Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Time To Build A Homebrew.

Collapse

Non Commercial Pinball Projects.

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Needs some customization but the
    principle works well.


    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190322_180707322.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1847059
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190322_180645921.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1847060
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190322_180635682.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1847061
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190322_180615611.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1847062
    fOr No rAIsOn

    Comment


    • #92
      these are a handy light device to use a switch activation to then trigger a servo to drop a target etc

      https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13118

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by swinks View Post
        these are a handy light device to use a switch activation to then trigger a servo to drop a target etc

        https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13118
        Sparkfun is good.
        fOr No rAIsOn

        Comment


        • #94
          Yer I was looking at servos as the memory drop but found the coils for pretty much the same price as the servos but they don't need a driver circuit each servo. Servos were nearly being used to reset the target as well. I did have one servo doing both the reset and memory, spin one way 180 degrees to reset and reverse 180 degrees to drop the target. Servo arm had a spring sticking off it so it would lift the target then bend the spring till it flicked past. Reverse the servo and the spring pushes the target backwards and again flicks past.

          Comment


          • #95
            I was looking at using these open cradle relay assemblies as the memory coil at one stage.


            It is basically the internals of a car Bosch relay with a big brass plate that moves about 3mm when the coil is energized and returns under spring tension.
            Pretty similar to how Williams drop the target down on T2 etc if I connect an arm to the brass plate. Problem is would it have enough strength to knock the target down reliably?. It is much smaller than a coil though but the coil creates a lot more pressure to definitely drop the target.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by swinks View Post
              these are a handy light device to use a switch activation to then trigger a servo to drop a target etc

              https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13118
              That's nice. A bit expensive but nice.

              Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
              Last edited by BIG Trev; 25 March 2019, 06:04 AM.

              Comment


              • #97
                Twin Drop Target Bank

                I may have no money as we save for two operations I need but I still make parts, plus it keeps my mind off worrying when I keep my hands busy.

                The design of the machine calls for two twin drop target banks and seeing as Williams never made them, I'll make them I figured.

                Need some suitable metal to make the main assembly from, what have I got?. An offcut piece of pearling from the farm house looks ideal.



                Cut two pieces.



                Trim them to size, drill some holes on the drill press and slot them out.



                And a test assembly to make sure I got all those holes exactly where they needed to be.



                All looks OK. I need to source some material for the targets but I'm after something a bit different. Of cause they will be LED lit but I want something else a bit different. I want the target lit one colour but the symbols on the targets a totally different colour both lit up by LEDs.

                I've got a fair idea how to do it, just need to source some stainless steel strip the width of the drop targets. Yes, steel in these targets but only 1mm thick.

                Also need to make up the PC boards that go on the back of the target bank. Looking forward to designing those because I can fit the reed switches exactly how I want rather than having to work with what Williams made. Board also can have LEDs fitted to it.

                Anyway, that's what I'm up to and what is planned.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Thought it high time to give this thread a bump. I stick by making a HomeBrew can't be rushed especially when I'm trying to do something so different, designing and making totally unseen before mechanisms.

                  What I'm looking at now is a bank of swing targets. Bally did something very similar called "Flyaway Targets" on only a handfull of machines. Speakeasy, Speakeasy 4 and Grand Slam seen here....



                  The Bally version works slightly different to what I have planned. There targets only score in one direction and physically latch up the target when hit. What I'm thinking is mine will score in both directions and not latch up. The ball strikes a target one way and it scores however, if the ball comes through the other way it scores a different value even though the same target was hit.

                  The main advantage I see with these hanging target banks is they don't alter the balls direction and take no speed off the ball unlike a standup target or normal drop target banks

                  How I want to use my version of this target bank on the playfield is not a direct flipper shot. You shot into a slingshot, facing the opposite way to a normally placed slingshot. This slingshot fires the ball approximately 90 degrees across the playfield, through the hanging targets, hits an equally angled sling shot that fires the ball 90 degrees back to the flippers.

                  Going through the hanging targets scores the value of the target you hit but still requires a shot on the same target in the reverse direction as well as the remaining targets. Shooting either sling shot at different locations on it's kicking rubber face determines which target of the 5 in the bank you score.

