Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

TAF from scratch

Well I have been gathering parts for a TAF now for about 5-6 years and I believe I have most of the machine bits sorted to start. It has been around a year since I finished an IJ and I have found it seems to take around 6 to 12 months for the motivation to kick in to start another restore. In this case I needed more then usual because of the work needed, but its come around so im getting stuck right in. This was always a grail pin for me, not up there with IJ but certainly top 5. I must admit though that I think my family is more excited about this machine coming to life then any others I have done. The weird thing is I never really watched the movies when they first come out. I only watched them properly (saw parts back in the day, but never took much notice) more recently with the family, and was completely blown away by just how great they were!!

These parts have come from all over the world really, local, US, Romania, Bulgaria, UK, lol ! I originally had a p/f to be restored, but when CPR did a repro I grabbed one of those real quick!

Since starting out the less common parts have become a lot easier to get (if you want to buy them new), like the bookcase assembly, Thing hand assembly etc, so it was really starting to come together.

If anyone has a suitable complete cab lying around (doesn’t need any hardware) I might be interested as I will have to make one from scratch otherwise.

Also, desperately looking for a mansion light board (the big one). Going to have to improvise with this I think..

Anyway, here are a few pic’s of progress so far..

Cabinet parts etc

NnfSPHH.jpg

Playfield parts

62mTJm3.jpg?1

Boards, wiring harness for cab (I think), and metal backbox plate

oDH3RsY.jpg

czcL83Q.jpg

tHWvd7T.jpg

New parts needed

mfiivs5.jpg

So the first thing I did to start getting my head around it was pull out the old p/f and lay all the parts out on it. This would also confirm what parts I had missing (to some extent)

Kjw4iqL.jpg

FtDzWQ3.jpg

fO9temQ.jpg

Then it was time to send all the metal bits off to get redone. I normally get stuff electroplated, but the thought of sending so many small parts away, and the very long turn around times (talking 4 to 8 weeks) with the company I normally use, was cringy. I have a powdercoater around the corner so decided this might be worth a shot. The TAF theme seemed to kind of suit black anyway, so I had all the parts done in satin black. There was around 30 parts. A week later I had them all back finished, and it cost a grand total of $150 for the lot !! Happy is an understatement, and I will be doing this again next game !

One thing I learned = Obviously you need to put screws in any threaded hole so they dont fill up, but the lesson was to keep the ends of each screw flush with the back of the hole (dont screw them through). This will stop the buildup of coating on the end of the screw, which makes it harder to get them back out afterwards..<_<

cDBiMYs.jpg

Mi4Brgd.jpg

efGxLEa.jpg

Now its time to start assembly for real !

91DYouf.jpg

All boards have been sent to Ken, serviced with game roms installed, and returned back to me, Thanks Ken!!

I will keep posting updates as things come along..

Bookcase assembled from scratch with new ir boards wired up. Yes, it would have made sense to have different coloured wires for the top and bottom..:lol Anyway, have plenty of pic's and colour coded things with cable ties..

Also had the turntable facing the wrong way lol, guess this is what happens when you have never seen one before ! :)

Question - Can anyone advise if there is suppose to be a saddle or clamp supporting the bookcase cable's (the IR board ones)? Seems odd to not have these supported with anything but the solder connection's. I have some corro tube to go over them but still..

SOXvp2w.jpg

QNA3noC.jpg

Vw540SC.jpg

GDnpzOX.jpg

pWbgGz4.jpg

15Do9K4.jpg

0EwZ4b5.jpg

Sunday night progress..

Ordered the wrong sling switches. Thought they were all the same, so only looked up the first sling part number I found and ordered 4 of. Of course this was the only one that was different to the rest, so had to turn 3 of them around. :realmad:

ZRzUxzw.jpg

mwpIyf1.jpg

New hand for the Thing mech I got second hand, serviced the wiring loom as well before installing.

ixv0n87.jpg

Hooked it up to my 12v power supply to check the switch setting, everything worked well and I just had to adjust the shaft trigger thing slightly but looks good!

