Scared Stiff - Fix up restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared Stiff - Fix up restore

This was given to me to fix up someone else's "attempt" to either restore or to do a quick flip.

There's was so much wrong with this, it had a real thick clear coat, which looked rolled or brushed on, even still it had runs, solvent boil and silcone in the clear.
    Insert decals were not trimmed and slap over existing inserts, most were done poorly.
    A lot of touchups looked to be done by brush.
    Paint splatter though-out the whole playfield.
    Some inserts were not even touched up before the playfield being cleared.
    Shit all though-out the clear (factory clears have their fair share of dust / sh#t) but this playfield was a lot worse.

Anyway, I was given a set budget, and to keep costs down I did every little trick I could think of to bring this back to a respectable level... I think I succeeded....

Some Before Photos:

Click image for larger version  Name:	_01B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	371.1 KB ID:	2100601
    -You can see "9" insert on how it was applied. I removed the inner "Jack Pot" insert to see the what was underneath

Click image for larger version  Name:	_02B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	361.3 KB ID:	2100600
    This shows "cat" and "bird" insert decals have been replaced, but not the "fly"

Click image for larger version  Name:	_03B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	374.1 KB ID:	2100603
    -You can see how these inserts are basically slapped on with not much care.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_04B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	260.9 KB ID:	2100599
    -Better closer view of all the crap / dust in the clear

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_145267.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	450.1 KB
ID:	2100606
    Overall before view

Now some before and after photos
    Click image for larger version  Name:	01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	419.8 KB ID:	2100608

Click image for larger version  Name:	02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	525.1 KB ID:	2100612

Click image for larger version  Name:	03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	423.2 KB ID:	2100609

Click image for larger version  Name:	04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	549.2 KB ID:	2100611

Click image for larger version  Name:	05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	421.0 KB ID:	2100613

Click image for larger version  Name:	06.jpg Views:	0 Size:	421.4 KB ID:	2100610
    Hole fixed up, and you can see the Jackpot insert had no white around the lettering.

Now some after photos

Click image for larger version  Name:	_06A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	376.9 KB ID:	2100602

Click image for larger version  Name:	_07A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	386.8 KB ID:	2100604

Click image for larger version  Name:	_08A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	376.3 KB ID:	2100605

Click image for larger version  Name:	_09A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	374.5 KB ID:	2100607

Video:

Last edited by Savage; 5th January 2020, 08:37 AM.

Fantastic work, Scott.

When doing touch-ups on small areas, I don't want to use something to clearcoat or finish off one tiny spot which will potentially ruin a full clearcoat later on. Is there a clearcoat or other finishing product that you recommend for applying over paint which will not interfere with a full clearcoat?

http://www.afpinball.com
    "Pinball... harmless recreation for a modest consideration"

Comment

Featured

Comment

Originally posted by ocyen View Post
        Fantastic work, Scott.

When doing touch-ups on small areas, I don't want to use something to clearcoat or finish off one tiny spot which will potentially ruin a full clearcoat later on. Is there a clearcoat or other finishing product that you recommend for applying over paint which will not interfere with a full clearcoat?
        Nothin really, trying to spot clear just unfortunately doesn't work, end up with a lip, trying to blend the clear is asking for trouble.
        Maybe a hard wax, I like these hybrid waxes coming out (not the liquid but paste / hard compound) that may work?

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
          Featured
          Cheers.

I struggled to post photo's in this new update.
          When posting the photo's the photo icon (with all the others icons- Menu bar?) after two + photo's it moves off screen, so forever scrolling up, clicking the image button, scrolling down to insert the photo and repeat.
          I noticed when editing the post, the menu bar would float so avoided needing to scroll up and down. Maybe a hack is to post one photo, then edit the post to add the rest.

Update: noticed all but one photo doesn't show in tapatalk, not sure if it's just my app or others?

Taaaa

Comment

Hi Scott did you read my thread about attachments? HERE it explains the attachments options.
            Once you get use to its its really easy to upload multiple pics.
            PRO TIP: The trick is to upload all of them in one hit, all your attachments will then be listed at the bottom and then you simply add them into the thread by leaving your cursor where you want the image then pick a size small, medium or large (not thumbnail) then the image will appear in your editor.
            This is easier then trying to put them in all at once then try to move them around.
            Just remember even if you chose small or medium you can click on the image to enlarge it when posted.

Comment

Thanks Travis.
              A lot more options have now changed it around, cheers!

Comment

Full disclosure.
                Client was not happy with the result, and lesson learnt from me and that is never try to fix up someone else's mistake or bad workman ship....
                Instead I should have said no to this or did a complete strip back.

I did try to work to a close to half of what I would charge on a full / proper restore, so has me thinking that for now on, no more in-between restore / touch up type of work or working to a set limited budget.

Either a full restore, or Clear coat only work (which in include very minor touch ups,) I take this work very seriously and treat each as if it was my own, but can only do so much... and it does really get to me when clients are not happy...

Comment

Originally posted by Savage View Post
                  Full disclosure.
                  Client was not happy with the result, and lesson learnt from me and that is never try to fix up someone else's mistake or bad workman ship....
                  Instead I should have said no to this or did a complete strip back.

I did try to work to a close to half of what I would charge on a full / proper restore, so has me thinking that for now on, no more in-between restore / touch up type of work or working to a set limited budget.

Either a full restore, or Clear coat only work (which in include very minor touch ups,) I take this work very seriously and treat each as if it was my own, but can only do so much... and it does really get to me when clients are not happy...

Mate I've known you going on 16 years now and I'm probably one of the first to get my playfieds done by you when you started dabbling in 2 pac clear coating and restoring. I've seen first hand your attention to detail and how you've perfected the craft over the time I've know you.
                  Sad to read this considering you take 20-30 year old worn out piles of crap and restore them to near new in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post

Mate I've known you going on 16 years now and I'm probably one of the first to get my playfieds done by you when you started dabbling in 2 pac clear coating and restoring. I've seen first hand your attention to detail and how you've perfected the craft over the time I've know you.
                    Sad to read this considering you take 20-30 year old worn out piles of crap and restore them to near new in most cases.
                    Thanks mate.
                    Slowly working things out.
                    And the client is not blaming me.
                    It's a sticky situation where fixing up someone else's mistakes, and also giving regular updates and photos, to then receive unfavorable feedback...

Cheers

Comment

Great to hear and 10/10 for honesty.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                      Working...
                      X