Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Twilight Zone Pinball Restore

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to do the 3rd magnet mod while the playfield is stripped Savage?

(Or has the mod been done already? (sample/proto machine):unsure

Nah, thats one thing I won't do. From what I read it was done as they believed one magnet on the right would not be powerful enough, in which they realised it is, so I'll be leaving the magnet situation as is...

Nah, thats one thing I won't do. From what I read it was done as they believed one magnet on the right would not be powerful enough, in which they realised it is, so I'll be leaving the magnet situation as is...

No probs...I speak from personal experience when I say it was a lot of work to install all the components for the 3rd mag mod (and I wouldn't have done it were I not doing a full playfield teardown/clean anyway).

As for drilling a 10 cent sized hole though the playfield, I think I spent a week just working up the courage to position the drill bit on the playfield. (let alone drilling):o

I still can't believe you lifted a fully populated TZ playfield out by yourself- :)

Edited by pinsanity

That playfield looks pretty good to me. Are you one of those perfectionist types :p

Ask Travis, I sure am.

Will be clearing it with 2 pac, not sure if I'll strip the underneath, if I can get away with sanding the grease from underneath off without taking all the components off I will/

No probs...I speak from personal experience when I say it was a lot of work to install all the components for the 3rd mag mod (and I wouldn't have done it were I not doing a full playfield teardown/clean anyway).

As for drilling a 10 cent sized hole though the playfield, I think I spent a week just working up the courage to position the drill bit on the playfield. (let alone drilling):o

I still can't believe you lifted a fully populated TZ playfield out by yourself- :)

Ahh, so you have done this, any real difference? Yeah I'd be nervous drilling into the PF too...

It wasn't an easy job to lift it out, even forgot I left the Balls in it, I put down to having to be fit for the Army Reserves, constantly doing Push up's :rolleyes

Ahh, so you have done this, any real difference? Yeah I'd be nervous drilling into the PF too...

1. Spiral mode registers the ball going through the opto beams for each magnet

(1,2,3, breakthrough)

2. Multiball--machine launches three balls and locks one on each magnet, holds for a couple seconds and then releases all three at the same time from the magnets so that all three reach the flippers at roughly the same time.

But for the machine to do this, you need to have locked the powerball into the gumball machine during that game so the machine knows it is not trying to "magnet lock" a ceramic ball. (still very smart software though)

The multiball is the better of the two and I think it only works with the Home roms also.:unsure

Like I said, it is a fair bit of work --as well as drilling the playfield you need to drill holes in the lane guides for the optos to work for the third magnet, add a harness for the optos and there is some board soldering work as well, such as adding the driver transistor to the aux power board for the 3rd magnet coil to work.

All the parts needed will probably set you back about $100 if you can get them locally, but I think pinbits in the US still does a kit for it which may work out a bit cheaper.

I followed this guide:

http://iobium.com/third_magnet_project.htm

Edited by pinsanity

Ask Travis, I sure am.

Will be clearing it with 2 pac, not sure if I'll strip the underneath, if I can get away with sanding the grease from underneath off without taking all the components off I will/

Is there an advantage to clearcoating a diamond plate PF?

Is there an advantage to clearcoating a diamond plate PF?

only really if you want to seal in touch ups, insert replacement etc or if the playfields coat has worn over time, you can buff back, sand, and put a fresh coat of clear on

There's a a thread on the Pinball Rotisserie

Basicall about $50 in materials + labor to make one, PM me if interested, but also Gamemasters makes a similar one for $140, so probably cheaper through him..

Yes thats a lamp post, nothing special about it really, just sits there.

No Cleaning the PF, will be sanded down, any touch up / repairs done if needed and then the two pak clear applied..

Still Stripping the playfield.

First time taking the whole pop bumper off, and how shit of a job it is compared to a Data East pin.

I mean if all Williams pop bumpers are the same, you gotta undo about 5 nuts, 4 screws and then unsolder some connections and pull through flat wire from staples, far out!.... Data East, I think was 2 - 3 nuts unplug the connection and the whole thing pulls troughh

I'm picky, the wood underneath the playfield is dirty as, I've got soot on my hands from the PCB's..

Any Pin I own will under go a two pack playfield..

Also there's very minor wear, which I just can't ignore....

http://static.zooomr.com/images/7068550_a377803836_b.jpg

http://static.zooomr.com/images/7068555_84883de19e_b.jpg

Edited by Scotty T