Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide for Cabinet Art

Hi all,
    Searched this site for friggen ages and also the web and could not find what I was after.

Has someone got a guide on applying cabinet art to a Pinny with images?

I'm after the wet method as will be applying new side art to my TZ pinball and don;t want to **** it up. Last time I did it was to my Indy and that was a massive pain in the ass...

Thanks

http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/...net/index.html

got decals to do my TZ as well, you can be the test dummy
    sigpic

Comment

Or maybe shout Shock and Awe a ton of piss and a BBQ.. Apparently he's a dab hand..!

Comment

Originally posted by Savage View Post
        Hi all,
        Searched this site for friggen ages and also the web and could not find what I was after.

Has someone got a guide on applying cabinet art to a Pinny with images?

I'm after the wet method as will be applying new side art to my TZ pinball and don;t want to **** it up. Last time I did it was to my Indy and that was a massive pain in the ass...

Thanks
        The big secret is use Windex blue. You no doubt watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and the old guy sprayed everything with windex. Well the bits they cut out of the movie was the "old guy" doing the decals on his pinball & spraying the cab with windex before he done it!! No probs doing it with windex. In fact I have had a bit of experience appying striping etc & its what many of the pros use. Use a credit card or applicator to smooth it out & get the bubbles out. The best clue I could give you is that check the artwork on the side & compare it to the front so that you get it lined up right. You may need to do the front before the sides. I did my IJ & didnt quite get it lined up on the front but the rest came up excellent. I think it was harder trimming the decals Than it was applying them.

Also when I stripped my TZ (headbox) I found the best thing to remove the old decals was Selleys paint stripper. When I did IJ I thought yep go the same way, but the stripper did absolutely nothing to the decals. I just had to heat & scrape them instead.

Hope that helps.

Wes

Comment

Thanks all.
          I think I'll give it a go.

Stripping is no issue, I'll be 2 pack primer / filler-ing it, then sanding and applying a 2 pack black, sanding this and applying the sticker over that.

I just finished floor tiling so the rubber squeegie thingo will come and handy for this.

Yeah my Indy did not match up to the front either, no matter whta I tried. I can remeber reading somewhere that this was common.

Will start stripping the side and front tomorrow.

Comment

Yeh at least if its wet & not quite right you can peel it back a bit & try & to get it right. By the way you can buy a proper application fluid that sign writers use to apply vinyl signs. I have tried it at work & on my TZ but I really dont think its any better than Windex.

Comment

Originally posted by WOKA View Post
              Or maybe shout Shock and Awe a ton of piss and a BBQ.. Apparently he's a dab hand..!
              Yeah, but Mark and his wife, Hayley, do them dry.

Cheers,

Dan

Comment

alot of guys just stick em over the old decals as well, seen one down this way awhile back, and it looked perfect

Comment

I am happy to help anyone that wants their decals done - no piss or bbq required I don't offer this out there like I'm suggesting I'm an expert in decal application - it really is very easy to do but I know it is a daunting task to face for the first time so I'm happy to help out. My wife and I have done 7 cabs together; the first being my Indi maybe 3 years ago.

I don't want to get into the old "wet vs dry" argument because everyone thinks their way is the right way ....but my opinion is that there are definitely advantages to the dry method over the wet. The only downside to the dry method that I am aware of is a perceived risk of stuffing it up. With proper technique I believe the dry method to be more fool-proof than the wet method.
                  The only thing that matters is that they both work, so neither way is wrong, it all comes down to personal preference or what you're comfortable to do. The most critical part of the whole exercise is the prep of the cabinet - if that's not done right, then it doesn't matter how you apply the decals, it will look like crap!

I reckon it takes maybe 30-40 minutes per side of which only about 5 minutes is applying the decal - the rest is in alignment and trimming etc.

I just completed my AFM cab and I reckon all up it was around a 50-60 hour project maybe more Putting the decals on and all looking good was prob only 3 hours of that. The cab was absolutely trashed so it required heaps of repairs and I'm terrible with that kind of stuff.
                  Man cannot live with just one pinball.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks.
                    I agree, just like when I use to work in a body shop, prep work was about 90% of the work, painting was about 9%.. (1% for detailing )

I'm doing the wet method just cause of the fear factor .. for the warning decals that I just got. See how this goes, I may still ask for your help for the cabinet, but still repairing it. I may attempt one side. But always a BBQ on at my place for anyone that comes over!!!..
                    Cheers

Comment

Can't wait to see how the TZ looks when you are done
                      The Barn - 2020 - 7th and 8th of August
                      SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

Comment

Originally posted by sleazius View Post
                        Can't wait to see how the TZ looks when you are done
                        (Thread hijack.)

It should look like this: (Before and after shots with a one person installation)

Savage,

the hardest part will be aligning the front coin door decal (specifically the black and white spiral artwork aligned correctly over the start button and the blue galaxy artwork over the extra ball button).

If you need any advice feel free to drop me a PM.
                        Last edited by pinsanity; 30th August 2009, 11:43 PM.

Comment

That looks great Reuben! It would definitely make installation a bit more challenging doing it on your own - I saw on Robert Winter's page he was doing it on his own and using weights to keep the decal in position.

It makes a huge difference to the appearance with the colours nice and bright. My TZ is almost perfect on one side but is badly faded on the other side so I've often considered doing the decals on mine too. Where did you get the TZ decals from and what's your thoughts on the quality of them?

I usually don't do decals unless absolutely necessary because repro decals are always more fragile than the original which is probably why I've been holding off on my TZ.
                          Man cannot live with just one pinball.
                          sigpic

Comment

I got my decals from a fella in the US and they are perfect
                            very thick and excellent quality
                            very nervous about putting them on though
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pinball1974 View Post
                              (Thread hijack.)

It should look like this: (Before and after shots with a one person installation)

Savage,

the hardest part will be aligning the front coin door decal (specifically the black and white spiral artwork aligned correctly over the start button and the blue galaxy artwork over the extra ball button).

If you need any advice feel free to drop me a PM.
                              Don't know how I missed this - but it looks great!
                              The Barn - 2020 - 7th and 8th of August
                              SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X