Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stern Magic

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stern Magic

    Finally got started doing _something_ with my new machine.

    Picked up a the Magic over a week ago, and haven't even really had a chance to even take picks till now.

    She's definately a project, but to stay positive, here are the GOOD things so far found:

    - The cab art is in really good condition
    - Every plastic is there, and no cracks or anything
    - All the mechanics seem to be there and in nice condition
    - The underside of the PF is the cleanest I have seen in ages
    - No sunken inserts
    - Very little PF wear (a little above the left flipper , and minor bits around some inserts)
    - No mylar! Well, apart from the little pop bumper rings, and they are intact and not trapped dirt under them

    Now for the "needs attention" side of the project:
    - No boards in the head at all - I have arranged for a PDB, and I have a dead MPU to work on. Just need to hunt down an SB-100 sound baord
    - Legs have no levellers on the front
    - Rectifier board is hacked and a resistor has a leg corroded off
    - PF needs a massive clean - dirt and ballswirl present
    - Beehive plunger assemble looks tatty
    - Backglass starting to flake
    - no PF glass
    - no lockdown bar
    - some missing rollover star inserts
    - more to come I'm sure

    I'm also confused about the lockdown assembly and bar. It has a lockdown assembly that looks like a bally one - e.g. it accepts the tabs on the lockdown bar, as opposed to the round headed bolts as on my other stern...

    Well, to pre-empt, here are some pics:

    The hacked bridge board:



    PF wear from flipper and the nackered flipper:



    Skull bumper caps (neat match with the dracula red skull caps):



    No wear near the kickout hole:



    The only cab damage:



    Lockdown assembly and plunger:



    The usual hacked in credit button:



    So much to do, I'll keep you posted

    Cheers
    Jacob

    Just saw the copper wrapped around one of the fuses in that pic - don't panic guys. power isn't going near this for a while yet!
    Last edited by AskJacob; 21st December 2008, 09:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  • #2
    looks like magic eraser time!

    Comment


    • #3
      oh yes indeed. Bought some on Friday. Still haven't unwrapped them yet...

      Cheers
      Jacob

      Comment


      • #4
        cant wait to see how it comes up mate

        Comment


        • #5
          Should be a winner. The dirtier the better, the instant satisfaction is awesome
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            I can help with a lock down bar. However, it will need a little welding on each end. I will post a pic tomorrow

            Comment


            • #7
              sweet!!! keep those resto pics coming. ( i need all the help i can get)
              WTB: Genie, Black Hole, Gorgar, GnR...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AskJacob View Post
                I'm also confused about the lockdown assembly and bar. It has a lockdown assembly that looks like a bally one - e.g. it accepts the tabs on the lockdown bar, as opposed to the round headed bolts as on my other stern...
                Lots of work there for you Jacob Stern changed to the 'tabbed' lockdown bar sometime in 1979, so any bar from a later Stern (except widebody) will do the job. Unfortunately a Bally bar won't fit.

                Good to see the usual hacks in the power supply

                cheers
                Ian
                Last edited by Ballywannabe; 22nd December 2008, 08:14 AM. Reason: Added info.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ballywannabe View Post
                  Lots of work there for you Jacob Stern changed to the 'tabbed' lockdown bar sometime in 1979, so any bar from a later Stern (except widebody) will do the job. Unfortunately a Bally bar won't fit.

                  Good to see the usual hacks in the power supply

                  cheers
                  Ian
                  Ah thanks, still learning every day. So, a late 79+ Stern lockdown bar is what I need to chase down, thanks!

                  Yeah, the soldered wires to the pins are "chaining down" the playfield so I can't walk off with it yet - my guess (by the burnt pin) is they have some GI wiring there in that connector.

                  A big rebuild on the way for the bridge board - here's hoping there's no lifted tracks on the PCB...

                  Cheers
                  Jacob

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've got one that needs a little welding on each end. Buggered if i know how it happened. All i can think of is some newb couldn't figure out how to get the glass off, so started hacking into the lockdown bar?.

                    Apparently a tig welder will do the trick.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rod71 View Post
                      I've got one that needs a little welding on each end. Buggered if i know how it happened. All i can think of is some newb couldn't figure out how to get the glass off, so started hacking into the lockdown bar?.

                      Apparently a tig welder will do the trick.
                      Ooops I somehow missed your previous post

                      I should be able to get that welded - I'm keen on it, thanks!

                      Cheers
                      Jacob

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey Jacob,

                        thought this auction maybe of some use to your project?
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-BOARDS-for-...1%7C240%3A1318


                        Cheers.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Artistic shots of a bad situation

                          So, I have been slowly gathering some parts for this project over the past 6 months (already? bloody hell).

                          Each time I get started, the MPU board keeps putting me off... I know I can always get another one, but I really do want to try and get this one going.

                          Attached are some shots of what I have to work with here. Almost all the craptacular sockets have been removed, but other than that, no cleanup other than the vinegar rinse has been done.

                          Its times like these I wish I had a bead-blasting rig, would make this job a lot easier. Oh well, hard yakka and a fibre glass pen instead...

                          Here is some of the horror













                          Cheers
                          Jacob

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Jacob - I would STRONGLY advise you to find another board. That one looks too far gone to be worth fixing, and there are plenty of boards on ebay that would be a much better proposition. Even if you get it going, unless you clear all the corrosion it is likely to be unreliable.

                            If you keep at it I will be interested to see if you can get it going...

                            cheers
                            Ian

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ballywannabe View Post
                              Jacob - I would STRONGLY advise you to find another board. That one looks too far gone to be worth fixing, and there are plenty of boards on ebay that would be a much better proposition. Even if you get it going, unless you clear all the corrosion it is likely to be unreliable.

                              If you keep at it I will be interested to see if you can get it going...

                              cheers
                              Ian
                              Thanks, I know, I know. I already chickened out on this board for my Drac, so what the hell. This way I know if it does not work I can frisbee it and not have it wasting storage space. Replacement boards are not too hard to come by, plus looking t the other stuff I need to do yet, the MPU is not urgent at this stage...

                              Yes it is a disaster board, but hey, trying to get it running is better than what is on TV tonight

                              Cheers
                              Jacob

                              Comment

                              Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X