RbtZoDl.jpg

WA1uAHD.jpg

Done a heap of fiddling around with other mech's and stuff, but this was the main accomplishment.

Q: The back of the Thing steel ball box doesn't have mounting screws, it looks like it slots into something, does anyone know how this works?

Yep, 2 tech screws on front edge. There is a channel piece that screws in from behind playfield. Thing box the holds in the channel.

Can picture and send this afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s your plan for the wiring harnesses, have you bought second hand or are you wiring the machine from scratch? Either way freakin awesome project

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

What’s your plan for the wiring harnesses, have you bought second hand or are you wiring the machine from scratch? Either way freakin awesome project

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I have a TAF p/f wiring loom which I think is all there. It was cut out off the original machine though, so I will have to marry it up to a different headbox loom I got for it.

Had to remove it anyway [emoji3]

Awesome pic's Turbo, thanks heaps !!! :041::041:

I recognise that part (in a box here somewhere..), and now I know were it goes !!

While you are at it could you give me the dimensions of the back panel? Can you also confirm if it has any cutouts or things in it other then just being a straight piece of timber?

Edited by FLEX

Well, all underside hardware and machinery seems to be done!

UO6EqRu.jpg

Bx7gp4c.jpg

BNGRCvZ.jpg

FnGWJm4.jpg

Now to pull out this birds nest, clean it, and start the dreaded harness install long haul..

YlOxn0u.jpg

w9FMpuP.jpg

Hopefully its all there, and the cable's haven't been chopped off short..

First to tackle the G.I and insert lighting harness. Replaced all the light sockets, having to reference the manual along the way due to lamp holders being cut off etc..

Probably took around 4-5 hours for this one loom.. Done now though, so moving on to the switch loom.

pF66Pqs.jpg

xQbnrXd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the wiring harnesses, YAAAAAYYY !!! :041::041:

Found a couple of issues along the way, one of the interesting ones was that I initially couldn't find two of the the left upper flipper cables. Eventually I found them cut right back and tucked inside the harness, one of which had been cut and stripped back (shown in the pic with repair already made), the other just cut off. It makes you wonder what the history of the machine was, like did someone just cut the cables instead of fixing the flipper at some stage hmmm.. :huh:

Anyway, found the matching cables in another harness I have and did the repair, also added a triple fuse holder for the magnet's.

Had to stop to go watch GOT :D . Just need to double check I havnt missed anything and then install the cable brackets and tidy it all up with cable ties. Big relief though !!!!

evRV7cq.jpg

WP4od9a.jpg

oJSh47Q.jpg

TqUXqdO.jpg

msHeqHB.jpg

Well, aside from a molex connector, and to fabricate a new mansion light board, all the wiring is now connected to the p/f !! It doesn't seem like something to celebrate, but I have found that this part of any machine restoration is the most tedious and daunting, and to get past it brings a whole new boost of motivation to crack on with the job.

I wasn't sure how best to retain the Thing hand cable though (I actually added another tie). It seemed odd that from pictures of other machines it just seemed to hang loose? Anyway see how it goes!

59VpSjC.jpg

z3Ett6x.jpg

0r5p983.jpg

RXK0S7H.jpg

There also seems to be another EMI brake PCB at the top of the p/f tucked under the wiring harness, but there is no record of this in the manual, or cables that i haven't connected yet. Can anyone give me a clue about this?

A couple of pic's off the net of what looks like an EMI board;

YZhUpKI.jpg

MCCQkNF.jpg

The space empty on mine, but no spare wires either :unsure;

OuklH5o.jpg

At a quick glance in the manual, it’s in the “parts not shown” list at bottom of under playfield parts.

Also in the schematic.

Looking at pics from the net, it goes directly to things [emoji1671]hand ? Or at least the motor.

I’ll head over and pop the hood I a minute.

ee60aa940b9c0d95081e270419a2851b.jpg

c0301eac4dda534b7608fba3353a4450.jpg

61dfa9eeaa27649f10b26ec2b89b0374.jpg