Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gyrus begina

OK, posting a pic of my one off pinball, Gyruss. I'm about to start cutting the holes to fix all the light gfx in the playfield.

I've sort of figured out all the rules. Going to play similar to the video games. Need to knock down targets to warp.

To do on the lower playfield.

Finish guides in upper left.

Cut all lights and holes

Arrange playfield

Ramp

Ball kicker

I need to start on the top playfield after I get this one right :)

Looking good. When you warp does will anything change ie lights colour? Is the lock to the lower right the warp lock (guessing) once you have knocked down the targets. Looking forward to the progress :cool:

I'm having 2nd thoughts about the 2nd playfield. Have to wait and see on that bit for now. Worse case I will make a wire chute to take the ball back to one of the lanes

Might use the ramp as a warp? or a ran around the outside loop.

I want to get the playfield funtioning first to finialise a few rules. Need to know how hard it will be to get certian shots first.

I will get the flippers and bumpers running first so there is some reation to it. Scoring is only keeping track of what you hit anyway :D

Should get a good feel of it then but at the moment I am going on gut instinct on the skill shots on whatever else.

I would like to get a 2nd playfield in there tho.

I was thinking of using the targets as ships hit.40 ships one wave. Each wave is one warp, 2 warps between planets.

As for the multi ball, challange stage :) Get to a planet, multi lights, get multi. And get all 40 targets without losing a ball and get the jackpot.

Top gates would be the multiplier. I will have a few rollovers as well.

No, I would like to integrate a wide panel lcd as the headboard and run a pc otherwise it will be a standard pc with some additional hardware

The guys at pinmame have already go the hardware for the lights and other outputs.

Inputs thru one the the key matrix chips available

Just need to work out the software side.

hey nice theme, which lends itself well for pinball implementation.

looking forward to progress, the pinmamehw boards are NLA, but im sure youll find a substitute.

does that mean youre writing your rules within the pinmame system or your own home brew?

a couple of advancing lamps and corresponding targets would work well for "attacking waves" with the warp up the ramp (can hear the sound effect now!)

even bonus rounds of squentially lit targets or a sequence to complete would also keep the theme authentic. i was looking at a galaga or gauntlet theme before coconut island. 2 ball multi would be the double shot power up ! (available at the start of each "wave")

make it start at pluto and go to the sun!

do you have a seperate website to document progress?

most interested.

regards

Out of all of it, writing the rules would be the hardest. So many things you can do.

I was thinking of 1 hit of each target is a hit of a ship. I was thinking of having a hit counter down the bottom. 4 segments that light for each wave. 1 wave would be the 10 targets. (2 x 4 and a dual). After all 4 segments are lite, the warp is activated (Ramp shot?).

Multi ball will light after the first 10 targets are hit. Then you have to do a double around the loop or complete the ramp to activate the ball trap for multiball. Might have this timed too.

Trying to find all my small files and woodwork tools :( Not easy doing the cutouts for the lights. WOuld be nice to have a CNC router on hand :D

This is a learning curve at the moment. I have plans for another one. So many things are affected by one change.

As for a web site? No time for that stuff :) It can stay here at the moment.

Trying to find all my small files and woodwork tools :( Not easy doing the cutouts for the lights. WOuld be nice to have a CNC router on hand :D

funny, im playing with 3 steppers right now! (and its BIG)

Wow, this thing is starting to take a life on of it's own. Becoming organic.

I have mocked up the plastics layout to get a better idea of how crowded it might be before I finish the light layout.

I have scrubbed the idea for an upper playfield on this one. I'll save that for the next one :D

As it is, the upper is a separate playfield. Need to get the flipper hit right to go into the multiplier rollovers

Or you can go for the loop shot. Might make it a bonus that doubles up to a point. 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 10k ?

I'm going to keep the scoring realistic too . Hate these machines with these 16 million point shots. Same scoring, just drop the last 3 -5 digits :)

I am going to make a wire ramp the will aim the ball into the left drain area.

I have cut the bumper holes. I need to enlarge them a little yet.

Oh, and has anyone got a bumper mounting plate the don't need ?? Saves me making one :D

One thing from the video game that I will put in is the star field. I intend to have 3 or more shades of blue 3mm leds. Might even tint them. I will have the earth in the centre of the playfield with the leds radiating out in a similar pattern to the vid. The playfield is going to be mostly black with the inserts giving most of the gfx. I might have a few more yet after the star field is done. I intend to mount the leds into the plastics as well to continue the path as fully as possible. I was thinking of going circular at first but I might work out the perspective to give a better effect. This will run independent of the rest so will be on from power up as in the vid

I'm not 100% sure on which way I want to go. A new MPU and Driver pcb is around $350 landed here. All the interfaces are already there. And there is the display drivers. I intend to try and remake led style displays. Should be around the $60 mark per display. No high voltage.

And yes, I have heard about NPC. Weighing up pros and cons on all systems.

Hopefully I can reprogram the sound side.

As for the title tune, I was thinking of using something i saw in pop science.

A home brew mp3 doorbell ringer. Start the music after the ball has ejected and end when it goes into the gutter.

All of the other sound effects lend themselves to the game quite readily.

Folded the ramp entry today as well. Looks nice in BA stainless. Need to get some stainless wire to make the wire form now.

Oh, and has anyone got a bumper mounting plate the don't need ?? Saves me making one :D

Might have one of these.. You are referring to the metal plate which the bumper body is screwed into ? There is also two plastic collars, two brass or copper washers and the 2 screws...

I'm sure I have the base....

OK, finished all cutout apart from the target ones. If I can source some target banks, I'll use them otherwise I will use fixed targets.

I have also done the starfield. Need to order a few led's now :D

Now to start sanding and cleaning up the insert areas.