1976 Gottlieb Target Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Gottlieb Target Alpha

Here's my new project. Its a 1976 Gottlieb Target Alpha.

I wheeled this out of the shed a yesterday and started on it last night. Here's some initial pics:

The cab is in good condition with nothing too major in the way of scratches. The backglass (not shown) is a 9.5.

The main glass has broken at some stage (knowing what I know now that is a very good thing but more on that later..)

The playfield is filthy but I think that under all the dirt that its in good condition..

The coin door looks crappy but under the dirt it once again is nice and straight and there is no visible rust. I am thinking it will clean up really well..

As per most of my project EM's the full documentation is tucked in an envelope inside the machine including mint unused score cards and price tickets.

I had to put a pic in of the inside coin door. I've never seen one this clean and rust free. nice.

score motor looks ok and moves around ok when pushed. have already noticed a contact point missing..

these gottliebs always have wear under the pop bumper mylars, this one didn't!

here's one wipe of the playfield with a sponge and quick spray of simply green. I have to admit to getting very excited when I saw how nice that playfield is underneath! I think this one if going to be a bit special

A Stu 10 out of 10 nice one mate. look forward to seeing it going.

Comment

Looks like being a pearler once cleaned-up Stu. Its also one of the best tables ever made, same lay-out as El Dorado, and Solar City. Shooters heaven really.
      I noticed the BG when I was there, and it looks good as well.

Comment

Looks in exceptional condition , and i'll say will probably be hard to part with once you've finished it

Comment

Originally posted by Skybeaux View Post
          Looks in exceptional condition , and i'll say will probably be hard to part with once you've finished it
          yeah ken. you hit it in one. i have 'loosely' promised this one to a member here and now I have to figure out how to get out of that! maybe i can loan it to him and he can have it until he gets sick of it....

Comment

Thats looking really nice Stu..!

But you've got to give in at some stage, you can't keep them all.. Like kids, they all leave home sooner or later.. Sad to see them go, but happy when they do. As long as they are in good hands and have an ultimate homing device built in..

Comment

As I stare into my "magic chrome-plated pinball of future telling" I can see Woka with this ding ding ding in his gamesroom.

Comment

What else can you foretell for me Greg..? Lotto win, Blonde bobsy twins knocking on my door sometime soon..?

..?

Comment

Originally posted by WOKA View Post
                  What else can you foretell for me Greg..? Lotto win, Blonde bobsy twins knocking on my door sometime soon..?

..?
                  The first reading was free Dylan, and for another it will cost a 1.3kilo bag of red frogs.

Comment

You cheap bastard. Moon dip not good enough..?

'Back on track'

Comment

Originally posted by WOKA View Post
                      Thats looking really nice Stu..!

But you've got to give in at some stage, you can't keep them all.. Like kids, they all leave home sooner or later.. Sad to see them go, but happy when they do. As long as they are in good hands and have an ultimate homing device built in..
                      yes. i know what you say is correct and wise but maybe the resto will take a bit longer than i first estimated...

having said that i finished the head tonight, 4 players (16 score reels) are a massive PITA. I have ordered all new targets and bumper caps today as well. gonna go the whole hog on this one!

post some more pics tomorra

Comment

Ring-a-ding ding the EM king, another beauty Stu . How good is that inside the coin door, mint . Go the lions

Comment

Well the first problem was a bit different. I am starting to think that maybe there was a reason that the glass was broken. The strategy on restoring these machines is to break them down into 3 bits. 1. The head (which contains the score reels, player/ball scoring stepper and credit stepper. 2. The playfield which on these machines contains the bonus unit stepper, flippers, pop bumper and targets as the main mechs and 3. The guts – which contains the transformer, score motor, player/coin stepper and most of the relays.

So the first thing to do is remove the playfield. Open the coin door, open the lock down bar lock, remove lockdown bar and pull the playfield out. Only problem is that the lockdown bar won’t budge, the slide mechanism is sliding but its not releasing the bar. Shit. Problem is you can’t get at the slide mech until the playfield is out of the way! Much scratching of head – you could take a pry bar to it but would do major damage in the process.

I decided to try and remove the playfield with the lockdown bar in place. I wasn’t sure this was possible but thought it was worth a try. I removed the upper playfield glass holder assembly.

I then tried to get the playfield out by pulling it up over the head. I soon discovered the playfield has locking clips that attach to the lockdown slide mech – the good news is that by going through the coin door you can remove the screws that hold these in place if you can rotate your head 180 degrees, tricky but possible.

This allowed me to pull the playfield out ‘backwards’. It left the slide mech exposed and 8 screws and 1 plunger removal later I had the mech removed from the cabinet.

You can see the problem above, somebody has tried to force the slide mech bending a critical piece of metal to the point where the arm no longer can move the slide mech. It shouldn’t be too hard to fix – case of freeing up the mech with some lube and bending the metal back – I hope the bending does not end up weakening it too much, worst case it’ll need replacement or ‘engineering’ but I’m confident it will work fine when bent back into place. A lot of detail but hopefully helpful to anyone that has a similar issue.

Comment

Ah, now I know why you were happy that the glass was smashed Stu.

Comment

great machine drop target heaven

Originally posted by stuba View Post
                              Here's my new project. Its a 1976 Gottlieb Target Alpha.

I wheeled this out of the shed a yesterday and started on it last night. Here's some initial pics:

The cab is in good condition with nothing too major in the way of scratches. The backglass (not shown) is a 9.5.

The main glass has broken at some stage (knowing what I know now that is a very good thing but more on that later..)

The playfield is filthy but I think that under all the dirt that its in good condition..

The coin door looks crappy but under the dirt it once again is nice and straight and there is no visible rust. I am thinking it will clean up really well..

As per most of my project EM's the full documentation is tucked in an envelope inside the machine including mint unused score cards and price tickets.

I had to put a pic in of the inside coin door. I've never seen one this clean and rust free. nice.

score motor looks ok and moves around ok when pushed. have already noticed a contact point missing..

these gottliebs always have wear under the pop bumper mylars, this one didn't!

here's one wipe of the playfield with a sponge and quick spray of simply green. I have to admit to getting very excited when I saw how nice that playfield is underneath! I think this one if going to be a bit special
                              I have a restored solar city and know this machine backwards , man I love gottlieb ems if you need any help just ask

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X