                  The idea is to create exactly what rebound shots do on a pool table but the sling shots are there to speed the ball up as well.

                  The hanging target bank is obviously mounted north/south to the playfield in the middle with the rebound sling shot mechs facing the flippers at a 45 degree angle.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    The Playfield Pitch Elevator Mechanism

                    Been holding this one close to my chest but time to get some feedback on it I think. This mech is designed to increase the playfield's pitch as the game proceeds. The front of the playfield stays at it's set position and the back of the playfield elevates in increments as a means to increase the game's difficulty.

                    This mech is my biggest attempt yet to "make pinball great again". While pinball is great, we need to acknowledge unless new, younger players are drawn into playing, pinball is living on borrowed time. Up until now, you have had the choice, make the machine's playfield pitch to suit the learner or make it to suit the player. I believe this mechanism solves both needs offering both a benign angle at the start of the game that is more suited to the learner and less experienced player but as the player advances through the game, the playfield's pitch increases increasing the ball speed and naturally, the games difficulty.

                    The other benefit this mechanism offers for all players, a machine that constantly changes it's shot angles because as the pitch angle changes, this effects all the shots a player makes very discretely but still quite noticeable. This changing of the playing conditions as the game proceeds should keep the "player" quality player interested as it will extend the time before a player gets bored as the shots vary.

                    I'm thinking to exploit this feature to the max, levels are introduced. You start at level 1, ( level 1 being the lowest pitch angle), and through playing the game you complete tasks that result in the elevator rising to the next level. These levels are displayed so what level you get to becomes a game within a game.

                    The level also adjusts other features on the game such as playfield scoring, extra balls and specials. I'm thinking at set levels, playfield scoring increases, extra balls become available as well as specials awards. This is to encourage players to elevate the angle and through faster scoring, get to higher scores and the other rewards.

                    There is however a tradeoff I think is quite just. I'm intending on having a post between the flippers. This post is not a full sized post like used on machines like Bally's 6 Million Dollar Man or the small mini post. It is the size in between so while protecting the flipper gap, it won't stop the ball from exiting but go a long way to aiding learner pinball players. As the pitch level increases, this post disappears and doesn't come back.

                    Another part of the tradeoff is as the level increases, More "Gobble Holes" are exposed. As I'm a believer outlanes are an unfair way of loosing a ball, I'm reintroducing the Gobble hole feature. A gobble hole is way to loose the ball through a bad placed shot. If you stupidly place a shot at a gobble hole when it is exposed, you loose your ball. The ball travels from the gobble hole directly to the outhole and your ball is done.
                    Your bad shooting just cost you the ball, not luck of the draw like an outlane does.

                    The center post disappearing and more gobble holes being exposed as the playfield level increases are both methods I'm using to increase the difficulty of the machine as you proceed. I'm hoping these approaches will enable me to make a machine suitable and appealing to the leaner as well as the "player".

                    Well there's a bit there to digest. I hope I have explained it well enough for all to understand.

                    Now I'm REAL interested in hearing your feedback on this combination of features I think will be beneficial to pinball as a whole.

                    Feedback is what I'm after. Negative or positive but please explain why you think that way rather than just stupid idea or great ideas. Variations to the designs can be made and I'm guided by your feedback.

                    D.O.T.F..............Defender Of The Faith.
                    Last edited by Autosteve; 12 October 2019, 02:16 PM.

                    Comment


                    • I think this idea is original and sounds great in theory. It the gobble holes are not always there I think it will work a treat!

                      Sent from my AGM A8 using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Autosteve View Post
                        Been holding this one close to my chest but time to get some feedback on it I think. This mech is designed to increase the playfield's pitch as the game proceeds. The front of the playfield stays at it's set position and the back of the playfield elevates in increments as a means to increase the game's difficulty.

