Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AskJacobs' IJ Restoration

Hi Gang,

I've just gotten to the scarey stage with this machine....

I've stripped it back to the dirty, dirty PF.

And have lots of boxes and baggies of what was once the soul of the machine.

And wonder how the hell it will all get back together again...

I have over 200 pics getting to this stage - but I have a problem. This machine has been hacked, bodged and mangled, so my reference pics will really only help me put it back that way

If there are any IJ owners out there, please be patient as I may be asking some q's down the road on what really goes where.

Well, I have 1/4 bottle novus #1, almost a whole rubber set and some time on my hands today. Lets see how it goes!

I'll update later during a break with some stuff...

Cheers!
    Attached Files

That's really..really dirty.

Comment

So,

here is the playfield after some time today... Including lunch with the inlaws and a shopping trip (free time eh?)

Looks a bit better
      Last edited by AskJacob; 9th June 2008, 06:29 PM.

Comment

a lot better.
        In My "arcade":

-Gottlieb Stargate Pinball Machine 1995 () ()
        -U-turn candy dispensing machine ()

More to come!

Comment

That looks heaps better!

Comment

Certainly has made a difference. Just a thought, but while you have it stripped this far it wouldn't be a half bad idea to dismantle the popbumpers and fit new skirts,rod&rings and any broken yokes while access is a lot easier. I also have an IJ that I'm accumulating resto bits for so if you need a photo or such like ,I'm only up at Kariong.
            http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/forum.../138-RAIL-WAYS

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I am pretty happy with it.

I noticed that in the left inlanes where the ball drops out of the wireforms, the playfield is getting a bit 'dented'. The paint is not cracked (thankfully) or chipped, but I am worried it may happen over time...

Some places (like under the PoA) have the factory mylar, (which seems OK so I have decided to leave it on) and they don't seem to be dented.

I was thinking though, apart from the general 'yuk mylar' sentiment I feel areound here that even if I did want to put a small square of mylar there it would probably get bubbles under it because of the dent?

Therefore I am not doing anything yet... but am wondering if it will be a problem over time?

JPD, cheers for the heads up on the pop bumpers. I didn't look at them at all really until just now... 2 of the rings had one of the rods snapped off at the threaded section (which is a pretty obvious weak spot). Thankfully the plungers, yokes and stops are in good nick (but were black!). One of my switches was green in colour too

The bumper caps were already stuffed, so I'm going to be getting 3 new bumper rings, 3 new bodies, 3 skirts and 3 new caps. Just looking for a neat way to get the light sockets out.. shouldn't be too hard with a bit of desoldering and loosening some staples...

So, I'm now at that frustrating stage where work is on hold while I have to wait until I can order some parts....

That's OK, I am a bit sick of the smell of Brasso from polishing all of that stainless steel...

Oh, and is there anyone in Aus that has the saucer scoop? Mine turned into red powder when I looked at it. I haven't seen it at RTBB or Pinball Spare Parts...

Cheers!

Comment

Try Wayne for the saucer scoop. Maybe Fill the dents with super thin super glue from a model shop then use a small piece mylar just at ball drop area. Good idea to lower the red saucer at the mode start with a couple of washes and place some weaterstrip on the back of the scoop,this will result in little to no bounce out which are prone to IJ and very annoying,
                Cheers Gav
                AROUND THE LEFT ORBIT, THROUGH THE POP BUMPERS, OFF THE STAND-UPS, INTO THE RIGHT VUK, DOWN THE RIGHT INLANE, UP THE CENTRE RAMP;NOTHING BUT JACKPOT!

Comment

Originally posted by indazone gav View Post
                  Try Wayne for the saucer scoop. Maybe Fill the dents with super thin super glue from a model shop then use a small piece mylar just at ball drop area. Good idea to lower the red saucer at the mode start with a couple of washes and place some weaterstrip on the back of the scoop,this will result in little to no bounce out which are prone to IJ and very annoying,
                  Cheers Gav
                  Yeah, Ill check out wayne's site later tonight, thanks.

How's you rmachine look in that area I'm talking about? have you had to do anything, or is is ok?

