Stern Star Gazer restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stern Star Gazer restore

Ok I thought I would start a tread to show the progress of me restoring this Star Gazer.
    I have gone halves with my nephew as this pin will be at his place once finished
    Its serial no 0550 of 869 built, manufactured date of 26th of June 1980, under the lock down bar it has written in black artline Australia, 1/10, 240V, so from this I understand that it was factory ordered for Australia, and is 1 of 10
    I have looked on the serial numbert data base and there are 2 others listed 0544# & 0545#, I do believe that there is a Perth member that has one also and I hope I can ask some questions and get some pictures from him sometime

I will list my progress and my running tally of what it has cost as I go

Cost so far
    Purchase price $200

Here are some pics of the playfield, im not sure what i will do to this yet as the playfield is pretty rough as you will see in some of the pictures here

Here is a picture of the girl, you can see that she has been touched up and she is not like the original

Here is a pic of the playfeild that shows the wording and you can see that the G has been repainted in, as its not even the same size.

This one is just above the girl and also has been touched up, you can see in the detail that the origonal paint has gone like fish scales

The backglass is mint, which is what made me want to restore the machine, as I suppose its the hardest thing to get, if it was stuffed I would not have bought it.

nice backglass

dam collie people dont know much about the art of being "delicate"
    you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

Well, you got it at the right price - If the backglass is as good as it looks from the front it would be worth that on its own! As I said in the other thread I am the owner of #546, and will help if i can. She is an awesome machine when up and running.

cheers
      Ian

Comment

Mate, it looks a tad rough but as you said the glass is in fantastic nick.

Corroded board is not a showstopper either, may be able to fix it or there are aftermarket boards out there too.

All in all, a good project pin

Cheers
        Jacob

Comment

Originally posted by Ballywannabe View Post
          Well, you got it at the right price - If the backglass is as good as it looks from the front it would be worth that on its own! As I said in the other thread I am the owner of #546, and will help if i can. She is an awesome machine when up and running.

cheers
          Ian
          Cool I might be PM'ing you for some info and possible pics now and then, They have done some rather nasty looking mods in the wiring department and I dont know what its called but its behind the coin box and looks like a power distribution board of some sort with fuses, it looks pretty sad with its bodgie repairs, at least it came with the wiring diagram and manual though

Looks like the serial numbers from 541 - 550 may have been the 10 ordered for Australia wonder how many are left out of these.

Has your girl on the playfield have the tassle above the knee also?

Comment

Yeah, mine is the 'tassel on' version. Power supply board is usually butchered on Sterns as the pins could not handle the current, so they would get hard-wired in all sorts of ways. You need to rebuild the rectifier board (with the fuses) including new male pins then repin the female connectors with trifcon (three contact points) pins. I have done this to all of my Sterns.

Comment

awesome backglass. will follow with interest. all the best.

Comment

Very desirable game here in the states, can't wait to see the progress as you go.

Comment

I might be on a win with the Star Gazer artwork.

I have been surfing the net looking for any tips on the artwork for this machine when I came across a guy in the states that reprints directly to playfields, just by chance he has Star gazer listed as one of the artworks he can do.

I know that it would cost too much $$$ to send my playfield to him, so I dropped him a email asking if it was possible for him to print it to a viynl overlay for me, wack it in a postal tube and send it to me, Me paying for it and postage of course.
                  I thought like most times ive requested stuff from people from the U.S. that is a bit different from what they usually do, that I would not get a response.

This morning I recieved a response saying that he would check with the guy who does the artwork and his printer to see if it was possible, I know they do do a few other earlier playfields, I just cant find the site that I found it on now.

I have the cabinet stripped out now and am trying to match the colour of the blue so I can repaint the cabinet, ill throw some pictures up this weekend

Comment

sounds promising, that is lovely artwork

Comment

Should be able to match the paint from the inside of the cab.

I'd probably leave that though. Didn't think it looked bad enough to warrant a repaint.

Comment

personally I could live that pf as is, clean and polish would play well and look ok

Comment

Originally posted by prktkljokr View Post
                          I might be on a win with the Star Gazer artwork.

I have been surfing the net looking for any tips on the artwork for this machine when I came across a guy in the states that reprints directly to playfields, just by chance he has Star gazer listed as one of the artworks he can do.

I know that it would cost too much $$$ to send my playfield to him, so I dropped him a email asking if it was possible for him to print it to a viynl overlay for me, wack it in a postal tube and send it to me, Me paying for it and postage of course.
                          I thought like most times ive requested stuff from people from the U.S. that is a bit different from what they usually do, that I would not get a response.

This morning I recieved a response saying that he would check with the guy who does the artwork and his printer to see if it was possible, I know they do do a few other earlier playfields, I just cant find the site that I found it on now.

I have the cabinet stripped out now and am trying to match the colour of the blue so I can repaint the cabinet, ill throw some pictures up this weekend
                          Out ot interest does this same guy do reproduction backglass prints?

I'm chasing a few early 1960s backglasses
                          looking to buy gottlieb electro mechanical pinball machines from any era

Comment

Originally posted by illawarra_steelers View Post
                            Out ot interest does this same guy do reproduction backglass prints?

I'm chasing a few early 1960s backglasses
                            I think so ill check tonight for the website I found it on and let you know.

Originally posted by Sinbad View Post
                            personally I could live that pf as is, clean and polish would play well and look ok
                            If you saw it up close you would understand why I wish to do what im doing, it has had some 3 year old do repairs with daddy's cordless drill.
                            Last edited by prktkljokr; 13th November 2008, 07:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Ok I found it again, he has artwork allready scanned for a few machines.
                              Have a read here
                              http://greatpinball.com/index.html

John Greatwitch is his name, maybe some of you guys have allready heard of him?

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X