New Projects - Black Rose First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Projects - Black Rose First

Well big thanks to Tony at The Pinball Shed for giving me some great deals on these Tony has always looked after me in regards to Pinball.
    Big thanks to Richard too
    Sorry about the quality of the pics, had to use my mobile to take them.
    PS: STTNG on hold.

First 2 pics are of the pins on their arses.

Black Rose (sorry everybody who warned me not to get one, I just couldn't resist)

FunHouse

Funhouse I will take on second. The playfield has no wear and I'd like to remove the mylar and get her 2 pac clear coated. I wont go to much into it because I wan't to get the easy one(Black Rose) done first although any suggestions on cleaning the non mylar'd areas of the PF without damaging the paint would be appreciated.
    Overall I'm very happy with this and can't wait to start on it! She fired right up and the alpha numeric displays look like new.
    BONUS! had minty NOS slingshot plastics inside the machine in a envelope!
    Few problems I noticed right away.
    1. Trap Door hinge broken: Took me 5 mins to fix, just put another bit of wire through the hinge
    2. Rudy's eyes won't close. Very common problem, I will share a simple but permanent fix that doesn't involve buying new parts.
    3. Mylar is lifting, will need to be removed. On diamond coated PF's the heat gun always does the job but would there be a safer method for this PF? I've read freeze spray is good?
    This is pretty much it so far, I'll also upgrade the rom versions.

I forgot to take a pic of black rose before I pulled the cannon out to clean it.

Has the usual wear around the cannon although Burra managed to get one without it! should be a easy touch up..just not for me lol
    Rest of the PF is in good nic, no other wear or broken plastics really well made game. BTW my first BALLY machine.
    Does anybody have a spare Bally logo that sits in between the speakers? mine is busted
    The cannon was absolutely filthy! I didn't even know it was clear! Heres some pics of the metal plate under the cannon to give you an idea.
    Before

After

A lot of the mylar has bubbled on this machine so first step will be rip all the ramps off and remove the mylar. Because this playfield is Diamond Plated( clear coated) mylar removal should be easy.
    Heres a pic of some of the bubbles, its funny but its hard to see in the picture, you'll just have to take my word there's that most of the PF's mylar has lifted.
    the S-I-N shows up like dogs nuts and mostly due to the insert has lifted on each letter.
    I'm going to leave the mylar above the flippers and pop bumpers alone, it hasnt bubbled and is a must because the long wireform that returns the ball from the upper cannon dumps the ball in front of the flipper, the drop is quite large and could damage the PF without mylar.

With the heat gun slowly lifting it, this piece runs all the way up the PF.

OK done, bit of a clean up with the CP100, I really need to get something that will remove the glue of the mylar without dulling the diamond plate clear coat, which is best, prepsol or shelite?

Quite a few inserts have lifted, probably about 1/3rd

This is where I need advice from the experts, I've read heating them from behind and pushing them through is the method to remove them, i'd like to get advice from you guys on the "best way" and what glue to use to stick them back.
    If I push down on some of the inserts I can actually make them wiggle, obviously the clear coat at the factory is applied thin.
    Any detailed information will be appreciated.
    Trav

Hey nice a Black Rose!

I have one, and she's in very good nick playfield-wise. Same faded cab.

If you need any detail from around the machine, just ask.

Good luck with it!

Cheers
    Jacob

Comment

****ing well done Trav you big pin whore!

Nice pair to pickup
      "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Comment

Originally posted by AskJacob View Post
        Hey nice a Black Rose!

I have one, and she's in very good nick playfield-wise. Same faded cab.

If you need any detail from around the machine, just ask.

Good luck with it!

Cheers
        Jacob
        The decal on the other side isn't so crash hot, looks like a chunk out of the bottom was ripped off. Can't complain though overall a really good machine. I think from what I've been told the fade in the red is common.
        I reckon the art on BR is the second best ive seen next to CV

Comment

nice! Having owned and sold a BR I am really left missing it. I know people rubbish them, but its a real crowd pleaser and in a collection of a few or more pins you prob wont get sick of it being easy to master. Its charmer of a machine and thats why i like it, BR has soul!

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
            The decal on the other side isn't so crash hot, looks like a chunk out of the bottom was ripped off. Can't complain though overall a really good machine. I think from what I've been told the fade in the red is common.
            I reckon the art on BR is the second best ive seen next to CV
            Yeah red goes. Mine has faded more since I had it too... even in a 'controlled' light environment.

Have seen a damn fine restore job with the glass paints though - makes me want to try it one day...

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
              The I reckon the art on BR is the second best ive seen next to CV
              pisser is that no one is making side art for them, infact no one is making plastics either

Comment

Originally posted by Fish Tales!! View Post
                pisser is that no one is making side art for them, infact no one is making plastics either
                haha I've seen them on ebay but lets no go there. Luckily the plastics are all in tact except for some warping.
                Seems to be a very solid made machine all round, it would have been nice if they extended the mylar to the edge of the cannon hole.

Comment

Originally posted by AskJacob View Post
                  Yeah red goes. Mine has faded more since I had it too... even in a 'controlled' light environment.

Have seen a damn fine restore job with the glass paints though - makes me want to try it one day...
                  http://remote.kiwi.gen.nz/PinballPaint/

Comment

nice

taking a break from arcade for a while trav?
                    you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

Seen that before, really amazing job. Unfortunately I have no patience for that sort of fine detail, be cool if it was just a stencil.

Comment

Yep, that's the link

As far as plastics, it seems the design of this machine lends well to them not being broken.

The only spot I see commonly busted is just above where the ball ends up in Pirates Cove, it seems the kicker sometimes kicks the ball into the plastic there. Mine is broken there, but hard to see (I think anyway)

Comment

Nice pair of pins there Trav (no not your legs). They should keep you going for awhile. Pretty well all of the Bally/williams pins in the early 90's with any form of red/yellow in them have faded even the ones in a basement with a 40w bulb. I currently have an Indy ,FT,Gilligans and all have suffered so has a mates Dr.who. Is this the badge you're after? http://www.marcospecialties.com/item...p?ic=31%2D1493 .
                          http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/forum.../138-RAIL-WAYS

Comment

Sure is mate, I'll get Tony to put it on the list of "Things to get" when he does his next order.
                            SWEET AS!

Comment

Congrats on the new acquisitions, Trav..

Two really cool titles, and yes the art on the BR is awesome. I hope you are taking heaps of pictures before you strip them !

To answer one of your questions - if you are removing the inserts, you may need to look at cutting around the margin of the insert, so when you push them out, it does not ship or disturb the surrounding clearcoat and artwork. This would be a delicate procedure that you might like to trial on an insert that is more hidden that in the "front centre" of the playfield. I have not really done one before - I just pushed them up from behind and then glued - ie - not fully removed them.. Hopefully, someone here has tried it before and can offer better advice..

I look forward to the restore progress !
                              We are the largest supplier of Pinball Ramps in Australia.
                              Distributors for CPR, Pinball Inc, Planetary Pinball, Starship-Fantasy, Ball Baron, Pincore, Cliffy Protectors, Superbands
                              http://http://www.rtbb.com.au/
                              http://https://www.facebook.com/RideTheBoneyBeast

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X