Weak games on step down transformers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak games on step down transformers

Got several em games running on step down transformers they dont seem to have the punch of 240 volt transformers. Is this normal or is there something that can be done.

I think you will find your 110v games have 60hz motors which make the games slow
    Australian Distributors for Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball.
    Your one Stop Shop For New Pinball & Arcade Games.

Comment

I’m guessing you are talking about solenoid strength rather than motor speeds?
      if they are a bit slow/weak then your step down transformer may not have enough guts.
      what wattage stepdowns are you using?

Comment

theres no mystical magic.. its all just voltage and current. out with the multimter and measure things. start with the stepdown output. is it 100 or 130v?

Comment

I don't run any EMs through a step down, so no direct experience to give here but...

The power rating (watts or VA) of the step down transformer will determine it's punch. The size and weight of the step-down transformer will give a good guide. If you are familiar with the size and weight of transformers in SS and DMD machines, they need to have lots of heft to supply the needs of pinball coils.

If the transformer is too small, I may well read the correct voltage (ie 110v), but during the instant when a coil needs a hit of current, the step-down will not be able to supply it and the voltage will sag at that point. You wont see this on a multi-meter.

There is no substitute for copper and iron in a transformer. Both of these weigh heaps so let your weigh lifting fore-arm be the judge. I say this because many dodgy sellers give power ratings that I think are pretty dubious!
          Tangles' Pin Parts.

Pinball Replacement Boards - Designed and Manufactured in Australia
          http://tanglestech.com

Comment

Some EM transformers are selectable from 110 to 240 so have a look under the hood to see if it's got a selector (like a jones plug or pin). If it does you wont need the additional external unit.
            Gemini2544's 4th Pinball meet Saturday 21/03/2020

Comment

most had a 50hz motor for export and 60hz US which caused it to be slower
              Australian Distributors for Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball.
              Your one Stop Shop For New Pinball & Arcade Games.

Comment

Ok thanks for the replies. . Doug the transformers aren't duel voltage 110 v only. I have had them running through a 350watt step down but even the globes dim when you hit the flipper. So I run them through a 2000watt stepdown which is a little better. So basically even if I high tap them they will still be slower than 240 v 50 htz is that correct ?

Comment

What games are affected? There are a few guys on AA sitting on older parts, It's might be easier to just replace the transformers.

Comment

Hey Doug ship ahoy , Top Card , Bank a ball , Bowling queen and a williams 1959 Tic tac Toe

Comment

kimbleseven might have a transformer to sell.

Comment

Was gonna restore target alpha but it's too far gone. Was gonna use the transformer in my ship ahoy. The lights dim a bit with the Stepdown.
                        Last edited by kimbleseven; 14th February 2020, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                        Working...
                        X