No announcement yet.

Stern Quicksilver restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pins in: Funhouse ~ Whirlwind ~ Monster Bash LE ~ Quicksilver ~ JPLE ~ Attack From Mars LE
    Pins out: Star Trek The Next Gen ~ White Water ~ Big Hurt ~ Johnny Mnemonic ~ The Shadow ~ Taxi

Comment

Pins in: Funhouse ~ Whirlwind ~ Monster Bash LE ~ Quicksilver ~ JPLE ~ Attack From Mars LE
      Pins out: Star Trek The Next Gen ~ White Water ~ Big Hurt ~ Johnny Mnemonic ~ The Shadow ~ Taxi

Comment

Most of my spare time is being used elsewhere recently, but put in a few hours yesterday. Wiring loom popped into the dishwasher for cleaning, some polishing of cab parts, door installed, boards installed and most of the cab wiring (not shown here).

Will be doing a zinc run in the next few days, most of the larger metal pieces are looking worse for wear. Also need to buy some new ground wiring as the original is pretty dirty looking. Otherwise cab is getting there. Some smaller parts like flipper switches will be replaced but this won’t be till a later parts order.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200301_094702.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	2114942 looking good. Can I suggest while you have the loom out to replace some of it.... See where I've circled, that corrosion is exactly what I had on my quicksilver that caused all sorts of display issues. All 5 displays had 2 wires with it. I replaced them in the machine but it will be way easier with the loom out.

Comment

Hey Rob, you mean the connector? I didn’t have a close look but did notice it and assumed it was drawn on. I’ve already replaced some connectors and had planned on doing them all. Will definitely take a closer look. Thanks for picking that up.

Comment

Yeah, replace the connector but also the whole wire that is corroded. I found that corrosion was right through the whole wire. It appears to be a reaction between the wire and insulation, whether there was a dodgy batch back in the day? I've heard a few quicksilvers have had the same issue

Comment

I’ve had some corrosion at the board end (fixed by skybeau) but hadn’t noticed any at the part end... you might be right regarding the wire being effected also. Thanks for the tip.

Feel free to share any other Quicksilver bullet proofing tips 😀👌

Comment

Topside stripped.

Comment

All topside metalwork getting tumbled with fresh corn cob. I used walnut shell on the cabinet parts and found it lacked shine, so back to the trusty corn cob.

Will let it run for a couple of days.

Comment

All the plastics are going through the ultrasonic machine. Does a great job with only warm water and detergent. A number of the old posts are brittle and cracked, they’ll be replaced. The pop bumper caps came up a treat!!

Comment

Finished my first ever drop target bank this eve. A lot more work than expected. Handy tip, do one at a time so you have the other as a reference. I thought I took enough photos but got found out a couple of times. Also, make sure your springs are all around the right way, if not they’ll pull targets in different directions.

Everything had a clean with isopropyl first, then popped into the dishwasher , then hand polished on the bench sander. Was going to zinc coat it, but this project is already costing a fortune and more to the point, if I was to drop it off, in this climate with COVID-19, there’s no guarantee I’ll get it back any time soon.

Drop targets will either be repainted or re-decalled.

Old V Polished

Comment

2 1/2 days of tumbling and 40 year old metal looks brand new again. If someone has a tip for getting the tumbler media out of the screw heads would love to hear it. Easily one of the more frustrating tasks.

Photo does no justice, looks brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnyfalcon View Post
                            If someone has a tip for getting the tumbler media out of the screw heads would love to hear it. Easily one of the more frustrating tasks.
                            Pretty sure I read somewhere to put bluetac in there before hand, not that it helps you now of course...

Looking great Chris, hope to play it someday.

Comment

Put them back in the tumbler with no media for 5 minutes. Let the tumbler do the work for you.
                              Dave
                              ************************************************** *******************
                              Remember--The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Comment

Originally posted by furballx View Post
                                Put them back in the tumbler with no media for 5 minutes. Let the tumbler do the work for you.
                                Dave
                                Really??? Makes complete sense, have you tried it??

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X