Gotlieb 1962 Cover Girl Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotlieb 1962 Cover Girl Restore

As the title states but more of a tidy up than a full on restore looking over all of these restoration threads has really motivated me to get off my ass and do something with this old girl, I was extremely lucky to pick up this machine in very good condition from the @Illawarra steelers. So it makes it for a real easy restore the only things that I can really pick on was the annoying lights flickering which was mainly due to the ancient original sockets so best thing to do was replace about 20 of them they were in to poor of a condition to salvage and just so unreliable while playing a game.
    The next thing that needed attention was the 50points bonus between the flippers that wasn't working but that was an easy fix again just dodgy light socket and loose wire so again replaced it with a new modified socket and it works beautifully now and very reliable.

And the other thing that bothered me was the match feature function wasn't working, now this one had me stumped I just couldn't find the solution to this one no matter what I tried, so ended up getting a set of schematics from Marcos and found out there was no power getting up to it not sure if there is a faulty or broken wire. But following the schematics I found where the power was supplied from and put a new wire into the circuit so that it gets power again and presto match feature working again not sure if its the right way to solve the problem but hell it works pretty good now I also had to replace all of the light sockets for the match feature numbers in the backboard as well because they were just to unreliable.

Apart from the issues listed above the rest of the machine works great so the next step is the make over, I have been going over the old resto threads and have learnt so much just from what I have read especially from some of the restoration threads done by Millsy 56, and also the threads of others, and so the tracing the old cabinet art work begins this will be a long drawn out process so be patient for updates that is if anyone is interested in the project
    Pretty simple pattern so it shouldn't be to difficult I just have to do a bit more thread reading and studying up on techniques with the paint choices and application processes, I have decided to follow Millsy's lead and try the paint roller method.
    Putting out the feelers for my next early Gotlieb project

I have a used set of playfield plastics if ya need them. All good condition . You can have them . Just let me know , Mark.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Mark but when I purchased the machine some of the resto work had already been started which included the fitting of new set of repo plastics but having said that a spare set wouldn't go astray.
      Originally posted by v200juke View Post
      I have a used set of playfield plastics if ya need them. All good condition . You can have them . Just let me know , Mark.

Comment

That Coca Cola mannequin is a fukkin ripper, would love one of those!

- - - Updated - - -

Coca Cola swimsuit?

Comment

does anyone know where to source the 32 inch new legs to suit these Gotlieb machines?

Comment

Will come up nicely - let me know if you need any help on the repaint.
            http://pinballaustralia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Coca Cola swimsuit?
              That's no mannequin, its a FEMBOT !

Comment

prime the crap out of it and spray the art back on, not that hard todo if you prep it right it will be better than paint rolling it and will look way way nicer.
                that job would be easy peezy

buy a $30 gun from supercheap.

sand it back, fill the scratches, pump a bucket load of high build 1K on it. let it sit over night, block it back flat with 400grit
                pump some more primer on it let it sit for a week so the primer will have time to sink back.

wet rub with a block again with 400grit, let it sit over night, Then put the base white down, sit for 48hours then tape up and apply the color stripes.
                hit with a polish and done.

Comment

Originally posted by puss1966 View Post
                  does anyone know where to source the 32 inch new legs to suit these Gotlieb machines?
                  oh i miss her..once she has a new cab paint she will look so sweet, they were my plans but something had to give.

doing the same thing at the same time with my 1961 oklahoma..good to see a few em's being restored all at the same time..

with the legs, they are 31" and the only place you will get them is pinball resource and even though they are us$13 each new they cost a bomb to get them here.
                  looking to buy gottlieb electro mechanical pinball machines from any era

Comment

The missus actually wanted it so I bought it for her, but I think I like her more now I am a coke collector as well so I bought her the coke girl waitress outfit and she looks pretty hot in it actually everyone who sees her spins out and loves her.
                    Originally posted by Rich View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Coca Cola swimsuit?

Comment

Just a quick update because of work i really havn't had much time to get out and work on her, so she is all stripped down now and boy do i have a new sense of respect to you guy's that do this on a regular basis what a pain in the ass it is pulling one of these things down, however i do want to do the job properly so she is stripped down as far as it can go.
                      Ok here goes so starting with the head box using some normal non greasy baking paper from the kitchen time to re-trace the original artwork to keep aside for later on, but as you can see from the first picture it looks like someone in the past has repainted the green section around where the backglass sits however they diddn't redo the white tear-drops on either side.

So searched the net for some photo's to use as a reference to re-create them on the sides again it just doesn't look the same without them.

Used the photo to compare roughly where about's the teardrops sit in relation to the backglass and where they sit in relation to the pic and then using anything with a circular shape to get roughly the right sizes drew in the new inserts that will eventually be made into the stencils for use after the base coat of white is done.

Diddn't come up to bad it think

Side cabinet artwork is next that was very straight
                      forward nice easy to copy all straight edges.

Next update will be of the sanding and filling and undercoat learning heaps along the way and looking at all the other threads as i am going is really motivating me along so thanks guy's and keep it up.

Comment

looking good rob

the only thing i would add..take the backglass out and store it somewhere safe
                        looking to buy gottlieb electro mechanical pinball machines from any era

Comment

Already ahead of you Tony headbox has been completely gutted ready for sanding, and the glass has been put safely aside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lovely looking pin, great new addition!
                            You say some work had been done.....the lockdown bar? the ends are in terrific condition, nice!

Comment

Hi all just a really small update really diddn't get a whole lot done mainly just worked on the headbox stripped her right back and sanded her right back with the orbital sander, its only when you get all the paint off these things that you can really see how rough these these things were put together in the day a lot of stapling was done at the time.
                              Even so it ended up being in fairly good condition considering its age.

So paint all off and just a few minor repairs with some wood glue and nails and then just filling up everything else up with filler, i ended up using wood mate from Bunnings as the filler and once dry it sanded up really well, it was just about every corner that needed building up and sanding back but i suppose after about 50 years of putting together and pulling apart has got to take its toll and its usually the corners that get knocked around the most.

Also the deep gouges you cant sand out that these things all seem to have i ended up using a plasterboard top coat product that spreads on really well sets quite hard and sands back so smooth, when the undercoat goes on you wont be able to see a thing.

With this rebuild i also want to replace where i can with new or refinish the chrome/stainless metal work the side rails have all been removed and i have put in an order with [MENTION=893]JPD[/MENTION] for a complete new set which will really make her pop after the new paint job also making up an order for the Pinball resource centre for a few things for this machine and the King Pin which will include new 31 inch legs for both.
                              There is one or i should say two pieces of metal work that i cant seem to find any part numbers for thats if anyone makes them, its the two pieces that are just under where the headbox sits where the glass slides into.

If i cant find any new replacements what does anyone recomend to do to refinish these metal parts are they chrome/nickel finish or are they just stainless ? they need something done to them as they look pretty crappy at the moment and will really stand out in a bad way after everything else is refinished .

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X