Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

glue inserts back in playfield

I've used super glue gel which seems ok, but you've got to get them right first time.

I have usually sanded the insert flat, so you can't just push it all the way in as it will finish up too low.

I have heard some people use pva wood glue which I believe you can get out again if needed, but this may not be ideal if you are clear coating.

As above mentioned,

Super Glue Gel is your friend

Get em in straight and level first go as the gel takes hold real quick and no room for mistakes or your going to have to knock em out again and redo

SUPER GLUE Control Gel

SUPER GLUE Control Gel worked a treat for me and I used the end of a steel ruler,

which would span the insert hole, to ensure the refitting was flat & level with the PF

i pushed the insert in gently by hand leaving it a few millimetres above the deck and then'

carefully pushed it down with the steel ruler end until it stopped at the PF surface

I then turned the ruler 90 degrees and checked again that the insert was flush both in

a "north - south" & "east - west" direction

the gel was good because it allowed for a slow sag rather than a fast evaporating liquid

which absorbs very fast into the raw insert hole edges

****put a ring of glue SPARINGLY around the bottom of the insert and it wont ooze

out the top onto the deck

you could very slightly dampen the insert hole perimeter to slow down the absorption of the glue into the wood

and give you the few extra second you need to get it flat

good luck

I have never done this on a playfield, however, I used to be into radio controlled aircraft. There are many kinds of Cyanoacrylate (CA) or as selly's sells it "superglue" available. Thick, thin, slow cure fast cure, instant cure etc...

Anyway, the thick, slow CA glue is available from most hobby shops that have balsa wood products and it would be your friend here. It is thick so it clings to the surface and it doesn't set for about 30 seconds which will give you plenty of wiggle room.

Great Planes offer a good range as can bee seen here and are available pretty readily. Thick, slow set looks right :D