuts. New globes on the playfield. New flashers and globes on the backglass. I have ordered some colour matching leds for under the playfield. New coin door lock. Still need to clean up the coin door and put a new sticker on.

• Like 2

Vacuumed the playfield and got rid of all the dust. I used some novus 1 on the mylar and a microfiber cloth to clean. Looks like the mylar was added later as there is some gunk under it. But the mylar has protected the playfield and kept it in good nic. In the shooter lane and in some areas where there is not mylar I have used some novus 2 and gently cleaned.

I have replaced the shooter rod assembly with a better one and replaced all the screws/washers on the lane guides with new. Cleaned up the arch metal piece. Cleaned up the ball eject metal protector. New shiny acorn speed nuts. New globes on the playfield. New flashers and globes on the backglass. I have ordered some colour matching leds for under the playfield. New coin door lock. Still need to clean up the coin door and put a new sticker on.

Genie 🧞�♀� is such a great title you have a good eye for classics Jesse �

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Rob. I'm really liking the system 1 games at the moment. Genie has a good layout with lots to do on the playfield. People say it is a slow playing game but I have a few ideas on how I can speed up the gameplay.

• Like 3

I haven't been able to get much interest in a group buy for a genie apron decal. So I am going to mail my apron to Carson at Noodleshirt and he is going to see what magic he can do.

I've installed the correct size fuses now. I also have printed the instruction cards and put yellowed covers on them. I have started cleaning up metal parts on and off the playfield.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1586230051_0089.thumb.jpg.02bbac4eec0f21e91cd985c14b64fc45.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1586230051_1958.thumb.jpg.f709c1719c4630b7fce2ca782d1b7336.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1586230051_3239.thumb.jpg.914e5821e9d29f4fd5b9cac5460c07c2.jpg

• Like 1

Removed the coin door skin to soak in white vinegar. Hopefully it comes up nice except for the 3 holes drilled in it...

Found an Aussie 1 cent coin from 1984 inside. Makes me think when did this machine make the trip from Japan to Aus? Has to be after 84 but perhaps before 1992 when the 1 and 2 cent coins were phased out?

Did anyone know that 1 and 2 cent coins are still legal tender up to the sum of 20 cents?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1586252183_1461.thumb.jpg.b111952bf3e689a4cd0eb9d64f6305fc.jpg

• Like 1

why not modify the pinball rescue decal as shown below.

you could still spray the tray yellow, use the centre flipper button section and the d. gottlieb logo to the right.

then with the red v along the top of the tray spray that part?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"large","data-attachmentid":2123036}[/ATTACH]

Great idea Tony! I think the centre flipper button and the Gottlieb logo are smaller on that than the genie one but who will ever know... Will look at this tomorrow. Thanks again mate.

I had a look at the apron and the smaller decal would work but I'm not keen on trying to paint the V. So I will see what Carson can do.

Safety warning with widebodies don't stand the playfield upright because the bracket it stands on doesn't have enough of an angle. Luckily the playfield wasn't damaged or my hand when it fell down on my hand as I tried to save it. One of the inserts did pop out and I spent an hour looking for it. Also damaged a light ba9 base which i changed over. 1 step forward 2 steps back sometimes.

I started changing over the stand up targets. One of the targets snapped in half and another I couldn't get the rivet to tighten up on the target so I have put some "bush mechanic" glue behind it.

I have rebuilt the lower 2 flippers and have found some hacked wiring, no idea what it is for because everything is working except tilt. Hopefully put a backglass order in soon with Bgresto just waiting to hear back from him.

The only thing I really need is the latch lock assembly. If anyone has a wrecked system 1 please let me know :)

• Like 3

Why are the system 1 ball guide timbers so crap compared to the EMs? Should i take them out and sand them back stain and clear?

I normally do mine when I restore but it takes awhile as they are covered with a plastic/vinyl cover which you have to pull off first and it's a pain.

Then you have to sand the glue off them and stain/paint. I normally use gold lacquer spray paint.

• Like 1

Pulled out those timbers and are peeling them. It takes awhile to do this.

Decided the playfield needs some love. 3 options for me. New playfield from mirco (I dont want to support this guy), touch up clean up and clear, or maybe one of those digital decal overlays. Im leaning towards option 2.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1586861763_7409.thumb.jpg.53d7e780550cd4ade231bb6a5babcd18.jpg

• Like 1