Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Scared Stiff - Fix up restore

This was given to me to fix up someone else's "attempt" to either restore or to do a quick flip.

There's was so much wrong with this, it had a real thick clear coat, which looked rolled or brushed on, even still it had runs, solvent boil and silcone in the clear.

Insert decals were not trimmed and slap over existing inserts, most were done poorly.

A lot of touchups looked to be done by brush.

Paint splatter though-out the whole playfield.

Some inserts were not even touched up before the playfield being cleared.

Shit all though-out the clear (factory clears have their fair share of dust / sh#t) but this playfield was a lot worse.

Anyway, I was given a set budget, and to keep costs down I did every little trick I could think of to bring this back to a respectable level... I think I succeeded....

Some Before Photos:

_01B.thumb.jpg.9b4925f28c831960e2bb45ace6cbf492.jpg

-You can see "9" insert on how it was applied. I removed the inner "Jack Pot" insert to see the what was underneath

_02B.thumb.jpg.eda7c3e3784ef1d84605b9ea472674b0.jpg

This shows "cat" and "bird" insert decals have been replaced, but not the "fly"

_03B.thumb.jpg.e5085db6bfb4db5bd6beddc5879711c6.jpg

-You can see how these inserts are basically slapped on with not much care.

_04B.thumb.jpg.51e1466fda951247e8d0869dd009b5f6.jpg

-Better closer view of all the crap / dust in the clear

image_145267.thumb.jpg.6dbec516a265c9cf855c8eaf79247ea8.jpg

Overall before view

Now some before and after photos

01.thumb.jpg.4b657ad1369b8a8ed9b02ea43cfa79af.jpg

02.thumb.jpg.c52b5b169f05e4bbc4c541716dd30566.jpg

03.thumb.jpg.d38c97b3b6e97fefce9b84d3d46002ee.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.e05c617b779a9b2bbdf5fd655950df20.jpg

05.thumb.jpg.38ccbeebbf01eab54f46650ea9394e83.jpg

06.thumb.jpg.88be6d2416206aa08afcec0f349f178a.jpg

Hole fixed up, and you can see the Jackpot insert had no white around the lettering.

Now some after photos

_06A.thumb.jpg.1f21e8693cf53e0f3ed65b2cac290eb8.jpg

_07A.thumb.jpg.c46b9554f57da369b99e9e294f24a3b2.jpg

_08A.thumb.jpg.7c340236f27e543584bfde2f0f886f46.jpg

_09A.thumb.jpg.6b70ab6e3801ba43f73f938130d35433.jpg

Video:

Edited by Scotty T
  • Like 7

Fantastic work, Scott.

When doing touch-ups on small areas, I don't want to use something to clearcoat or finish off one tiny spot which will potentially ruin a full clearcoat later on. Is there a clearcoat or other finishing product that you recommend for applying over paint which will not interfere with a full clearcoat?

• Like 1

Fantastic work, Scott.

When doing touch-ups on small areas, I don't want to use something to clearcoat or finish off one tiny spot which will potentially ruin a full clearcoat later on. Is there a clearcoat or other finishing product that you recommend for applying over paint which will not interfere with a full clearcoat?

Nothin really, trying to spot clear just unfortunately doesn't work, end up with a lip, trying to blend the clear is asking for trouble.

Maybe a hard wax, I like these hybrid waxes coming out (not the liquid but paste / hard compound) that may work?

Featured

Cheers.

I struggled to post photo's in this new update.

When posting the photo's the photo icon (with all the others icons- Menu bar?) after two + photo's it moves off screen, so forever scrolling up, clicking the image button, scrolling down to insert the photo and repeat.

I noticed when editing the post, the menu bar would float so avoided needing to scroll up and down. Maybe a hack is to post one photo, then edit the post to add the rest.

Update: noticed all but one photo doesn't show in tapatalk, not sure if it's just my app or others?

Taaaa

• Administrators

Hi Scott did you read my thread about attachments? HERE it explains the attachments options.

Once you get use to its its really easy to upload multiple pics.

PRO TIP: The trick is to upload all of them in one hit, all your attachments will then be listed at the bottom and then you simply add them into the thread by leaving your cursor where you want the image then pick a size small, medium or large (not thumbnail) then the image will appear in your editor.

This is easier then trying to put them in all at once then try to move them around.

Just remember even if you chose small or medium you can click on the image to enlarge it when posted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Full disclosure.

Client was not happy with the result, and lesson learnt from me and that is never try to fix up someone else's mistake or bad workman ship....

Instead I should have said no to this or did a complete strip back.

I did try to work to a close to half of what I would charge on a full / proper restore, so has me thinking that for now on, no more in-between restore / touch up type of work or working to a set limited budget.

Either a full restore, or Clear coat only work (which in include very minor touch ups,) I take this work very seriously and treat each as if it was my own, but can only do so much... and it does really get to me when clients are not happy...

• Like 5

• Administrators
Full disclosure.

Client was not happy with the result, and lesson learnt from me and that is never try to fix up someone else's mistake or bad workman ship....

Instead I should have said no to this or did a complete strip back.

I did try to work to a close to half of what I would charge on a full / proper restore, so has me thinking that for now on, no more in-between restore / touch up type of work or working to a set limited budget.

Either a full restore, or Clear coat only work (which in include very minor touch ups,) I take this work very seriously and treat each as if it was my own, but can only do so much... and it does really get to me when clients are not happy...

Mate I've known you going on 16 years now and I'm probably one of the first to get my playfieds done by you when you started dabbling in 2 pac clear coating and restoring. I've seen first hand your attention to detail and how you've perfected the craft over the time I've know you.

Sad to read this considering you take 20-30 year old worn out piles of crap and restore them to near new in most cases.

• Like 1

Mate I've known you going on 16 years now and I'm probably one of the first to get my playfieds done by you when you started dabbling in 2 pac clear coating and restoring. I've seen first hand your attention to detail and how you've perfected the craft over the time I've know you.

Sad to read this considering you take 20-30 year old worn out piles of crap and restore them to near new in most cases.

Thanks mate.

Slowly working things out.

And the client is not blaming me.

It's a sticky situation where fixing up someone else's mistakes, and also giving regular updates and photos, to then receive unfavorable feedback...

Cheers

• Like 2