Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STERN 1978 "STARS" pinball.

Collapse

Post your SS Pinball Project pictures and logs here.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STERN 1978 "STARS" pinball.

What do you think? I've nilly finished overhauling my Stern 1978 "Stars" pinball. I'm ready now for the outside cab pictures. I hate the original box stencils . Looks like a kindergarten drawing to me. So how about this , I get a decal made instead. I knocked this picture up on Word.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190130_175014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	1909328Click image for larger version

Name:	20190130_175620.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	1909329

Can Play while not spilling the beer.

Comment

i hate it. its a classic stern not a 90s space toy. please dont butcher it. clean it up an trade it on a newer space dmd if you like that style

Comment

Comment

The Artist Formally Known As #1

Comment

Seeing you asked for opinions.
            I dont like it at all, Looks Tacky and cheap. Not that im against redoing art on a game, its just too modern and wouldnt suit at all, a sticker on an older style pinball would also look wrong .

re-paint it and re-stencil the thing and it will look magic, new paint will make the difference.
            But If you really hated the art that much and dead set on a change, find a period correct design, one that would at least suit the playfield art.

Comment

Comment

Paint belongs on pinballs, all pinballs in my opinion. It is just so much more durable. I often wonder how much the factories saved using stickers that are near impossible to do anything with but replace as a set.
                They must of been super cheap for the factories to make and use stickers over painting. Certainly not the price side art sells for these days or the factories would still be painting them wouldn't they?.

Comment

I have a Stars in very similar condition and plan on redoing the cabinet. This is a great option for redoing the artwork while keeping it original: STARS | Pinball Pimp Stencils. Sterns of this era have very simple artwork, so you could make up your own stencils if you've got the time and inclination.

http://www.afpinball.com
                  "Pinball... harmless recreation for a modest consideration"

Comment

I agree with the the what most are saying the original artwork is the way to go for a machine of this vintage it would look brilliant repainted with the correct stencils.
                    But hell its your machine if you want to do something else go for it just remember if you do go to sell it people want original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Putting out the feelers for my next early Gotlieb project

Comment

Originally posted by Defender View Post
                      The new stencil looks great, if it was STTNG, but the older machines came out that way. It would be a travesty to have new decals on it, but hey, it’s your machine and you do what you like.
                      Agree

Comment

Comment

@SPURR

Geeze mate, they gave you a pizzling didn't they? Do you need a hug after that?
                          Dave
                          Last edited by furballx; 31 January 2019, 01:58 PM.
                          ************************************************** *******************
                          Remember--The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Comment

Gidday Spurr
                            Some harsh comments above...but you get that with forums and grumpy old men.
                            I like some customized stuff myself and respect that you want to improve on the cab.
                            I went online and checked out Stars and agree the cab is pretty average/basic. I think with a fresh stencil job and even gloss or semigloss finish it would really jazz it up. Maybe even a bit more detail in the rocket to match the playfield or something like that. Ultimately your choice.
                            I respect your design but don't personally think it is a good match to the playfield and backglass era. Best of luck choosing and don't hold back showing the end result.

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X