Non Commercial Pinball Projects.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head to Head Battle Pinny

Hi All

The time has come to start this thread. The project has been on the go for a little while and I now feel its time to start the thread on it.

Basically what I'm building is a Head to head Battle Pinball, a player at each end ( Red Vs Blue ) first to score five points against the other wins !

This is a totally built from scratch machine, and my first attempt at one. It shall be built using a combination of Picaxe Processor Chips with my own home made PCB's ( acid etched boards, what fun ! ) And I shall be using Arduino board to run displays ( I'm a noob with these, so only have limited programming knowledge.)

So Step 1 : Drink beer and ponder what to create, and what I have to do to get to the end ! Simplz

This process took a couple of weeks, luckily I had enough beer for this creative process. So first up I started with an AutoCad drawing for my design. I use AutoCad because I have used it in the past and I find it easy to design things in it . I do it all in 1:1 Scale. this way you can draw up items and plonk them around in the virtual world to see if it all fits.

So this is post 1 of many to come.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3950.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1886018Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3952.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1886019

Looking forward to where this heads! I've always thought the Alvin G soccer machine was pretty cool

Comment

It is time...Its been in the closet too long.
      fOr No rAIsOn

Comment

Originally posted by kress View Post
        It is time...Its been in the closet too long.
        Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

This concept isn't new, Williams made two called "Joust" & "Rat race" in 1983. Also an unknown company called Electrocoin made one called "Selem Cup" even earlier than that. Hope your projected works out?

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini2544 View Post
            This concept isn't new, Williams made two called "Joust" & "Rat race" in 1983. Also an unknown company called Electrocoin made one called "Selem Cup" even earlier than that. Hope your projected works out?
            Yes , its definitely not a new concept, and hopefully the finished pinny will be fun to play.....well thats the plan anyway......

Comment

Ok, now I have a rough plan on AutoCad, time to make a prototype playfield. So I printed out the playfield layout on paper in 1:1 scale. Traced out the cut outs and drill holes onto the 14mm plywood. Then drilled and cut everything out.
              Then started screwing on all the second hand parts I had, flippers, Pop Bumpers,Sling Shots. Built the make shift power supply out of 24vdc supply, 5vdc supply and a 70vdc supply made using a toroidal transformer from Jaycar and a left over bridge rectifier board I have off a lift ( I'm a lift mechanic by trade ). Now the thing that changes the game play on this is the use of magnets under the playfield. each end has 2 magnets, one used by the attacking player, and one used for the defending player. this pulls the ball over to a flipper to deflect it off going down the guts ! I set the playfield angles at 6 degrees, just a guess at this stage as I could not be sure if this would launch the ball at the centre of the playfield ? The pop bumper has a Tri Colour LED in it that changes colour each time the pop bumper is hit ( this is done via a picaxe chip ), more to come soonish

Name:	Playfield.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1810346Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3444.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1810347

Comment

This is testing the pinny to see if the parts are in good spots and will work OK. Some of the layout was moved from the original AutoCad Layout, as the real world reactions of the ball would not hit the targets correctly. You will see the ball divert at one stage, this is off the "Attack" magnet located under the playfield. The pinny will have 2 magnets at each end "Attack and Defence" Attack can hold the ball and drop it down the centre of the flippers. The defend magnet can pull the ball to the side and drop it onto the flipper.

https://youtu.be/UfAMPzjQKF4

- - - Updated - - -

This is the 2 displays types I shall be running. One shall do the players score 1 to 5. the game will be based first to 5 hits on the other player wins. The second display type will show what game modes are active as well as other messages. I have used a Arduino Uno board and 8X8 Dot matrix displays run off a MAX7219 Chip. All these can be bought of Fleabay nice and cheap. I got the base code off the internet forums, then we altered it a bit to get what I wanted. Big thanks to my C+ programming helper Toby h ( he works for beer )
                https://youtu.be/VE3nWcMvQuo
                https://youtu.be/Vw380K7Ldww

