Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Frankenstein Restore

This is the Sega I picked up a few weeks back. Its really a heap of crap with some serious electronics faults. I managed to clean and touch up the cabinet and scored a full set of new plastics for $35 US off ebay and new display for $200 A. Not to bad to play on Pinmame, but hope its a better game to play in reality? Will I be dissappointed?????:evil

Post some more pic's shortly.

What did you pay for it?

How serious is the PF damage?

What sort of electronic faults (game does not start, no GI etc)

Some people love the game, if you paid $500.00 absolute bargin $1000.00 could be alright with a busted board as well as PF, $2000 with shit needing doing everywhere Hmmm

For the inquisitive

Faults

Various items missing from MPU board inc CPU, RAM & game rom. Hacking on the MPU around the lamp transistors and load resistors. Someone couldn't solder if their life depended on it! Rectifier issue, GI connector burn. POP board looks OK - I have a spare worker anyway. Shonky coils in 2 kickers - will replace, a few lamp Pcb fittings and microswitches missing. L Hand broken on Frankie. No Backglass lock & bracket (whos got one?). I'll replace the sound, display & game ROMs with newies anyway. Large ramp has holes drilled in on one side-WTF? Playfield look good with just a bit of wear in the VK's should come up really good.

Not sure if I should take off the Mylar...anyone had a bad experience with late 90's DE machines with Mylar removal?

Overall its not too bad and will be gleaming when i finish, but mostly I hate it when people try and cover shit up or do shonky things! Just leave it. Origin from Swiss. I think I saw it at Lawsons auction early last year, passed in? Paid <1000

Looks like it will come up good.

I dont think DE/Sega machines had Mylar? I'm pretty sure they are clear coated..at least my JP was.

That's what I was thinking. I'm yet to see mylar on a DE or sega.. I'll have a look at a few tomorrow and see if it is the case or not.

• 3 months later...

Its almost alive!

Small problem (won't boot). Sourcing a new 6264 RAM chip for the CPU board. This restore has been a while..doing some other things and now back on this one. Now its is coming to an end it really looks great. Almost like a brand new machine - if I do say so myself. The playfield came up great and is extremely shinny. I did end up removing the Mylar without to many hassles.

Looking forward to the first game soon. :cool:

Thanks. Looks pretty sad sitting there not working though. I picked up 25* RAM socket pulls for $10 from the states a week or so back...1 of them should work..I hope...Where did you get you RAM chips? Not so common around the usual electronic suppliers.

I ordered a bunch o those ram chips when I saw the market drying up a few years ago... They were 'hardish' to find about 5 years ago when I needed one, so when I found them I grabbed 5...

And then just the other week managed to find 4 in some old printer PCBs I had in a box waiting to strip (I collect quite a lot of PCBs to strip for parts).

They are still around though, never found any easily in Oz though.

These guys have them, http://www.futurlec.com.au/test13.jsp?category=Integrated%20Circuits%20-%20RAM&category_title=RAM&main_menu=IC&sub_menu=ICRAM

6264p-12, $3.48 each.

They look aus, but are based in singapore. Have had over 10 orders from them with out issue. Pretty reasonable prices for components... Shame I don't get anything for the plug.

Cheers

• 1 month later...