                        This mech is my biggest attempt yet to "make pinball great again". While pinball is great, we need to acknowledge unless new, younger players are drawn into playing, pinball is living on borrowed time. Up until now, you have had the choice, make the machine's playfield pitch to suit the learner or make it to suit the player. I believe this mechanism solves both needs offering both a benign angle at the start of the game that is more suited to the learner and less experienced player but as the player advances through the game, the playfield's pitch increases increasing the ball speed and naturally, the games difficulty.

                        The other benefit this mechanism offers for all players, a machine that constantly changes it's shot angles because as the pitch angle changes, this effects all the shots a player makes very discretely but still quite noticeable. This changing of the playing conditions as the game proceeds should keep the "player" quality player interested as it will extend the time before a player gets bored as the shots vary.

                        I'm thinking to exploit this feature to the max, levels are introduced. You start at level 1, ( level 1 being the lowest pitch angle), and through playing the game you complete tasks that result in the elevator rising to the next level. These levels are displayed so what level you get to becomes a game within a game.

                        The level also adjusts other features on the game such as playfield scoring, extra balls and specials. I'm thinking at set levels, playfield scoring increases, extra balls become available as well as specials awards. This is to encourage players to elevate the angle and through faster scoring, get to higher scores and the other rewards.

                        There is however a tradeoff I think is quite just. I'm intending on having a post between the flippers. This post is not a full sized post like used on machines like Bally's 6 Million Dollar Man or the small mini post. It is the size in between so while protecting the flipper gap, it won't stop the ball from exiting but go a long way to aiding learner pinball players. As the pitch level increases, this post disappears and doesn't come back.

                        Another part of the tradeoff is as the level increases, More "Gobble Holes" are exposed. As I'm a believer outlanes are an unfair way of loosing a ball, I'm reintroducing the Gobble hole feature. A gobble hole is way to loose the ball through a bad placed shot. If you stupidly place a shot at a gobble hole when it is exposed, you loose your ball. The ball travels from the gobble hole directly to the outhole and your ball is done.
                        Your bad shooting just cost you the ball, not luck of the draw like an outlane does.

                        The center post disappearing and more gobble holes being exposed as the playfield level increases are both methods I'm using to increase the difficulty of the machine as you proceed. I'm hoping these approaches will enable me to make a machine suitable and appealing to the leaner as well as the "player".

                        Well there's a bit there to digest. I hope I have explained it well enough for all to understand.

                        Now I'm REAL interested in hearing your feedback on this combination of features I think will be beneficial to pinball as a whole.

                        Feedback is what I'm after. Negative or positive but please explain why you think that way rather than just stupid idea or great ideas. Variations to the designs can be made and I'm guided by your feedback.

                        D.O.T.F..............Defender Of The Faith.
                        yeah I like the idea of the increasing playfield angle and could be done fairly easily with a reasonable linear actuator and the back of playfield could have some bearings allowing the playfield to rise up between 2 guides or to stop bearing jamming have a mechanical scissor mech like a V laying on it's side where the top points of a V anchor to the corners of the base of the cabinet and then the outer corners of the playfield and then the tip of the V faces the front of the cabinet and then hook up the linear actuator to this and when activate the V wants to flatten out.

                        the gobble holes is also a cool idea and could have like a trap door that folds down to allow the ball to drop down and into a subway - coil to close and servo to release

                        Comment


                        • I would like to play a pinball game where you can link two machines or more via direct link or over the net.
                          If you can then complete a task and it opened more gobble holes that would be great. Like a Tetris Vs battle style vibe. Not sure of this type of thing has been done before in pinball?

                          Sent from my AGM A8 using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by kimbleseven View Post
                            I think this idea is original and sounds great in theory. It the gobble holes are not always there I think it will work a treat!

