Chicago Coin Riviera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Coin Riviera

Well, I got an EM pinball today from a fellow AA member. It's a 1973 Riviera made by Chicago Coin. There's lots of work to do on it. I've put some before pictures in my gallery.

I've spent a couple of hours on it tonight, removing the playfield, relay board, chimes, front door and everything electrical from the base. I've also removed the plastics for cleaning.

The Masonite floor is damaged towards the front so I'll see if I can replace that first. There's some other box wood damage, but that should be fairly easily repaired.

I haven't even looked closely at the backbox yet. I'm sure it will need plenty of TLC but that will have to wait until I get the chassis sorted out.

I don't have a specific time frame in mind to finish this project but I'm sure it will scrub up ok.
    Last edited by David_AVD; 31st July 2009, 12:47 PM.
    "Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!"

BG is nice Dave. Goodluck with the resto.

Comment

Good one David! Bit of work there and a four player too.
      Best to wipe pelican poo off first
      EM score motors wanted: nonworking or working
      Sega Sub Roc 3D periscope mech. needed except motors.
      Wanted, Mitsubishi 60" RP (vs 6041) complete TV gun assembly. (R Proj TV/monitors and parts taken away).
      Take Five pinball machine PCB wanted.

Comment

Cool David, that will keep you busy.

Love the backglass!

the old wood filler in the saucer trick eh? what the hell!

Cheers
        Jacob

Comment

wheres the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
            wheres the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            In the gallery doofus!
            "Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!"

Comment

Just a little bit of work to do Should be fun

Might have to put an EM on the to get list (when I finish the ones I have )
              "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Comment

good one david

looking forward to seeing this one come back to life

chicago coin best known for their EM gun games and bowlers but produced plenty of pinballs as well. they went bust in 1977 selling their remaining assets to Stern but Stern electronics (not stern pinball). Stern electronics was wound up in 1984.
                Parts would be tough for this one if you didn't know somebody with lots of CC parts

will follow with interest. also note that Travis and Dylan are EM Techs now too so plenty of help around as well

Comment

I've cleaned all of the relay and stepper contacts on the "base board". There's a couple of broken metal wipers on the "Bonus Score" stepper, but I'm hoping Stuba may have something in his stash I can use to repair that. If not, I reckon I could solder a new piece from a spare leaf switch onto the broken arm with acceptable results.

To clean the relay contacts (and stepper wipers), I used strips cut from a ScotchBrite type pad. I think the key here is not to go to in too hard and risk damaging the contact plating. You can scrub the copper PCB tracks on the steppers until they're bright without too much fear of damage. Just don't bend the contacts too far from their normal position, otherwise they may lose their tension.

I've only taken a quick look at the head box so far and given it a bit of a clean out. Everything appears intact, but I imagine that the contacts will all need cleaning. The various mechanisms will most likely need cleaning and lubricating.

This machine came with original manual and diagrams as well as various score and instruction cards. The instruction card was in a bad way and fell apart when I removed it from the apron. I scanned all cards, sent them to Peter (Inkochinto) and he's already emailed me the reproductions. How good is that!

Since the manual is in near perfect condition and the IPDB doesn't seem to have a copy, I'll have a go at scanning it in due course. Scanning the schematic won't be easy due to the sheet size however.

Anyway, I'll update this thread as I go and upload more pictures to the gallery.

Comment

Any progress is good progress, keep the updates coming David. Peter is on the ball thats for sure.
                    "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Comment

Originally posted by David_AVD View Post
                      , but I'm hoping Stuba may have something in his stash I can use to repair that.
                      no probs, plenty of spare wipers, the trick is getting the length and tension right. I'm sure we can find something though.

This machine came with original manual and diagrams as well as various score and instruction cards. The instruction card was in a bad way and fell apart when I removed it from the apron. I scanned all cards, sent them to Peter (Inkochinto) and he's already emailed me the reproductions. How good is that!

Since the manual is in near perfect condition and the IPDB doesn't seem to have a copy, I'll have a go at scanning it in due course. Scanning the schematic won't be easy due to the sheet size however.
                      Fantastic that you have thought to add the paperwork to Peters and IPDB resources for others to use.

I have had sucess scanning large sheet schematics bit by bit and using photoshop to join them together. A bit slow but worth the while to get an electronic version of these when they are rare (or otherwise non-existent).

Comment

My local MBE store has a scanner big enough for building plans/schematics and charges about $5-$6 a scan. I have been charged about $20/scan from other companies.
                        Always interested in buying Sega EM (1966-1976) arcade games, parts & paperwork

Comment

Congrats on your EM purchase David .
                          Looks like quite a big project you've got yourself there .
                          Will be interested to watch your progress
                          Cheers
                          Dave

Comment

Anyway, I'll update this thread as I go and upload more pictures to the gallery.
                            The schematic should not be a problem.
                            I've done the schematic for Williams Jackpot from A4 scans.
                            Stitched them all together to make 1 big image.
                            I can do this for you if you like.
                            There has to be a 5 cm overlap on each scan to make them fit together.
                            High res, gray scale and all pages on the same scale (no shrinking or enlargement).

Peter
                            www.inkochnito.nl
                            Scan your score and instruction cards and
                            send me a picture for reproducing.

Comment

I've just finished scanning and joining the schematic together. It's about 30MB as a png, 40MB as a gif or tif and about 10MB as a jpg. Seems big but then again it's a huge piece of paper!

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X