X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brad View Post
    So option 1 here?

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachm...hmentid=155263

If so, I'm getting readings on known good reels and I tested on 1 bad reel. The readings aren't static though and seem to move although I only have the needle type probe points. Really need those clip ones I reckon.

Cheers,

Brad
    yes option 1 for 24V AC reading. Highly recommend making up a pair of long leads with alligator clips on each end. Clip one end to each meter probe and the other end to whatever measurement points you are checking in your EM pinball. I find the long leads are perfect. Need to be long enough to reach from inside backbox to rear of coin door. Much easier than just using meter probes.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Comment

• Exactly what I was thinking. You'd think in all the "junk" I have I'd have some alligator clips but nope. I'm about to head out so going to pick some up!

Thanks for your help as always

Cheers,

Brad
      My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

• Sounds like you have a break in the 24V wiring on at least one of these non working coils. If you set your meter to the next setting right (or anticlockwise) of option 3 then your meter will beep when you have continuity. You can check you have the right setting by touching the 2 probes together. Will be much easier to explain if you give me a call
        I suggest you need to check for continuity on the 24V wire.
        Cheers
        Dave

Comment

• Not unusual to get readings all over the place when using probes on old solder joints. Oxidization is the reason. Alligator clip on the one of the leads is ideal, (it saves you having to hold it), but on the other end I prefer a needle heatshrinked to the original probe. The needle digs through the skin of oxidization on the solder joints with minimal effort. To heatshrink the needle in place, put a needle longer than the probe against the probe and position the blunt end of the needle up to the plastic. This is so the needle doesn't slide and heatshrink it in place.
          The heatshrink is to hold the needle against the probe and when you put pressure on the needle, the plastic on the probe stops it from sliding.

Right now you are doing an EM but you may want to do this when probing IC legs on chips or traces on PC boards. It makes life easy knowing the probe won't slip shorting two IC legs together.

Comment

• Okay I've been out most of the day but I did pick up some supplies and made some extension wires with alligator clips and just did a quick test

Ground connected to bulb socket

Positive connected to coil lug. Note I tried both lugs with the same result

Meter reading on every reel I tried both working and non-working

If I switch the meter to DC and measure a new AAA battery I get 1.6 volts so not sure the meter is the problem

Cheers,

Brad
            My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Okay I've been out most of the day but I did pick up some supplies and made some extension wires with alligator clips and just did a quick test

Ground connected to bulb socket

https://harmoniseit.com/pinballresto...019_161259.jpg

Positive connected to coil lug. Note I tried both lugs with the same result

https://harmoniseit.com/pinballresto...019_161324.jpg

Meter reading on every reel I tried both working and non-working

https://harmoniseit.com/pinballresto...019_161336.jpg

If I switch the meter to DC and measure a new AAA battery I get 1.6 volts so not sure the meter is the problem

Cheers,

Brad
              Hi Brad.. suggest use a known good earth for black probe of your meter such as Transformer earth lug now that you have made up long leads.

Cheers
              Dave

Comment

• Also it may sound stupid but are you testing 24V AC with game powered on?

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                Working...
                X