                            Sent from my AGM A8 using Tapatalk
                            I thought the lowest level should have the between the flipper post up and the gobble holes blocked making it ridiculously hard to loose the ball. This is to aid the first time player. As for when and how many gobble holes open up, that would be determined by the game times. I was thinking 10 levels of elevation in total but only the best of the best would ever get to level 10 over the game.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by swinks View Post
                              yeah I like the idea of the increasing playfield angle and could be done fairly easily with a reasonable linear actuator and the back of playfield could have some bearings allowing the playfield to rise up between 2 guides or to stop bearing jamming have a mechanical scissor mech like a V laying on it's side where the top points of a V anchor to the corners of the base of the cabinet and then the outer corners of the playfield and then the tip of the V faces the front of the cabinet and then hook up the linear actuator to this and when activate the V wants to flatten out.
                              Linear actuator mounted upright to the back wall of the cabinet was my thoughts. Steel ball at the top of the linear rod and a plate of metal with a cup shape pressed in it attached to the back of the playfield that sits over the ball. Front of playfield pivots on the existing hangers. No mechanical connection so it doesn't hinder working on the machine. (Simple and easy)
                              Could also be fitted to just about any existing pinball.

                              Originally posted by swinks View Post
                              the gobble holes is also a cool idea and could have like a trap door that folds down to allow the ball to drop down and into a subway -
                              My thoughts on the gobble holes are no holes that suddenly appear in the playfield and the roll of the ball can loose your ball but more holes that appear in lanes you can only go up from flipper shots so only your misplaced shots the gobble hole/ holes takes. Especially for these that like to trap the ball and aim there shots, every couple of levels is a "Boss" mode level. That whole "boss" level has the flippers only working once per flipper button push so no trapping till that level has been passed so any player is capable of the occasional misplaced shot no matter how good you are.

                              Originally posted by swinks View Post
                              coil to close and servo to release
                              Why not take advantage of the playfield raising as a means to raise and lower gobble hole blocks and posts?

                              No electronics or drives required to operate them that way. Spring and lever can do it.

                              Thanks for the feedback. All going to a good cause.

                              Comment


                              • Playfield Elevator Mechanism. Great Idea. How To Use It?.

                                It amazes me this stupidly simple idea has never been done before. Cost wise, about as much as a shaker motor but rather than just shake the machine which I guess is cool, the playfield elevator mechanism offers so much more.
                                Increasing the playfield's pitch during play adjusts the play, speed of the ball and the difficulty, any pinball.

                                My honest opinion, I would be very surprised if this idea isn't taken up by all the pinball companies using it in some form or another. Might take a bit of time allowing for Patents to be filed so they can claim it as there own before any opposition can do exactly that themselves but in time, I think the playfield elevator mechanism will be mainstream much like multiball is these days.

                                I may be slightly biased in this assumption but there are so many ways this can be used on pinball from...
                                *The Holy Grail of all pinball design, a way to make one machine appealing to all level players from learner to expert.

                                *A novel feature to keep the player interested as the play is constantly changing as the ball gets faster as the pitch of the playfield rises through the game.

                                *A feature driven mechanism that increases rewards as the player completes more tasks and the playfield becomes faster.

                                *A mechanism that allows a player to set the level he is comfortable with for his or her skill level at the start of the game. Basically, dial your own difficulty.

                                I think the feature driven mechanism is most suitable for my needs and I think it exploits the whole idea to the max. It gives an incentive to jack the level up to expose higher scoring but it starts every player at the lowest level and only the best players will ever get to the top level of elevation. (Remember, I don't need to stop the playfield pitch at any set level. 7-7.5 degrees could be moderate. Let's set max at say 10-12 degrees playfield pitch angle).

                                Like I said, the intention is only the best get to that level and that in itself is good bragging rights much like grand champion is and probably worthy of being able to put your name in for all to see.

                                Anyway, enough of the sales pitch.

                                I need to find a way to have the machine detect what level the playfield is at so it can return the angle back to what it was when that player played his ball prior during multplayer games.
                                1st ball has everyone starting at the lowest level but once the game starts in multiplayer games, every player may advance the pitch at different times during the game. How the hell can I get the mechanism to return to that pitch angle that player was up to when it is his ball again?.

                                There are multiple ways to detect how high the playfield is from a potenciometer to individual switches to name a few but what I need is how to store this information so the machine can call upon this and set the playfield level accordingly when that player plays his next ball?.

                                I have my own ideas how to achieve this but am too old and wise to think I know best and would love to hear some suggestions.

                                Comment

                                Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X