Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Grand Slam Restoration Started

two questions Ian

1) your cabinet has white stencilling however the flyer shows red - are you going to go with red or white stencilling

2) what do you use for your stencil material - I am about to restencil my Royal Guard

two questions Ian

1) your cabinet has white stencilling however the flyer shows red - are you going to go with red or white stencilling

2) what do you use for your stencil material - I am about to restencil my Royal Guard

Hi Ric

1) good question about the red and the white,i was going white because the machine i have had white,i cant work out why it is white, but it looked like it was original, but when i sanded it it had the burgandy red under the white :unsure

2) I work at a paper mill in Tas and when the reams of paper are wrapped they use a paper wrapper with a plastic lining on one side, like a icy pole wrapper

so i use that with a spray contact glue, you just spray the glue on the plastic side of the stencil, stick it to the cab, spray the stencil color, and the stencil just peals off no probs

cheers Ian :D

Great Start Ian - Awesome pictures... :cool:

I'm also thinking about going to water based paint for my next cab repaint. Quick question - What size compressor are you using ?

Keep the updates coming !

Hi Strangeways

I bought a easy sprayer 10 odd years ago from Kmart (also seen them at C I G gas shops)when i was doing a lot of wood working, for spraying varnish

compressors and guns were still very expensive back then,but now very cheap

Hi Strangeways

I bought a easy sprayer 10 odd years ago from Kmart (also seen them at C I G gas shops)when i was doing a lot of wood working, for spraying varnish

Thats the exact same one I have. Man I've sprayed fences, sheds and now my lowboy with it and it's still going strong. Would recommend as an alternative to a full blown compressor set up..:D

Nice web page on you're restoration. Looking forward to more photos as you progress.

Hi Strangeways

Thats the same as I've borrwed for my bartop cabinet projects too. It seems fine but then I don't have a lot to compare it to. I do think it seems to either be TOO fine (that you can barely see the paint on) or too strong at a close distance (I know there's a sray volume knob but in general it seems to be too wide or something?)

I was considering buying a Wagner 'airless' gun that looked kind of like this, but I've got a lot more research to do:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:vOeP112dO09U4M:http://www.homeright.com/product/C800521_h3f.jpg

Ian, thats an awesome restore so far... I hope I can learn some of those skills (and most importantly, get faster at it... it seems to take me months to organise a stencil, find the right paint, set everything up, get more sandpaper, etc etc).

How long do you reckon it taken you so far (hours) ?

Spacies, if you were to rate them out of 10 then (forget brand), and consider it is JUST for paint (take other air tools out of the equation):

Air compressor and gun <$250

Dedicated compressor gun like Ian's using

"Airless" gun

Sorry for the slight off-topic Ian :)

Air compressor and gun <$250. This will give you the best results bar none. 10/10 if you do it right. Its the most forgiving too. These can be used with oil based paints but for the best results, use automotive paint.

Dedicated compressor gun like Ian's using. These are ok but do not come close IMO to the finish of the above. Can be used with oil and water based paints. 6/10

"Airless" gun. Not suitable. These are a pump. Very expensive (I have 2 worth about 6k). Not an HVLP system. Good for painting your house but not arcade machines. 0/10

I have painted many cars and video games ( I have built a few ) . If you want it perfect, use number 1. Although none of you guys have seen anything I have built you have to take my word for it.

How long do you reckon it taken you so far (hours) ?

dmworking i Dont really know,how many hours i have spent on Grand Slam :unsure

I have just spent most of the day pulling the score reels and credit unit apart and cleaning every part :)

i still have the ball count unit to do, and that will finish off the head box

waiting on some krylon triple thick from Wayne so i can seal the back glass

i havnt touched the playfield yet, waiting for novus and leg bolts from Mark, I have all new rubbers and coil sleeves and leg levelers from Mark , all these parts are here when i start the playfield :confused:

Mate,

What colour and brand is that blue? seems the same as a Lethal Weapon 3. Im going vinyl wrap but where vinyl meets, i might put a coat underneath to fill in any gaps. Much like wotto did with his cab rebuild

Mate,

What colour and brand is that blue? seems the same as a Lethal Weapon 3. Im going vinyl wrap but where vinyl meets, i might put a coat underneath to fill in any gaps. Much like wotto did with his cab rebuild

Hi acejas

the paint brand is WATTYL, and the color is Marseilles Blue

Dear Ian

I am restoring a Gottlieb Pro Football. I bought it disassembled and have got it working about 30%. Having trouble getting the points (touchdowns) and 1,000 points to score properly. Also, a previous owner painted the cabinet black. I have begun using Goof-Off to get back to the original paintwork. Your restoration has inspired me to do a better job than I am currently doing. I'll post some photos soon and would appreciate any advice.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...