X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twilight Zone Pinball Restore

Well it's started.
    Starting to strip the playfield.

Last edited by Savage; 9th March 2009, 07:59 PM.

Are you going to do the 3rd magnet mod while the playfield is stripped Savage?

(Or has the mod been done already? (sample/proto machine)

Comment

Originally posted by pinball1974 View Post
      Are you going to do the 3rd magnet mod while the playfield is stripped Savage?

(Or has the mod been done already? (sample/proto machine)
      Nah, thats one thing I won't do. From what I read it was done as they believed one magnet on the right would not be powerful enough, in which they realised it is, so I'll be leaving the magnet situation as is...

Comment

That playfield looks pretty good to me. Are you one of those perfectionist types
        I hope when i die, my wife doesn't sell my pinball machines for what I told her I paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage View Post
          Nah, thats one thing I won't do. From what I read it was done as they believed one magnet on the right would not be powerful enough, in which they realised it is, so I'll be leaving the magnet situation as is...
          No probs...I speak from personal experience when I say it was a lot of work to install all the components for the 3rd mag mod (and I wouldn't have done it were I not doing a full playfield teardown/clean anyway).

As for drilling a 10 cent sized hole though the playfield, I think I spent a week just working up the courage to position the drill bit on the playfield. (let alone drilling)

I still can't believe you lifted a fully populated TZ playfield out by yourself-
          Last edited by pinsanity; 9th March 2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shootar75 View Post
            That playfield looks pretty good to me. Are you one of those perfectionist types
            Ask Travis, I sure am.
            Will be clearing it with 2 pac, not sure if I'll strip the underneath, if I can get away with sanding the grease from underneath off without taking all the components off I will/

Originally posted by pinball1974 View Post
            No probs...I speak from personal experience when I say it was a lot of work to install all the components for the 3rd mag mod (and I wouldn't have done it were I not doing a full playfield teardown/clean anyway).

As for drilling a 10 cent sized hole though the playfield, I think I spent a week just working up the courage to position the drill bit on the playfield. (let alone drilling)

I still can't believe you lifted a fully populated TZ playfield out by yourself-

Ahh, so you have done this, any real difference? Yeah I'd be nervous drilling into the PF too...

It wasn't an easy job to lift it out, even forgot I left the Balls in it, I put down to having to be fit for the Army Reserves, constantly doing Push up's

Comment

looking forward to this
              my fav game
              I have a cc'd nos pf and mini on the way from the US
              sigpic

Comment

Ahh, so you have done this, any real difference? Yeah I'd be nervous drilling into the PF too...
                1. Spiral mode registers the ball going through the opto beams for each magnet
                (1,2,3, breakthrough)

2. Multiball--machine launches three balls and locks one on each magnet, holds for a couple seconds and then releases all three at the same time from the magnets so that all three reach the flippers at roughly the same time.

But for the machine to do this, you need to have locked the powerball into the gumball machine during that game so the machine knows it is not trying to "magnet lock" a ceramic ball. (still very smart software though)

The multiball is the better of the two and I think it only works with the Home roms also.

Like I said, it is a fair bit of work --as well as drilling the playfield you need to drill holes in the lane guides for the optos to work for the third magnet, add a harness for the optos and there is some board soldering work as well, such as adding the driver transistor to the aux power board for the 3rd magnet coil to work.

All the parts needed will probably set you back about $100 if you can get them locally, but I think pinbits in the US still does a kit for it which may work out a bit cheaper.

I followed this guide:
                http://iobium.com/third_magnet_project.htm
                Last edited by pinsanity; 9th March 2009, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Ask Travis, I sure am.
                  Will be clearing it with 2 pac, not sure if I'll strip the underneath, if I can get away with sanding the grease from underneath off without taking all the components off I will/
                  Is there an advantage to clearcoating a diamond plate PF?
                  BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When your down here with us, you'll float too!

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Juice View Post
                    Is there an advantage to clearcoating a diamond plate PF?
                    only really if you want to seal in touch ups, insert replacement etc or if the playfields coat has worn over time, you can buff back, sand, and put a fresh coat of clear on
                    sigpic

Comment

Progress so far.
                      Still stripping the Play Field

Comment

Have to get one of those PF holdem me jigs ... That PF looks good already
                        sigpic

Comment

Progress so far.
                          Still stripping the Play Field
                          Is that a street lamp below the yellow pop bumper?

Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by DKong View Post
                            Have to get one of those PF holdem me jigs ... That PF looks good already
                            yeah I was gonna say that myself....are you cleaning as you go Scott because the playfield is looking pretty damn good to me already.
                            Man cannot live with just one pinball.
                            sigpic

Comment

I would love one of these one day, so just joining the thread

Good luck!
                              Regards

Dez

DSB Electrical
                              DSB Electrical Facebook
                              VAPS
                              Vector Monitor Repro Parts
                              Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X