Thanks for the tip on the scoop - I'm aware of that problem! I bought one of those self adhesive rubber 1x1 inch blocks as a test - waaay too thick to work there... so it looks like it will be weather strip.

Speaking of weather strip, what is a good brand you have had success with? I bought some years ago for a project, and the adhesive sucked so badly... having to take of the glass to fish out a loose bit of foam was annoying!

Cheers!

Comment

All the ball drop areas are pretty good on mine. I got the foam from Mitre 10. You can buy it off the roll per metre in low, medium and high density, I found low to be the best one,.....or was it medium. Shit can't remember, just get both, cost about $1 P/M. Tried to attatch a pic showing where I have placed foam,hope it worked
                    Last edited by Gav; 1st September 2008, 04:51 PM.
                    AROUND THE LEFT ORBIT, THROUGH THE POP BUMPERS, OFF THE STAND-UPS, INTO THE RIGHT VUK, DOWN THE RIGHT INLANE, UP THE CENTRE RAMP;NOTHING BUT JACKPOT!

Comment

Yep, can see what you mean there. Looks like medium closed cell stuff there

Man, your wire forms look soo nice.. mine are back to silver (and spotted with corrosion in places).

Cirqus4u has been on my case to get them plated again

I am going to knock up a 'hitlist' for this machine, like I did for my dracula....

It feels good to knock something off the list when it is sorted.

Making the list for this machine may be more depressing than normal

I have to pace out what I can do as $$ become available (don't we all). At least I have another 2 machines working for me... but I do want to play Indie!
                      -----
                      So many smilies.... trying to keep positive?

Comment

Will all be worth it mate. It's such a beautiful machine to look at and to play when your all done.

Comment

Started a new thread asking about drop targets...

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthre...473#post157473

Comment

Nice work Jacob. Lucky you got one with a lost plastic already which saves some $$s.
                            I would put mylar on the ball drop areas even if they are dented because I doubt they will get much worse than where they are now. If they are very bad you could do as Gav suggested with the super glue.
                            I experimented with some different weather strips but none of them lasted very long for me. The ones I tried did not stand up to the constant abuse but Pinbits sell some really good stuff that is still as good on my machine today as it was when I put it on. I thought I had some left that I could just post to you but unfortunately can't find any. Here's the link for it anyway... http://pinbits.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=131

I did a full resto job on my Indy a year ago or so and it came up quite nice but unfortunately it has been plagued with reliability issues that have been really giving me the shits. The plating that Ryan was talking about for the ramps was what he got done for my ramps and they came up great.

Good luck.
                            Mark.
                            Man cannot live with just one pinball.
                            sigpic

Comment

OK, so after the drama this past week (broken into ), and the fact that I have 100% commitments that do not involve pinball this weekend.. and no $$$ for parts (oh quit bloody whinging!) I might as well do something constructive, and write up my list o stuff to do for my IJ:

1 - mylar patch drop zones
                              2 - replace drop targets with matching flush units
                              3 - source new drop target decals (not happy with the prices for these...)
                              4 - replace slingshot plastics
                              5 - clean wire ramps
                              6 - look at getting ramps plated
                              7 - replace legs (rusty) and feet
                              8 - replace busted jackpot plastic
                              9 - remove flipper switch hack, find some optos and put them back in
                              10 - rebuild pop bumpers - new bodies, wafers, rings and caps
                              11 - finish cleaning PF
                              12 - clean ball subway
                              13 - finish re-rubbering
                              14 - de-rust or replace the metal posts
                              15 - fix ruins (cracks/holes)
                              16 - replace missing screws in the gun
                              17 - find a BiPlane somewhere
                              18 - Play!

Stuff I have done so far:

1 - fixed dead flashers. None worked at all. Fault: fuse blows immediately. Cause: Short in bridge. Bridge replaced, all OK
                              2 - Cleaned Idol assembly (inside and out)
                              3 - Stripped and cleaned a majority of the PF
                              4 - Removed, cleaned and fixed (dry solder etc) every PCB, including light assemblies.
                              5 - relamped the machine
                              6 - polished all SS parts
                              7 - lots of other small things I'm sure...
                              Last edited by AskJacob; 9th May 2008, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X