Comment

Battle Pinny ,How to pivot a playfield ?
                  One problem on the battle pinny, is how to access the playfield underside to work on it . So using AutoCad I can create my parts ( purple and orange are the tilt hinge arrangement ). I can then pick a pivot point to rotate the playfield on, then I can rotate the playfield to see if it hits anything ! This is what is shown in the video ( sorry for the quality, bloody iPhone ) I have also attached a picture showing the playfield glass mount detail and the LED strip lighting channel that runs the length of the playfield.
                  The one thing I'm learning is that there is a lot of detail and parts to create to make this machine from scratch. The other issue that I'm working through is the location of the playfield in relation to the flipper buttons and switches. On a normal pinny, these are under the apron plate, so when you lift the playfield you do not hit them. On the Battle Pinny they are above the apron !!!!! That's another reason why the playfield is going to pivot down from them. Next problem is the real world set up of the ends of the pinny, the layout and the view of the flipper buttons and the apron plate when looking down on them. I'm not happy with my AutoCad design, and will do a real world mock up to see if it actually works or looks crap !!!! anyway more update to come no doubt !

https://youtu.be/0R5_DwYUHsoClick image for larger version

Name:	Playfield1.jpg
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1810467Click image for larger version

Name:	Playfield3.jpg
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	1810468Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass Detail.jpg
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1810469

Comment

It's a bit hard to follow, but any chance of pivoting the other way - ie lift the head end and hinge / pivot closer to the flipper buttons? Because you need access to both ends to be able to play the middle section should always be in a fairly open spot. Just a thought and no doubt this would / may introduce other issues, but might be an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_Power View Post
                      It's a bit hard to follow, but any chance of pivoting the other way - ie lift the head end and hinge / pivot closer to the flipper buttons? Because you need access to both ends to be able to play the middle section should always be in a fairly open spot. Just a thought and no doubt this would / may introduce other issues, but might be an idea.
                      That's the good thing about AutoCad, It allows me to move the hinge position and try these things. So will give it a try and see what happens. Also sorry about the video, it is a bit crappy

Comment

Abandon the standard mounting of the apron.Hinge it out of the way... Over the front of the coin door still attached to the box not the playfield.
                        Or hinge the apron below the flippers at playfield level to create a rest for the lifted playfield.

Name:	DSC_0162.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1810505
                        ( drawn in crapCAD)
                        Last edited by kress; 3 December 2015, 04:36 AM.
                        fOr No rAIsOn

Comment

Very cool!

There was a guy on pinside doing a 4 player version (cant find the link though).

He had some discussion on how they butted up against each other and make have mentioned how he was planning on doing the pivot.

I'll see if I can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by kress View Post
                            Abandon the standard mounting of the apron.Hinge it out of the way... Over the front of the coin door still attached to the box not the playfield.
                            Or hinge the apron below the flippers at playfield level to create a rest for the lifted playfield.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85926[/ATTACH]
                            ( drawn in crapCAD)
                            Nice idea Kressy, but part of the problem is that the playfield at the apron end sits about 100mm below the playfield glass !!! But I'm building a real world mock up this weekend so i can nut it all out, or due to the hot weather that's coming I might just drink cold beer instead

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Koops View Post
                            Very cool!

There was a guy on pinside doing a 4 player version (cant find the link though).

He had some discussion on how they butted up against each other and make have mentioned how he was planning on doing the pivot.

I'll see if I can find it.

Yeah see if you can track it down, would be interested o what they did. The playfelds will pivot up at the ends from the centre ,so both ends will open up. That also helps if I put the display tower thingy in the centre.

Comment

Cool project, apart from losing the flat surface to rest your beer on why not replace the single piece of playfield glass with two pieces that join in the middle. That way the glass profile can better match the playfield angle like in traditional Pinball. Of course reflection angles might be a big issue if the room is brighter than the playfield. The glass could meet in the middle with a plastic joiner. You might get away with traditional lock down bars this way too.
                              Just a thought.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X