Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Terminator 2 Playfield - Restore or leave?

Greetings,

I am tossing up whether to have a go at fixing my T2 playfield. It is completely playable, but will need some work. As I discovered (discussed on here previously), my T2 has had Mylar put on the playfield at some stage but after it had worn.

I have got a decal set (non laminated) which can go on, but mylar removal would have to take place. I have got a friend who can 2k clear coat for me once its done.

Thanks to searching on here I will give the shellite / plastic scraper method a run after removing and stripping playfield. I have stripped playfields before but this will be a first time for mylar removal. Below are the images of the worst areas. Basically I am just seeking some advice from the experts here whether I should give it a go or leave it alone and keep searching for another playfield?

:confused:

Edited by Martyj

WOW that machine has been played hard!

Do I spy dry rub on transfers?

Hmm I reckon that mylar should come off - it must make the ball travel like it is offroad a bit... and will probably only keep getting worse.

Looks like the inserts lifted which started the wear...

I agree with the 'what have you to lose' - worst case you can still keep an eye out for another playfield... Still, as long as you can play and enjoy it.. have fun!

Cheers

Jacob

WOW that machine has been played hard!

Do I spy dry rub on transfers?

Hmm I reckon that mylar should come off - it must make the ball travel like it is offroad a bit... and will probably only keep getting worse.

Looks like the inserts lifted which started the wear...

I agree with the 'what have you to lose' - worst case you can still keep an eye out for another playfield... Still, as long as you can play and enjoy it.. have fun!

Cheers

Jacob

Yes, it would appear that some rub on transfers (like I used in my high school projects) had been used. Not quite a McGiver, but points for effort!!

I am hoping that the Mylar over Diamond Plate may make the process a little easier, but who knows. The rest of the playfield looks really good. Those photos are the worst of the worst. Has anyone else had experience with the decal sets?

If its diamond plated the best method is just a heat gun.

Well the areas that are not Mylar'd would appear to have been clear coated. I would think it should be diamond plated under the mylar as the other areas have a nice shine to them.

I don't have a heat gun. The missus has about 3 hair dryers which I could use unless it is not recommended and I will have to go to Bunnings again :lol

from what googling I could do, it seems that T2 is a DiamondPlate PF...

But I'd prefer someone more knowledgeable to speak up here!

Yup and it is screen printed on it stating same! There were Mylar kits available according to T2 Parts list. I don't know whether mine is one of these or DIY.

Probably just an after market job done by an op. At least Mylar removal is much easier on a Diamond Plated playfield.

:) Well, if this thread gets moved to the Restoration section, then it will have been a success. If you see me posting more threads or pestering Mark C for a new playfield then everyone will be able to join the dots......:072:

For the existing (screen printing I believe) on the decals, if the Mylar does not remove them any tips on removal / prep?

Have a go at an inconspicuous area that has mylar. Try a method that you are comfortable with.. As others have mentioned - you have nothing to lose, and if successful, you won't need to look for another playfield..

As Travis pointed out - there are plenty of great threads on mylar removal..

Post your results !

Have a go at an inconspicuous area that has mylar. Try a method that you are comfortable with.. As others have mentioned - you have nothing to lose, and if successful, you won't need to look for another playfield..

As Travis pointed out - there are plenty of great threads on mylar removal..

Post your results !

Will do! I've started stripping the top of the PF so I should be ready to roll by this arvo (well top of PF anyway). The underside is a little overwhelming!!!:confused:

Mylar removal has been OK. Heat gun has worked well. I've only started in the lower section of PF and removed one section. It looks like the Mylar has been put on after some wear, especially on the decals. I am unsure on how to proceed with the decals. I am thinking maybe using a sharp blade to cut around then remove? I will loose some artwork around the Terminator lower bits, but I guess a little touch up maybe OK?

Mylar removal has been OK. Heat gun has worked well. I've only started in the lower section of PF and removed one section. It looks like the Mylar has been put on after some wear, especially on the decals. I am unsure on how to proceed with the decals. I am thinking maybe using a sharp blade to cut around then remove? I will loose some artwork around the Terminator lower bits, but I guess a little touch up maybe OK?

Have a look on the net for a decal kit ?

Have a look on the net for a decal kit ?

Yes I have got a decal set (non laminated) to go down. I am just unsure how to safely get the old ones off. I believe they were screen printed on, then cleared. I just dont want to rip clear coat off where I shouldn't...

• Administrators
Yes I have got a decal set (non laminated) to go down. I am just unsure how to safely get the old ones off. I believe they were screen printed on, then cleared. I just dont want to rip clear coat off where I shouldn't...

I personally removed the inserts by heating the underside and tapping them out then on a flat surface used 600 wet and dry to remove the decal.

What ever you use to tap out the insert make sure it cover as much of the insert as possible otherwise you risk cracking, for example to remove the arrow inserts from my funhouse i used the bottom flat side of a niko pen.

Clean out any remaining glue from the insert hole and insert itself, reseat the insert then apply super glue underneath to hold it in place.

If you intend to 2 pac clear make sure you glue each and every insert to reinforce them otherwise if they move your decals could lift if the insert moves and you will get a milky patch.

I personally removed the inserts by heating the underside and tapping them out then on a flat surface used 600 wet and dry to remove the decal.

What ever you use to tap out the insert make sure it cover as much of the insert as possible otherwise you risk cracking, for example to remove the arrow inserts from my funhouse i used the bottom flat side of a niko pen.

Clean out any remaining glue from the insert hole and insert itself, reseat the insert then apply super glue underneath to hold it in place.

If you intend to 2 pac clear make sure you glue each and every insert to reinforce them otherwise if they move your decals could lift if the insert moves and you will get a milky patch.

I've removed the bottom section of mylar of the pf, which was covering all the decals and the worst of it. I'm slowly removing the glue. I'm also using a bit of the desolvit (on a rag first) to help with the glue. I am guessing that it may have had a decal set at some stage as some have removed off the top of the inserts completely (ie same bits as the stickers I've got to replace). I'm gently using a surgeons knife with heat gun and seems to be working ok, but very slow.

I guess I will have a look when the glue is all removed. The next step will be do I remove the rest in the OK bits, completely strip playfield or just re mylar the lower section with new decals on. Given the playfield is & never will be 100% I don't want to spend all the time and effort just to get an ok result.

The other bit that scares be a lot is the removal of loom, light sockets and rest of u/s of playfield.....:unsure

Below is photo with mylar off and insert decals starting to be removed. I still have a bit of glue to remove, but it is coming up OK. The main issue will the the Terminators shoulders...The blue/white dotted bit which runs across the insert on both sides....

Edited by Martyj
Grammar

OK, I'm done for the day. Lower section of pf is about 3/4 complete. Still have mylar glue to remove on decals and little bits of playfield. I will have to paint the Terminators shoulders back over decal as it was already gone on the r/h/s and beyond saving on l/h/s. I think with the decal set on, it will at least look neater. Still in two minds whether to clear coat or just go the mylar on lower section. Edited by Martyj

Looks really good so far.

Don't the decals have the shoulder bits on them - or just the text?

Cheers

Jacob

No...It has a wiggly bit which sits on the top edge of his shoulder. Unless there is a different decal set...??:unsure