Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terminator 2 Playfield - Restore or leave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminator 2 Playfield - Restore or leave?

Greetings,

I am tossing up whether to have a go at fixing my T2 playfield. It is completely playable, but will need some work. As I discovered (discussed on here previously), my T2 has had Mylar put on the playfield at some stage but after it had worn.
    I have got a decal set (non laminated) which can go on, but mylar removal would have to take place. I have got a friend who can 2k clear coat for me once its done.
    Thanks to searching on here I will give the shellite / plastic scraper method a run after removing and stripping playfield. I have stripped playfields before but this will be a first time for mylar removal. Below are the images of the worst areas. Basically I am just seeking some advice from the experts here whether I should give it a go or leave it alone and keep searching for another playfield?
    Last edited by Martyj; 27th July 2008, 04:25 PM.

no expert in mylar removal, but looking at the pix, what really have you got to lose? I can see how you are going to make the playfield unplayable by taking it off. Lets see what others say.

Comment

WOW that machine has been played hard!

Do I spy dry rub on transfers?

Hmm I reckon that mylar should come off - it must make the ball travel like it is offroad a bit... and will probably only keep getting worse.

Looks like the inserts lifted which started the wear...

I agree with the 'what have you to lose' - worst case you can still keep an eye out for another playfield... Still, as long as you can play and enjoy it.. have fun!

Cheers
      Jacob

Comment

Originally posted by AskJacob View Post
        WOW that machine has been played hard!

Do I spy dry rub on transfers?

Hmm I reckon that mylar should come off - it must make the ball travel like it is offroad a bit... and will probably only keep getting worse.

Looks like the inserts lifted which started the wear...

I agree with the 'what have you to lose' - worst case you can still keep an eye out for another playfield... Still, as long as you can play and enjoy it.. have fun!

Cheers
        Jacob
        Yes, it would appear that some rub on transfers (like I used in my high school projects) had been used. Not quite a McGiver, but points for effort!!
        I am hoping that the Mylar over Diamond Plate may make the process a little easier, but who knows. The rest of the playfield looks really good. Those photos are the worst of the worst. Has anyone else had experience with the decal sets?

Comment

If its diamond plated the best method is just a heat gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
            If its diamond plated the best method is just a heat gun.
            Well the areas that are not Mylar'd would appear to have been clear coated. I would think it should be diamond plated under the mylar as the other areas have a nice shine to them.
            I don't have a heat gun. The missus has about 3 hair dryers which I could use unless it is not recommended and I will have to go to Bunnings again

Comment

no hair dryer is perfectly fine, just go slow and take your time then clean the glue off with Shellite

I have a few threads which shows me removing the mylar with a heat gun.

Comment

from what googling I could do, it seems that T2 is a DiamondPlate PF...

But I'd prefer someone more knowledgeable to speak up here!

Comment

Originally posted by AskJacob View Post
                  from what googling I could do, it seems that T2 is a DiamondPlate PF...

But I'd prefer someone more knowledgeable to speak up here!
                  Yup and it is screen printed on it stating same! There were Mylar kits available according to T2 Parts list. I don't know whether mine is one of these or DIY.

Comment

Probably just an after market job done by an op. At least Mylar removal is much easier on a Diamond Plated playfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
                      Probably just an after market job done by an op. At least Mylar removal is much easier on a Diamond Plated playfield.
                      Well, if this thread gets moved to the Restoration section, then it will have been a success. If you see me posting more threads or pestering Mark C for a new playfield then everyone will be able to join the dots......

For the existing (screen printing I believe) on the decals, if the Mylar does not remove them any tips on removal / prep?

Comment

ALL T2 playfields are diamond plated
                        sigpic

Comment

I can second that, T2 diamond plate

Comment

Have a go at an inconspicuous area that has mylar. Try a method that you are comfortable with.. As others have mentioned - you have nothing to lose, and if successful, you won't need to look for another playfield..

As Travis pointed out - there are plenty of great threads on mylar removal..

Post your results !
                            We are the largest supplier of Pinball Ramps in Australia.
                            Distributors for CPR, Pinball Inc, Planetary Pinball, Starship-Fantasy, Ball Baron, Pincore, Cliffy Protectors, Superbands
                            http://http://www.rtbb.com.au/
                            http://https://www.facebook.com/RideTheBoneyBeast

Comment

Originally posted by Strangeways View Post
                              Have a go at an inconspicuous area that has mylar. Try a method that you are comfortable with.. As others have mentioned - you have nothing to lose, and if successful, you won't need to look for another playfield..

As Travis pointed out - there are plenty of great threads on mylar removal..

Post your results !
                              Will do! I've started stripping the top of the PF so I should be ready to roll by this arvo (well top of PF anyway). The underside is a little overwhelming!!!

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X