Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New addition .. Old Chicago

Picked this up from Daniel (Borgattard) .

Won't be playing it till

1) Replace power cord

2) Strip, clean and wax the playfield

3) Give her a full mechanical overhaul.

Playfield has wear around the upper post above the flippers and a bit of planking, otherwise pretty good.

Backglass condition is one of the best I've seen.

Cab is pretty faded , especially front and one side .

Will post some more pics when I make some progress on the tidyup.

bg.thumb.jpg.df32fb1c298fb0784596d6cc643bbdda.jpg

pf.thumb.jpg.0afc23fb300eb1943167a9634bc31cfe.jpg

machine.thumb.jpg.4e08b6a1d90f38c91b972a91191b295a.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty much single-eyed gottlieb when it comes to EMs, but this pin really does it for me. Am sure it will look sweet for ya.

:)

+1. The whole John Dillinger gangster theme and the Jumping Jack lower playfield does it for me. :cool:

+1. The whole John Dillinger gangster theme and the Jumping Jack lower playfield does it for me. :cool:

Yeah .. when i saw this for sale I couldn't resist it . Its a great looking game and bonus that the BG is in excellent shape.

Made a start yesterday afternoon on the tidy up.

Replaced the original power cord. Started stripping the playfield . Playfield is dirty which is a good reason not to play this game yet. Also looks like pretty much every plunger has been lubricated :( so will be stripping and cleaning all mechanicals (which I planned to do anyway). By doing a full mechanical overhaul you know the exact condition of your game.

Here's a couple of pics of where I'm up to so far . The wear above the flippers is much more evident now in the 1st pic.

Hoping to remove most of the inground dirt with careful use of ME and Eucalyptus oil . Will be attempting to touch up the wear areas . Fortunately all inserts are pretty level so won't have to remove/reseat those.

Flippers are original so a new flipper kit will be installed (I do this with every game I buy now) and all bumper skirts need replacing .

I will be trying to spend no more than $100 on replacement parts (fingers crossed)

top_bumper_dirt.thumb.jpg.66b2d9c1ef8b58c52b4a83bf4a653aad.jpg

pf_almoststripped.thumb.jpg.657c8f6c939ca9bc4b38286162faa2e9.jpg

saucer_wear.thumb.jpg.3341554ba688d27572593fae8e0cd619.jpg

Good start :)

Usually the collect bonus text below the centre kick out is hammered on these. Oh, and be sure to get rid of those Gottlieb flipper batts :cool:

Yeah Rod, the Gottlieb bats will be replaced , one is cracked anyway.

Very nice Dave,

This game doesn't turn up for sale often and you did well on the price.

So what are yor plans from here? Do you have the nerve to respray this? ;) Noticed you mentioned not wanting to sink much more cash into this but for around $100 extra dollars you could really make this shine. Repro Pinball Rescue decals for both the card tray and spinner, repro bumper caps (only $5 each!), new posts and possibly new targets - go on I dare you :)

Gday Tony .

Yes, I think its a good one to add to my small collection .

Thinking about redoing the cabinet , but will probably play it for a while first.

Unfortunately Pinball Rescue don't have the correct Apron decal for this title, but luckily the apron is in good condition ( 9/10) . Will grab the spinner decals when they become available.

Already putting together a parts list .. think I will be blowing my $100 budget a bit :lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good on you for going for the repaint. You can see how good the original colouring looks under the coin door surrounds and legs, so it'll be worth it.

Keep the pics coming, particularly during the repaint progress. I'm building up courage (or stupidity) to have a go at one!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm getting there with the repaint , just have the purple left to go on and a couple of mistakes to touch up.

Unfortunately I lost a bit of paint on the RHS when removing the contact so am now using Franklins contact (a bit less sticky)

Do you think I should leave the neck purple or paint it black like the factory job ?

Almost there now . Decided to leave the neck Maroon .. 2/3 of those who replied agree :)

Got a few touchups to do and unfortunately , despite sealing the edges 1st I still managed to get a bit of bleed with the Maroon (eg on the front LHS). Then need to spray the whole thing with some gloss clear.

I didn't notice a mistake with the pattern till right at the end .. can anyone spot it ?

Its not a perfect job but heaps better than the original faded cab. :D

I think all the hours of work (at least 24 hrs) was worth it.

Can't wait to get it all back together again and see how it looks (let alone plays )

cabrhsrepaint.thumb.jpg.cfacc46d4db44285410e37a2323c3d73.jpg

cabfrontrepaint.thumb.jpg.a60bb87fcb2b9b265a34a9c6bcadf089.jpg

cablhsrepaint.thumb.jpg.2b757bd2892646e7ca726a0cf7ecc538.jpg